iPhone Atlas has been crawling around inside the iPhone 2.1 firmware beta and found a few interesting things.
References to turn-by-turn directions functionality has been found.
However, the "new" bit of information that caused our ears to prick up is the appearance of a reference to "iPod2,1." Of course, current iPods are identified by the "iPod1,1" moniker.
We've know for some time that Apple's planning an iPod refresh, likely before the end of this calendar quarter. Most expect only a modest update, that will likely see a tweaking of colors and storage capacity.
[u] However, for its part, iLounge claims that an updated iPod nano return to its original tall form factor and resemble Microsoft's Zune Flash. Say it isn't so...
Meanwhile, Reuters (ITBusinessNet) reports that Dell is testing a new mp3 player and could begin selling it as early as September. The company has already failed once in this market segment, as have dozens of other companies that thought they could unseat Apple and its world-beating iPod.[u]
- Trans Intl announce performance 2 TB Tiger SSD
- Ken Segall on Apple Watch's killer app
- Video: FLIR One thermal camera w/ Lightning Connector for iOS (Second Generation)
- Second gen FLIR One thermal cam with Lightning connector now available
- Report: How free apps are changing ad-supported content
- iOS 9 looks to free up space for OS upgrades
- CarPlay coming to select 2016 Buick and GMC vehicles
- Apple changes course on Radio payments during trial
- Taylor Swift sounds off on Apple Music free trial
- Apple patches some issues with XARA exploit
- On Apple's accessibility push with iOS
- Snowden on Apple privacy initiatives
- Nice overview of new OS X and iOS vulnerabilities
- OS X/iOS flaws may make passwords vunerable
- Dark Sky weather app gets major update
- Adobe announces updates to Creative Cloud
- Instacast podcast player is discontinued
- Apple Pay to deliver 71.5%+ split to music owners
- Ars Technical looks at El Capitan
- Podcast: iOS 9, El Capitan, Apple Watch + More
- Apple’s Schiller talks about 16 GB on entry level devices
- OWC USB-C Dock goes on pre-order
- Apple Watch watchOS 2 announced with native apps
- iOS 9 announced with refinements and iPad features
- OS X 10.11 El Capitan announced
Browse and search for more articles