When IGM reported in February that iTunes had become the No 2 music retailer, it was projected that Apple's music store would overtake Wal-Mart some time this year. Incredibly, iTunes has already surpassed the big-box retailer in January.
Quoting NPD data leaked by Apple, Ars Technica reports that the iTunes Store, likely fueled by holiday gift cards, was the top retail music destination:
01 Apple, 19%
02 Wal-Mart, 15%
03 Best Buy, 13%
04 Amazon, 6%
"The news was announced in an e-mail sent this afternoon to some Apple employees ... It includes a screenshot of an Excel file showing the top ten music retailers in the US for January 2008, and Apple is at the top of the list."
Overall, paid downloads accounted for almost 30 percent of all music sold in January, according to NPD. Further, the researcher says that 48 percent of US teens didn't buy a single CD in 2007, compared to 38 percent in 2006.
Editors' note: What a satisfying news story. Wal-Mart reduced to No 2 and the music labels even more beholden to Apple!
Pity Apple only held the title for the month of January. Still it's just a matter of time until iTunes dominates retail music...
What's your take?
Exclusive offer. Limited time only.
- Memory upgrades for new 5K iMac from Other World Computing
- Dropbox adds iPhone 6/6+, Touch ID support
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
- T-Mobile CEO Legere on Bendgate
- Podcast: Verizon Plans, Windows 10, Apple QA, plus much more
- Apple Activation Lock Status website
- Vogue Profiles Ive
- Verizon promotion boosts shared data plans
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
- Podcast: Thoughts on iPhone 6/6+, Hot Thighs and Tights Pants, What's Wrong with iPhone Lines
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
- iPhone launch weekend sees 10 million sold
Browse and search for more articles