Intel's next-gen consumer Centrino 2 platform will be introduced the first week of June at Computex in Taipei, Taiwan. In order to avoid (*cough*) confusion, they're calling it Montevina (wiki), which is expected to be the core around which Apple redesigns its MacBook and MacBook Pro product lines.
Thereupon,Electronista has some dirt to dish:
1066MHz front-side bus
2.26 to 2.8 GHz processors
New chipset, motherboard
MacBook will gain an Aluminum / stainless steel enclosure
'Thin is in,' designs cues from the iMac, MBA
Multi-touch trackpad isn't certain for both product lines
LED-backlit displays might make it into both products
Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard now only $109.98! Order NOW!
Regarding the last point, Steve Jobs has promised that Apple will "reduce and eventually eliminate the use of mercury by transitioning to LED backlighting when technically and economically feasible."
The question then is are Apple's Taiwanese / Chinese suppliers making enough relatively new and popular backlit LEDs? Perhaps, but economic downturns often accelerate rather than impede technology transitions (ie companies prefer to sell higher margin items during a time of low volume).
Also, Apple has a track record of aggressively transitioning to new technologies where it sees long-term advantage, and backlit LEDs don't use Mercury and use less electricity (wiki).
A double win? We'll have to wait a couple months to find out for sure, but I'm betting Apple will push the envelope...
What's your take?
Exclusive offer. Limited time only.
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
- New Twelve South adjustable HiRise Deluxe matches your device
- Apples Eddie Cue goes shopping with Apple Pay
- OWC announces ThunderBay 4 mini portable Thunderbolt 2 RAID
- Video: Did you know your Mac is tracking all your downloads? Here's how to fix that.
- Site tracks Apple Stores replacing bent iPhones
- OWC announces 1 TB upgrades for MacBook Air
- Apple website deregisters iMessage on devices
- Trolling AirDrop
- Microsoft rolls out new iPhone Offices, updates for iPad
- Twelve South releases SurfacePad for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Mac OS X Hints site future uncertain
- Jawbone UP3 adds on more sensors
- Macworld looks at Pioneer's CarPlay upgrade
- $99 iPhone 6 expected at Sam's Club
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
- Walgreens and Apple Pay
- Fitbit bring out three new fitness wristband
Browse and search for more articles