When IGM reported in February that iTunes had become the No 2 music retailer, it was projected that Apple's music store would overtake Wal-Mart some time this year. Incredibly, iTunes has already surpassed the big-box retailer in January.
Quoting NPD data leaked by Apple, Ars Technica reports that the iTunes Store, likely fueled by holiday gift cards, was the top retail music destination:
01 Apple, 19%
02 Wal-Mart, 15%
03 Best Buy, 13%
04 Amazon, 6%
"The news was announced in an e-mail sent this afternoon to some Apple employees ... It includes a screenshot of an Excel file showing the top ten music retailers in the US for January 2008, and Apple is at the top of the list."
Overall, paid downloads accounted for almost 30 percent of all music sold in January, according to NPD. Further, the researcher says that 48 percent of US teens didn't buy a single CD in 2007, compared to 38 percent in 2006.
Editors' note: What a satisfying news story. Wal-Mart reduced to No 2 and the music labels even more beholden to Apple!
Pity Apple only held the title for the month of January. Still it's just a matter of time until iTunes dominates retail music...
What's your take?
Exclusive offer. Limited time only.
- Apple Watch Review Diary - The Controls
- Apple Watch Review Diary - The Hardware
- Apple Watch Apps, shipping issues, pop culture reactions
- Some practically useful early Apple Watch apps
- Ars: Inside Apple's ResearchKit
- Apple VP Angela Ahrendts sends video message on Apple Watch to retail employees
- Keynote, PowerPoint apps add support for Apple Watch
- How Apple Watch measures your heart rate
- AnandTech review of new MacBook
- Podcast: Apple Watch try-on experience, new MacBook
- 1Password 5.4 for iOS brings Apple Watch support
- Reddit Infographic visually describe Apple Watch UI
- Andy Hertzfeld on latest Jobs biography
- OWC Envoy Pro mini brings up to 480GB on a USB 3.0 stick
- Apple sets June 8th for WWDC
- Apple releases ResearchKit medical research framework
- The Apple Watch store appointment experience
- Podcast: Picking an Apple Watch, 1Password OTP
- Apple Watch goes on pre-order Friday exclusively online
- Apple VP Ahrendts tells staff best way to buy Apple Watch
- 1Password for Mac 5.3 adds TOTP Password support
- Star Wars: The Digital Movie Collection comings to iTunes
- HBO Now launches for iOS
- Apple offering employees up to 50% discount on Apple Watch at launch
- Apple Watch Guided Tours
Browse and search for more articles