AlleyInsider says they just go off the iPhone with Walt "it will be 3G in 60 days" Mossberg who now says he has no idea when Apple's next-gen handset will ship.
In fact, he says he based this 'ballpark estimate' on the same information the rest of us have.
"If I knew when this date was, why would I announce it in the middle of a sentence at the Finnish embassy, rather than report it in the Wall Street Journal?"
Well gee, Walt, we give up. Why would you announce it in the middle of a sentence while the entire planet was hanging on your every word?
OK, so he's not perfect and we shouldn't get too bent out of shape simply because a camera happened to be rolling when he misspoke.
I think Mossberg's mistake was that he said what he knows out loud. Apple had a cow and pressured him to make a retraction.
Thereupon, he made the effort that professional pride would allow and publicly waffled through a friend / colleague's publication.
He's saved face and the issue is, I assume, now sufficiently obfuscated (ie "ballpark estimate") that Apple's been appeased.
Sound reasonable enough? Then let's all get back to what's important (twittering tonight's game)...
What's your take?
Exclusive offer. Limited time only.
- Logitech announces wired iPad keyboard
- Twitter launches two-factor authentication
- Otterbox acquires LifeProof
- iMap Weather Radio app sends severe weather alerts to your iPhone (Video)
- ZAGGKeys Cover and Folio keyboard cases for iPad mini
- Double Decker from Trans Intl stacks up 2 drives in Mac Pro bays
- Pebble releases new SDK for greater app functions
- iKlip 2 and iKlip Studio for mini now available
- Stitcher Radio gets simplified car mode
- Google shows off new Maps
- App store hits 50 billion downloads
- Google announces new Hangouts app, consolidates messaging
- Newer Technology GripBase Podium stand for iPad
- iMove 9.0.9 for Mac updates camera issues
- 1Password adds new in-app browser, sharing
- Bill Gates reflects of Steve Jobs on 60 Minutes
- ABC to stream network shows live to iOS devices
- Apple issues update for Thunderbolt Macs
- Pixelmator 2.2
- Using the Fitbit One Fitness Tracker (Video)
- Kenburg 5-inch short LightLinez Lightning cable
- Newer Tech reduces cost of miniStack with CD/DVD option
- Plants vs Zombies 2 slated for July
- Fitbit ships Flex wrist fitness tracker
- Gmail app updates keeps iOS users in Google's eco system
Browse and search for more articles