Quoting Taiwan's enigmatic Commercial Times, MarketWatch reports that AU Optronics and Chi Mei Optoelectronics, leading notebook LCD makers, have nabbed panel contracts for a new MacBook, which will be launched in the third quarter.
The companies are expected to provide up to three million units, evenly split between the two.
Further, AppleInsider reported in early April that the mothership had placed an order for Aluminum enclosures for new MacBooks.
The above information compliments an earlier IGM write up that posited that Apple's pro and consumer portable lines will be significantly upgraded in the third quarter. That report said that the MacBook would get an Aluminum enclosure outside and Intel's next-gen Montevina processor (1066MHz FSB, up to 2.8GHz) inside.
Thereupon, transition to an Aluminum enclosure and LED backlit displays, already included in the MBP, will help Apple meet its stated goal of reducing the use of plastics in its products by year's end.
- Walk through video on upgrading Mac Pro CPU
- Podcast: iPhone 6 rumors, CarPlay, Titanfall (#107)
- New app aims to get you out of awkward situations
- Hackintosh: Updating to OS X 10.9.2 + Tips (#21)
- Twelve South announces SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Apple-Tesla battery connection
- Report: Mobile Internet access passes desktop
- Random Steve Jobs stories
- Apple rebrands iOS in the Car as CarPlay
- Video: Kershaw Ken Onion Chive Pocket Knife
- Podcast: Apple's security issue, XBox One grievances + dashboard update
- David Fincher may direct Jobs movie
- FCC Launches iOS broadband survey tester/tool
- OS X security update now available
- Hackintosh Series: Haswell OS X Install and Config + Tips (#20)
- Tips for securing your Mac and data from theft
- Tainted Love backed up by floppy drives
- On the delay updating OS X on gotofail
- Apple’s gotofail security gap extends to OS X
- Trailer for Mike Judge’s Silicon Valley
- Video: Hackintosh Series: BIOS Setup (#19)
- Comcast and Netflix work out a deal
- Steve Jobs to be on postage stamp
- iTunes Festival at SXSW
- Element Case adds iPad Air Soft-Tec Folio case
Browse and search for more articles