Although still off from June's tally (7.94%), the Mac's share of web traffic was up from July (7.76%). According to freshly released Net Application's data for August, users of the fairer platform accounted for 7.86% of web traffic.
The big news in last month's data is the iPhone's share of traffic, which shot up to 0.3% in August from July's 0.19%. That's a 58% surge, which is born out by sales estimates indicating that Apple sold sold 6-million 3G handsets in under two months.
Together Mac and iPhone users account for 8.16%, which is just North of the previous combined total high of 8.1% in June.
Also of note is the fact that Linux is on the verge of finally cracking the 1% barrier. The endlessly flavored open-source operating system's share of web traffic rose to 0.93% last month, up from 0.82% in July.
Despite much hopeful prognostication, Firefox 3 has failed to super charge market share growth. Yes, the browser's share of online traffic continues to grow, but the world's favorite open-source web client has yet to crack 20%, a milestone that most expected to see pass back in July.
Here's the browser Top 5:
01 Internet Explorer—72.15% (73.02%)
02 Firefox—19.73 (19.22)
03 Safari—6.37 (6.14)
04 Opera—0.74 (0.69)
05 Netscape—0.72 (0.69)
Nevertheless, Firefox, Safari, Opera and moribund Netscape all added share last month at the expense of Internet Explorer.
- Podcast: iPhone 6 rumors, CarPlay, Titanfall (#107)
- New app aims to get you out of awkward situations
- Hackintosh: Updating to OS X 10.9.2 + Tips (#21)
- Twelve South announces SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Apple-Tesla battery connection
- Report: Mobile Internet access passes desktop
- Random Steve Jobs stories
- Apple rebrands iOS in the Car as CarPlay
- Video: Kershaw Ken Onion Chive Pocket Knife
- Podcast: Apple's security issue, XBox One grievances + dashboard update
- David Fincher may direct Jobs movie
- FCC Launches iOS broadband survey tester/tool
- OS X security update now available
- Hackintosh Series: Haswell OS X Install and Config + Tips (#20)
- Tips for securing your Mac and data from theft
- Tainted Love backed up by floppy drives
- On the delay updating OS X on gotofail
- Apple’s gotofail security gap extends to OS X
- Trailer for Mike Judge’s Silicon Valley
- Video: Hackintosh Series: BIOS Setup (#19)
- Comcast and Netflix work out a deal
- Steve Jobs to be on postage stamp
- iTunes Festival at SXSW
- Element Case adds iPad Air Soft-Tec Folio case
- Detailed look at coverage of Google’s fortunes vs Apple
Browse and search for more articles