Intel's next-gen consumer Centrino 2 platform will be introduced the first week of June at Computex in Taipei, Taiwan. In order to avoid (*cough*) confusion, they're calling it Montevina (wiki), which is expected to be the core around which Apple redesigns its MacBook and MacBook Pro product lines.
Thereupon,Electronista has some dirt to dish:
• 1066MHz front-side bus
• 2.26 to 2.8 GHz processors
• New chipset, motherboard
• MacBook will gain an Aluminum / stainless steel enclosure
— 'Thin is in,' designs cues from the iMac, MBA
• Multi-touch trackpad isn't certain for both product lines
• LED-backlit displays might make it into both products
Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard now only $109.98! Order NOW!
Regarding the last point, Steve Jobs has promised that Apple will "reduce and eventually eliminate the use of mercury by transitioning to LED backlighting when technically and economically feasible."
The question then is are Apple's Taiwanese / Chinese suppliers making enough relatively new and popular backlit LEDs? Perhaps, but economic downturns often accelerate rather than impede technology transitions (ie companies prefer to sell higher margin items during a time of low volume).
Also, Apple has a track record of aggressively transitioning to new technologies where it sees long-term advantage, and backlit LEDs don't use Mercury and use less electricity (wiki).
A double win? We'll have to wait a couple months to find out for sure, but I'm betting Apple will push the envelope...
What's your take?
Exclusive offer. Limited time only.
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
- iPhone launch weekend sees 10 million sold
- Thoughts on iPhone sizes
- Apple TV and HomeKit
- iPhone lines and the black market
- Podcast - iPhone pre-orders, iOS 8, Tim Cook Interview + More
- 1Password 5 now available for iOS w/ extensions, touch ID support
- iCloud data gets 2-step verification, new app-specifc passwords
- Apple posts Android switcher guide
- Charlie Rose Tim Cook Interview
- 4 million iPhone orders in first day, up from 2 million for iPhone 5
- Podcast: iPhone 6, Watch, Apple Pay, etc, etc
- New iCloud storage plans rolling out
- Macworld Magazine ends, continues online
- Apple Watch
- The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- Apple Pay
- Podcast: iCloud security tips, TheFappening, Apple Event, plus more
- Wired on how iCloud accounts may have been hacked
- My iCloud security tips
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
Browse and search for more articles