AlleyInsider says they just go off the iPhone with Walt "it will be 3G in 60 days" Mossberg who now says he has no idea when Apple's next-gen handset will ship.
In fact, he says he based this 'ballpark estimate' on the same information the rest of us have.
"If I knew when this date was, why would I announce it in the middle of a sentence at the Finnish embassy, rather than report it in the Wall Street Journal?"
Well gee, Walt, we give up. Why would you announce it in the middle of a sentence while the entire planet was hanging on your every word?
OK, so he's not perfect and we shouldn't get too bent out of shape simply because a camera happened to be rolling when he misspoke.
I think Mossberg's mistake was that he said what he knows out loud. Apple had a cow and pressured him to make a retraction.
Thereupon, he made the effort that professional pride would allow and publicly waffled through a friend / colleague's publication.
He's saved face and the issue is, I assume, now sufficiently obfuscated (ie "ballpark estimate") that Apple's been appeased.
Sound reasonable enough? Then let's all get back to what's important (twittering tonight's game)...
What's your take?
Exclusive offer. Limited time only.
- Report: Nike looks to get out of fitness tracker game
- 13 Steve Jobs Quotes
- Twelve South launches wooden Macbook stand in BookArc möd
- Alpine planning after market CarPlay head units
- Linking Apple TV with IFTTT for evergreen screen saver photos
- Funny Samsung sales numbers and the analysts who reported them
- Podcast: Gary Busey, iOS 8 Wishlists, thoughts on iPhone 6 (#109)
- List of sites affected by Heartbleed
- iOS, OS X not affected by Heartbleed
- A good guide for resolving iOS battery problems
- Dropbox releases Mac email and photo management apps
- Best selling Android app was a scam
- Kanex introduces Thunderbolt to eSATA/USB and Ethernet/USB adapters
- Nest halts sales, disables wave feature
- WWDC set for June 2nd
- Apple gives iWork for OS X, iOS, iCloud a big update
- Apple updates Safari for Mavericks and Mountain Lion
- OWC offers CPU upgrade solution for new Mac Pros
- LaCie expanded networked FUEL drive to 2TB
- Apple adjusting app pricing in some countries
- WD My Passport Pro RAID offers portable Thunderbolt storage w/o power
- Office comes to iPad, unlocks features for iPhone
- Twitter introduces photo tagging, multiple photo support
- Sonnet Tech introduces xMac Pro Server Thunderbolt PCI Rack
- OWC boosts Mac Pro memory to 128 GB
Browse and search for more articles