Although still off from June's tally (7.94%), the Mac's share of web traffic was up from July (7.76%). According to freshly released Net Application's data for August, users of the fairer platform accounted for 7.86% of web traffic.
The big news in last month's data is the iPhone's share of traffic, which shot up to 0.3% in August from July's 0.19%. That's a 58% surge, which is born out by sales estimates indicating that Apple sold sold 6-million 3G handsets in under two months.
Together Mac and iPhone users account for 8.16%, which is just North of the previous combined total high of 8.1% in June.
Also of note is the fact that Linux is on the verge of finally cracking the 1% barrier. The endlessly flavored open-source operating system's share of web traffic rose to 0.93% last month, up from 0.82% in July.
Despite much hopeful prognostication, Firefox 3 has failed to super charge market share growth. Yes, the browser's share of online traffic continues to grow, but the world's favorite open-source web client has yet to crack 20%, a milestone that most expected to see pass back in July.
Here's the browser Top 5:
01 Internet Explorer—72.15% (73.02%)
02 Firefox—19.73 (19.22)
03 Safari—6.37 (6.14)
04 Opera—0.74 (0.69)
05 Netscape—0.72 (0.69)
Nevertheless, Firefox, Safari, Opera and moribund Netscape all added share last month at the expense of Internet Explorer.
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
- New Twelve South adjustable HiRise Deluxe matches your device
- Apple’s Eddie Cue goes shopping with Apple Pay
- OWC announces ThunderBay 4 mini portable Thunderbolt 2 RAID
- Video: Did you know your Mac is tracking all your downloads? Here's how to fix that.
- Site tracks Apple Stores replacing bent iPhones
- OWC announces 1 TB upgrades for MacBook Air
- Apple website deregisters iMessage on devices
- Trolling AirDrop
- Microsoft rolls out new iPhone Offices, updates for iPad
- Twelve South releases SurfacePad for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Mac OS X Hints site future uncertain
- Jawbone UP3 adds on more sensors
- Macworld looks at Pioneer's CarPlay upgrade
- $99 iPhone 6 expected at Sam's Club
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
- Walgreens and Apple Pay
- Fitbit bring out three new fitness wristband
- Apple Pay sparks rift between merchants and credit cards
- Podcast: End of Macworld Expo? Mac Hack, Jobs movie + more
- Tool and guides emerge to upgrade older Macs for Yosemite Continuity/Handoff
Browse and search for more articles