Quoting Taiwan's enigmatic Commercial Times, MarketWatch reports that AU Optronics and Chi Mei Optoelectronics, leading notebook LCD makers, have nabbed panel contracts for a new MacBook, which will be launched in the third quarter.
The companies are expected to provide up to three million units, evenly split between the two.
Further, AppleInsider reported in early April that the mothership had placed an order for Aluminum enclosures for new MacBooks.
The above information compliments an earlier IGM write up that posited that Apple's pro and consumer portable lines will be significantly upgraded in the third quarter. That report said that the MacBook would get an Aluminum enclosure outside and Intel's next-gen Montevina processor (1066MHz FSB, up to 2.8GHz) inside.
Thereupon, transition to an Aluminum enclosure and LED backlit displays, already included in the MBP, will help Apple meet its stated goal of reducing the use of plastics in its products by year's end.
- New Steve Jobs book announced
- Apple promotes iPhone 6 photo gallery
- Tim Cook talks up customer privacy
- iPhone design and battery life
- Apple event scheduled for March 9th
- Pebble announces follow-up Time watch
- Report: Apple retooling in-store genius bar appointments
- YouTube launches family-friendly app for kids
- Apple announces two new data centers in Europe
- New Apple ad features Martin Scorsese and iPads
- Podcast: Apple Car and iPhone 6 to 6+ upgrade?
- Office Suite for iOS adds iCloud storage
- Modern Family episode shot on iPhones, iPads, MacBook
- Dropbox adds new iOS 8 extension
- New Yorker profile highlights Ive's leadership
- Apple Car rumor hits the right checkboxes
- Two-factor verification now active on iMessage and FaceTime
- Gassée on Apple redefining what's possible
- Apple looks to power California footprint with 25-year solar deal
- Apple uses store shelves to control iPhone designs leaks
- Podcast: Super Bowl, Apple Photos, New Verizon Rates, Plane Crash App
- New Photos app available in pre-release of OS X 10.10.3
- Report: Apple pitching new plan to TV industry
- Latest Verizon promo trims pricing on some plans
- Report: Jobs bio movie expected October 9th
Browse and search for more articles