iPhone Atlas has been crawling around inside the iPhone 2.1 firmware beta and found a few interesting things.
References to turn-by-turn directions functionality has been found.
However, the "new" bit of information that caused our ears to prick up is the appearance of a reference to "iPod2,1." Of course, current iPods are identified by the "iPod1,1" moniker.
We've know for some time that Apple's planning an iPod refresh, likely before the end of this calendar quarter. Most expect only a modest update, that will likely see a tweaking of colors and storage capacity.
[u] However, for its part, iLounge claims that an updated iPod nano return to its original tall form factor and resemble Microsoft's Zune Flash. Say it isn't so...
Meanwhile, Reuters (ITBusinessNet) reports that Dell is testing a new mp3 player and could begin selling it as early as September. The company has already failed once in this market segment, as have dozens of other companies that thought they could unseat Apple and its world-beating iPod.[u]
- Podcast: Jony Ive, Apple Watch Apps + more
- Rumors of Google Now like features in iOS 9
- Same day delivery option appears on Apple Store app
- Solving Apple Pre-Order Problems
- Ive named Chief Design Officer
- Gold plate your Apple Watch at home
- OWC announces Accelsior S PCIe mount for SSD drives
- Speed tests on MacBook Pro SSD speeds
- Apple Watch OS 1.0.1 Released
- Apple TV set reported abandoned
- MacBook Pro gains Force Touch, iMac 5K gets new pricing
- Video: How to sign/encrypt email using OS X Mail and a secure certificate authority CA
- LifeProof ships water-proof battery backup case
- Apple Watch lacks anti-theft security
- iGrill thermometer comes to the Apple Watch
- Apple Pay chipping away at Walmart backed CurrentC
- Safari on the Apple Watch
- Vulnerability found with MacKeeper
- Mac App Store sales
- Reserve Strap and the secret Apple Watch plug
- Apple Watch Review Diary: UX, odds and ends
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Battery: First Full Week
- Podcast: Thoughts on the Apple Watch
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Notifications
- Apple's supply chain and the defective taptic engine part
Browse and search for more articles