AlleyInsider says they just go off the iPhone with Walt "it will be 3G in 60 days" Mossberg who now says he has no idea when Apple's next-gen handset will ship.
In fact, he says he based this 'ballpark estimate' on the same information the rest of us have.
"If I knew when this date was, why would I announce it in the middle of a sentence at the Finnish embassy, rather than report it in the Wall Street Journal?"
Well gee, Walt, we give up. Why would you announce it in the middle of a sentence while the entire planet was hanging on your every word?
OK, so he's not perfect and we shouldn't get too bent out of shape simply because a camera happened to be rolling when he misspoke.
I think Mossberg's mistake was that he said what he knows out loud. Apple had a cow and pressured him to make a retraction.
Thereupon, he made the effort that professional pride would allow and publicly waffled through a friend / colleague's publication.
He's saved face and the issue is, I assume, now sufficiently obfuscated (ie "ballpark estimate") that Apple's been appeased.
Sound reasonable enough? Then let's all get back to what's important (twittering tonight's game)...
What's your take?
Exclusive offer. Limited time only.
- FLIR One Thermal iPhone case goes on pre-order
- New MacBook Air stickers ad
- A detailed look at Yosemite and iOS 8 Continuity features
- Maroon 5, Pharrel Williams, Beck headline iTunes Festival
- Comcast vs Ryan Block
- Apple launches Swift developer blog
- LEGO Fusion looks pretty neat
- Tim Cook’s leadership and innovation
- Detailed look at iOS 8 Privacy
- IBM's Watson in the kitchen
- Apple rolls out Back to School Promo
- Apple may be rolling out two-factor verification for iCloud
- Apple revamps iTunes U for better iPad integration
- Apple ends Aperture
- New Parenthood iPhone 5s ad features apps with kids
- Apple updates lowest end iPod touch, trims prices
- Apple’s focus on the customer
- Dropbox app looks to streamline desktop setup
- Apple TV adds on ABC News, PBS Kids, AOL On
- A look inside Dropbox's new HQ
- Apple TV and HomeKit possibilities
- T-Mobile offers unlimited iTunes Radio streaming
- Podcast: Low end iMac, Podcast App, Amazon Phone + More
- Apple introduces new lower end iMac
- Nest Protect once again on sale
Browse and search for more articles