Although still off from June's tally (7.94%), the Mac's share of web traffic was up from July (7.76%). According to freshly released Net Application's data for August, users of the fairer platform accounted for 7.86% of web traffic.
The big news in last month's data is the iPhone's share of traffic, which shot up to 0.3% in August from July's 0.19%. That's a 58% surge, which is born out by sales estimates indicating that Apple sold sold 6-million 3G handsets in under two months.
Together Mac and iPhone users account for 8.16%, which is just North of the previous combined total high of 8.1% in June.
Also of note is the fact that Linux is on the verge of finally cracking the 1% barrier. The endlessly flavored open-source operating system's share of web traffic rose to 0.93% last month, up from 0.82% in July.
Despite much hopeful prognostication, Firefox 3 has failed to super charge market share growth. Yes, the browser's share of online traffic continues to grow, but the world's favorite open-source web client has yet to crack 20%, a milestone that most expected to see pass back in July.
Here's the browser Top 5:
01 Internet Explorer—72.15% (73.02%)
02 Firefox—19.73 (19.22)
03 Safari—6.37 (6.14)
04 Opera—0.74 (0.69)
05 Netscape—0.72 (0.69)
Nevertheless, Firefox, Safari, Opera and moribund Netscape all added share last month at the expense of Internet Explorer.
- Verizon promotion boosts shared data plans
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
- Podcast: Thoughts on iPhone 6/6+, Hot Thighs and Tights Pants, What's Wrong with iPhone Lines
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
- iPhone launch weekend sees 10 million sold
- Thoughts on iPhone sizes
- Apple TV and HomeKit
- iPhone lines and the black market
- Podcast - iPhone pre-orders, iOS 8, Tim Cook Interview + More
- 1Password 5 now available for iOS w/ extensions, touch ID support
- iCloud data gets 2-step verification, new app-specifc passwords
- Apple posts Android switcher guide
- Charlie Rose Tim Cook Interview
- 4 million iPhone orders in first day, up from 2 million for iPhone 5
- Podcast: iPhone 6, Watch, Apple Pay, etc, etc
- New iCloud storage plans rolling out
- Macworld Magazine ends, continues online
- Apple Watch
- The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- Apple Pay
- Podcast: iCloud security tips, TheFappening, Apple Event, plus more
- Wired on how iCloud accounts may have been hacked
- My iCloud security tips
Browse and search for more articles