Although still off from June's tally (7.94%), the Mac's share of web traffic was up from July (7.76%). According to freshly released Net Application's data for August, users of the fairer platform accounted for 7.86% of web traffic.
The big news in last month's data is the iPhone's share of traffic, which shot up to 0.3% in August from July's 0.19%. That's a 58% surge, which is born out by sales estimates indicating that Apple sold sold 6-million 3G handsets in under two months.
Together Mac and iPhone users account for 8.16%, which is just North of the previous combined total high of 8.1% in June.
Also of note is the fact that Linux is on the verge of finally cracking the 1% barrier. The endlessly flavored open-source operating system's share of web traffic rose to 0.93% last month, up from 0.82% in July.
Despite much hopeful prognostication, Firefox 3 has failed to super charge market share growth. Yes, the browser's share of online traffic continues to grow, but the world's favorite open-source web client has yet to crack 20%, a milestone that most expected to see pass back in July.
Here's the browser Top 5:
01 Internet Explorer—72.15% (73.02%)
02 Firefox—19.73 (19.22)
03 Safari—6.37 (6.14)
04 Opera—0.74 (0.69)
05 Netscape—0.72 (0.69)
Nevertheless, Firefox, Safari, Opera and moribund Netscape all added share last month at the expense of Internet Explorer.
- Taking stock of Apple's own OS X apps
- Continuity Activation Tool now for USB dongles
- The backstory on iOS 8's wallpaper
- Twelve South announces BookBook for iPhone 6/6+
- Apple's new touching The Song ad
- Video: Post-It Note App for iOS captures your notes
- iDevices looks to jumpstart Homekit adoption
- Initial Apple-IBM enterprise solutions announced
- OWC announces SSD upgrade for new Mac Pros
- Apple TV gets YouTube update
- iTunes features best of 2014
- Link: Gift Guide for Bourbon Drinkers
- iPad 2 ad Change
- Jimmy Iovine interview on selling Beats to Apple
- Elgato ships Thunderbolt 2 Dock
- Quora: Should Apple recall the iPhone 6 Plus?
- Link - iCloud security tips
- Other World Computing Holiday Specials
- Trans Intl Holiday Deals
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
Browse and search for more articles