Intel's next-gen consumer Centrino 2 platform will be introduced the first week of June at Computex in Taipei, Taiwan. In order to avoid (*cough*) confusion, they're calling it Montevina (wiki), which is expected to be the core around which Apple redesigns its MacBook and MacBook Pro product lines.
Thereupon,Electronista has some dirt to dish:
• 1066MHz front-side bus
• 2.26 to 2.8 GHz processors
• New chipset, motherboard
• MacBook will gain an Aluminum / stainless steel enclosure
— 'Thin is in,' designs cues from the iMac, MBA
• Multi-touch trackpad isn't certain for both product lines
• LED-backlit displays might make it into both products
Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard now only $109.98! Order NOW!
Regarding the last point, Steve Jobs has promised that Apple will "reduce and eventually eliminate the use of mercury by transitioning to LED backlighting when technically and economically feasible."
The question then is are Apple's Taiwanese / Chinese suppliers making enough relatively new and popular backlit LEDs? Perhaps, but economic downturns often accelerate rather than impede technology transitions (ie companies prefer to sell higher margin items during a time of low volume).
Also, Apple has a track record of aggressively transitioning to new technologies where it sees long-term advantage, and backlit LEDs don't use Mercury and use less electricity (wiki).
A double win? We'll have to wait a couple months to find out for sure, but I'm betting Apple will push the envelope...
What's your take?
Exclusive offer. Limited time only.
- My iCloud security tips
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
- Podcast: Looftlighter, Sapphire Glass, Robin Williams, Google Customer Service, plus more
- Apple mission statement on its culture of diversity
- A look at Apple University
- iPhone 6 prank
- Podcast: iPhone announcement date, traffic school, Apple-Samsung lawsuit, plus more
- iPhone event reportedly set for September 9th
- Apple, Samsung work towards burying the patent hatchet
- OWC adds software RAID option for ThunderBay external storage
- The Verge: Comcast’s internal customer retention guide
- Lightning dockStubz connector helps solve problem of docking with a case
- iPassword offering extension for third party iOS 8 apps
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
Browse and search for more articles