Although still off from June's tally (7.94%), the Mac's share of web traffic was up from July (7.76%). According to freshly released Net Application's data for August, users of the fairer platform accounted for 7.86% of web traffic.
The big news in last month's data is the iPhone's share of traffic, which shot up to 0.3% in August from July's 0.19%. That's a 58% surge, which is born out by sales estimates indicating that Apple sold sold 6-million 3G handsets in under two months.
Together Mac and iPhone users account for 8.16%, which is just North of the previous combined total high of 8.1% in June.
Also of note is the fact that Linux is on the verge of finally cracking the 1% barrier. The endlessly flavored open-source operating system's share of web traffic rose to 0.93% last month, up from 0.82% in July.
Despite much hopeful prognostication, Firefox 3 has failed to super charge market share growth. Yes, the browser's share of online traffic continues to grow, but the world's favorite open-source web client has yet to crack 20%, a milestone that most expected to see pass back in July.
Here's the browser Top 5:
01 Internet Explorer—72.15% (73.02%)
02 Firefox—19.73 (19.22)
03 Safari—6.37 (6.14)
04 Opera—0.74 (0.69)
05 Netscape—0.72 (0.69)
Nevertheless, Firefox, Safari, Opera and moribund Netscape all added share last month at the expense of Internet Explorer.
- Logitech announces wired iPad keyboard
- Twitter launches two-factor authentication
- Otterbox acquires LifeProof
- iMap Weather Radio app sends severe weather alerts to your iPhone (Video)
- ZAGGKeys Cover and Folio keyboard cases for iPad mini
- Double Decker from Trans Intl stacks up 2 drives in Mac Pro bays
- Pebble releases new SDK for greater app functions
- iKlip 2 and iKlip Studio for mini now available
- Stitcher Radio gets simplified car mode
- Google shows off new Maps
- App store hits 50 billion downloads
- Google announces new Hangouts app, consolidates messaging
- Newer Technology GripBase Podium stand for iPad
- iMove 9.0.9 for Mac updates camera issues
- 1Password adds new in-app browser, sharing
- Bill Gates reflects of Steve Jobs on 60 Minutes
- ABC to stream network shows live to iOS devices
- Apple issues update for Thunderbolt Macs
- Pixelmator 2.2
- Using the Fitbit One Fitness Tracker (Video)
- Kenburg 5-inch short LightLinez Lightning cable
- Newer Tech reduces cost of miniStack with CD/DVD option
- Plants vs Zombies 2 slated for July
- Fitbit ships Flex wrist fitness tracker
- Gmail app updates keeps iOS users in Google's eco system
Browse and search for more articles