Quoting Taiwan's enigmatic Commercial Times, MarketWatch reports that AU Optronics and Chi Mei Optoelectronics, leading notebook LCD makers, have nabbed panel contracts for a new MacBook, which will be launched in the third quarter.
The companies are expected to provide up to three million units, evenly split between the two.
Further, AppleInsider reported in early April that the mothership had placed an order for Aluminum enclosures for new MacBooks.
The above information compliments an earlier IGM write up that posited that Apple's pro and consumer portable lines will be significantly upgraded in the third quarter. That report said that the MacBook would get an Aluminum enclosure outside and Intel's next-gen Montevina processor (1066MHz FSB, up to 2.8GHz) inside.
Thereupon, transition to an Aluminum enclosure and LED backlit displays, already included in the MBP, will help Apple meet its stated goal of reducing the use of plastics in its products by year's end.
- Trans Intl announce performance 2 TB Tiger SSD
- Ken Segall on Apple Watch's killer app
- Video: FLIR One thermal camera w/ Lightning Connector for iOS (Second Generation)
- Second gen FLIR One thermal cam with Lightning connector now available
- Report: How free apps are changing ad-supported content
- iOS 9 looks to free up space for OS upgrades
- CarPlay coming to select 2016 Buick and GMC vehicles
- Apple changes course on Radio payments during trial
- Taylor Swift sounds off on Apple Music free trial
- Apple patches some issues with XARA exploit
- On Apple's accessibility push with iOS
- Snowden on Apple privacy initiatives
- Nice overview of new OS X and iOS vulnerabilities
- OS X/iOS flaws may make passwords vunerable
- Dark Sky weather app gets major update
- Adobe announces updates to Creative Cloud
- Instacast podcast player is discontinued
- Apple Pay to deliver 71.5%+ split to music owners
- Ars Technical looks at El Capitan
- Podcast: iOS 9, El Capitan, Apple Watch + More
- Apple’s Schiller talks about 16 GB on entry level devices
- OWC USB-C Dock goes on pre-order
- Apple Watch watchOS 2 announced with native apps
- iOS 9 announced with refinements and iPad features
- OS X 10.11 El Capitan announced
Browse and search for more articles