When IGM reported in February that iTunes had become the No 2 music retailer, it was projected that Apple's music store would overtake Wal-Mart some time this year. Incredibly, iTunes has already surpassed the big-box retailer in January.
Quoting NPD data leaked by Apple, Ars Technica reports that the iTunes Store, likely fueled by holiday gift cards, was the top retail music destination:
01 Apple, 19%
02 Wal-Mart, 15%
03 Best Buy, 13%
04 Amazon, 6%
"The news was announced in an e-mail sent this afternoon to some Apple employees ... It includes a screenshot of an Excel file showing the top ten music retailers in the US for January 2008, and Apple is at the top of the list."
Overall, paid downloads accounted for almost 30 percent of all music sold in January, according to NPD. Further, the researcher says that 48 percent of US teens didn't buy a single CD in 2007, compared to 38 percent in 2006.
Editors' note: What a satisfying news story. Wal-Mart reduced to No 2 and the music labels even more beholden to Apple!
Pity Apple only held the title for the month of January. Still it's just a matter of time until iTunes dominates retail music...
What's your take?
Exclusive offer. Limited time only.
- Rumors of Google Now like features in iOS 9
- Same day delivery option appears on Apple Store app
- Solving Apple Pre-Order Problems
- Ive named Chief Design Officer
- Gold plate your Apple Watch at home
- OWC announces Accelsior S PCIe mount for SSD drives
- Speed tests on MacBook Pro SSD speeds
- Apple Watch OS 1.0.1 Released
- Apple TV set reported abandoned
- MacBook Pro gains Force Touch, iMac 5K gets new pricing
- Video: How to sign/encrypt email using OS X Mail and a secure certificate authority CA
- LifeProof ships water-proof battery backup case
- Apple Watch lacks anti-theft security
- iGrill thermometer comes to the Apple Watch
- Apple Pay chipping away at Walmart backed CurrentC
- Safari on the Apple Watch
- Vulnerability found with MacKeeper
- Mac App Store sales
- Reserve Strap and the secret Apple Watch plug
- Apple Watch Review Diary: UX, odds and ends
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Battery: First Full Week
- Podcast: Thoughts on the Apple Watch
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Notifications
- Apple's supply chain and the defective taptic engine part
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Fitness Features/Tracker
Browse and search for more articles