When IGM reported in February that iTunes had become the No 2 music retailer, it was projected that Apple's music store would overtake Wal-Mart some time this year. Incredibly, iTunes has already surpassed the big-box retailer in January.
Quoting NPD data leaked by Apple, Ars Technica reports that the iTunes Store, likely fueled by holiday gift cards, was the top retail music destination:
01 Apple, 19%
02 Wal-Mart, 15%
03 Best Buy, 13%
04 Amazon, 6%
"The news was announced in an e-mail sent this afternoon to some Apple employees ... It includes a screenshot of an Excel file showing the top ten music retailers in the US for January 2008, and Apple is at the top of the list."
Overall, paid downloads accounted for almost 30 percent of all music sold in January, according to NPD. Further, the researcher says that 48 percent of US teens didn't buy a single CD in 2007, compared to 38 percent in 2006.
Editors' note: What a satisfying news story. Wal-Mart reduced to No 2 and the music labels even more beholden to Apple!
Pity Apple only held the title for the month of January. Still it's just a matter of time until iTunes dominates retail music...
What's your take?
Exclusive offer. Limited time only.
- Taking stock of Apple's own OS X apps
- Continuity Activation Tool now for USB dongles
- The backstory on iOS 8's wallpaper
- Twelve South announces BookBook for iPhone 6/6+
- Apple's new touching The Song ad
- Video: Post-It Note App for iOS captures your notes
- iDevices looks to jumpstart Homekit adoption
- Initial Apple-IBM enterprise solutions announced
- OWC announces SSD upgrade for new Mac Pros
- Apple TV gets YouTube update
- iTunes features best of 2014
- Link: Gift Guide for Bourbon Drinkers
- iPad 2 ad Change
- Jimmy Iovine interview on selling Beats to Apple
- Elgato ships Thunderbolt 2 Dock
- Quora: Should Apple recall the iPhone 6 Plus?
- Link - iCloud security tips
- Other World Computing Holiday Specials
- Trans Intl Holiday Deals
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
Browse and search for more articles