AlleyInsider says they just go off the iPhone with Walt "it will be 3G in 60 days" Mossberg who now says he has no idea when Apple's next-gen handset will ship.
In fact, he says he based this 'ballpark estimate' on the same information the rest of us have.
"If I knew when this date was, why would I announce it in the middle of a sentence at the Finnish embassy, rather than report it in the Wall Street Journal?"
Well gee, Walt, we give up. Why would you announce it in the middle of a sentence while the entire planet was hanging on your every word?
OK, so he's not perfect and we shouldn't get too bent out of shape simply because a camera happened to be rolling when he misspoke.
I think Mossberg's mistake was that he said what he knows out loud. Apple had a cow and pressured him to make a retraction.
Thereupon, he made the effort that professional pride would allow and publicly waffled through a friend / colleague's publication.
He's saved face and the issue is, I assume, now sufficiently obfuscated (ie "ballpark estimate") that Apple's been appeased.
Sound reasonable enough? Then let's all get back to what's important (twittering tonight's game)...
What's your take?
Exclusive offer. Limited time only.
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
- Podcast: Looftlighter, Sapphire Glass, Robin Williams, Google Customer Service, plus more
- Apple mission statement on its culture of diversity
- A look at Apple University
- iPhone 6 prank
- Podcast: iPhone announcement date, traffic school, Apple-Samsung lawsuit, plus more
- iPhone event reportedly set for September 9th
- Apple, Samsung work towards burying the patent hatchet
- OWC adds software RAID option for ThunderBay external storage
- The Verge: Comcast’s internal customer retention guide
- Lightning dockStubz connector helps solve problem of docking with a case
- iPassword offering extension for third party iOS 8 apps
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
- FLIR One Thermal iPhone case goes on pre-order
- New MacBook Air stickers ad
- A detailed look at Yosemite and iOS 8 Continuity features
- Maroon 5, Pharrel Williams, Beck headline iTunes Festival
- Comcast vs Ryan Block
- Apple launches Swift developer blog
- LEGO Fusion looks pretty neat
Browse and search for more articles