Intel's next-gen consumer Centrino 2 platform will be introduced the first week of June at Computex in Taipei, Taiwan. In order to avoid (*cough*) confusion, they're calling it Montevina (wiki), which is expected to be the core around which Apple redesigns its MacBook and MacBook Pro product lines.
Thereupon,Electronista has some dirt to dish:
• 1066MHz front-side bus
• 2.26 to 2.8 GHz processors
• New chipset, motherboard
• MacBook will gain an Aluminum / stainless steel enclosure
— 'Thin is in,' designs cues from the iMac, MBA
• Multi-touch trackpad isn't certain for both product lines
• LED-backlit displays might make it into both products
Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard now only $109.98! Order NOW!
Regarding the last point, Steve Jobs has promised that Apple will "reduce and eventually eliminate the use of mercury by transitioning to LED backlighting when technically and economically feasible."
The question then is are Apple's Taiwanese / Chinese suppliers making enough relatively new and popular backlit LEDs? Perhaps, but economic downturns often accelerate rather than impede technology transitions (ie companies prefer to sell higher margin items during a time of low volume).
Also, Apple has a track record of aggressively transitioning to new technologies where it sees long-term advantage, and backlit LEDs don't use Mercury and use less electricity (wiki).
A double win? We'll have to wait a couple months to find out for sure, but I'm betting Apple will push the envelope...
What's your take?
Exclusive offer. Limited time only.
- Walmart to launch iPhone 5s, 5c Christmas sales
- Apple TV adds additional content from ABC, others
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas launches for iOS
- Angry Birds Go launches
- Straight Talk launches iPhone 5s, 5c sans contracts
- Wired looks at Square's card reader redesign
- Twitter for iOS gets update for DM photos
- Real world use of iBeacon in Apple stores
- 1Password for Mac 4.1 bring a number of improvements
- WSJ blasts ant-trust judge and prosecutor
- BassJump Subwoofer gets update for Mavericks
- Video: Shinola Premium Leather iPhone 5/5s case
- Honda announces further integration with iPhones
- Apple acquires Topsy Labs
- A look at some 4K monitor options
- Rockstar bringing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas to iOS
- GLIF iPhone mount get update to be adjustable
- Honda rolling out Siri Eye Free on selection 2014 vehicles
- ScreenFlow 4.5 now available with Mavericks support
- Apple announces Black Friday sales
- iPhone 5s now available unlocked from Apple
- Apple buys 3D sensor company
- Podcast: Power outage, bad phone carriers, PS4, CoD, plus more
- Fifty Three announces Pencil Stylus
- OWC adds USB 3.0 to Mercury Elite Pro Qx2 enclosures
Browse and search for more articles