AlleyInsider says they just go off the iPhone with Walt "it will be 3G in 60 days" Mossberg who now says he has no idea when Apple's next-gen handset will ship.
In fact, he says he based this 'ballpark estimate' on the same information the rest of us have.
"If I knew when this date was, why would I announce it in the middle of a sentence at the Finnish embassy, rather than report it in the Wall Street Journal?"
Well gee, Walt, we give up. Why would you announce it in the middle of a sentence while the entire planet was hanging on your every word?
OK, so he's not perfect and we shouldn't get too bent out of shape simply because a camera happened to be rolling when he misspoke.
I think Mossberg's mistake was that he said what he knows out loud. Apple had a cow and pressured him to make a retraction.
Thereupon, he made the effort that professional pride would allow and publicly waffled through a friend / colleague's publication.
He's saved face and the issue is, I assume, now sufficiently obfuscated (ie "ballpark estimate") that Apple's been appeased.
Sound reasonable enough? Then let's all get back to what's important (twittering tonight's game)...
What's your take?
Exclusive offer. Limited time only.
- Interesting info on how Apple Music likes work
- Trans Intl announce performance 2 TB Tiger SSD
- Ken Segall on Apple Watch's killer app
- Video: FLIR One thermal camera w/ Lightning Connector for iOS (Second Generation)
- Second gen FLIR One thermal cam with Lightning connector now available
- Report: How free apps are changing ad-supported content
- iOS 9 looks to free up space for OS upgrades
- CarPlay coming to select 2016 Buick and GMC vehicles
- Apple changes course on Radio payments during trial
- Taylor Swift sounds off on Apple Music free trial
- Apple patches some issues with XARA exploit
- On Apple's accessibility push with iOS
- Snowden on Apple privacy initiatives
- Nice overview of new OS X and iOS vulnerabilities
- OS X/iOS flaws may make passwords vunerable
- Dark Sky weather app gets major update
- Adobe announces updates to Creative Cloud
- Instacast podcast player is discontinued
- Apple Pay to deliver 71.5%+ split to music owners
- Ars Technical looks at El Capitan
- Podcast: iOS 9, El Capitan, Apple Watch + More
- Apple’s Schiller talks about 16 GB on entry level devices
- OWC USB-C Dock goes on pre-order
- Apple Watch watchOS 2 announced with native apps
- iOS 9 announced with refinements and iPad features
Browse and search for more articles