AppleInsider writes that the Mac mini is about to receive a much-needed makeover.
Because Intel's fazing out the Core 2 Duo processors found inside current minis, Apple's diminutive desktop will be moved to the same 45nm Penrym-3M processors used in the MacBook, etc.
Thereupon, the mini will get new internals, including a 2.1GHz process with a 3MB shared L2 cache sitting on a 800MHz front-side bus and, perhaps most welcome of all, Intel's GMA X3100 integrated graphics, which will greatly boost performance over the current GMA 950.
w/ 512MB, 80GB, SuperDrive for $649 with free shipping!
It's said, however, that revised Mac minis are in "the engineering build stage as of mid-month," so they're not likely to appear for at least a month.
In related news, it has been rumored that we could see revised iMacs around the beginning of April.
Editor's note: Previously, rumors circulated that Apple was working on a "Mac nano." This news would seem to preclude that...
What's your take?
+ FREE Shipping + Printer + Parallel Desktop 3.0 after Rebate(s)
- Apple opens OS X betas to everyone
- Apple patches triple handshake, other vulnerabilities
- Apple TV ad Powerful shows off iPhone 5s prowess
- 1Password gets significant updates to iOS, OS X
- Proposed Thunderbolt standard promises to support dual 4K displays
- A&E, The History Channel, and Lifetime channels now available on Apple TV
- Apple touts environmental efforts for Earth Day
- Report: Nike looks to get out of fitness tracker game
- 13 Steve Jobs Quotes
- Twelve South launches wooden Macbook stand in BookArc möd
- Alpine planning after market CarPlay head units
- Linking Apple TV with IFTTT for evergreen screen saver photos
- Funny Samsung sales numbers and the analysts who reported them
- Podcast: Gary Busey, iOS 8 Wishlists, thoughts on iPhone 6 (#109)
- List of sites affected by Heartbleed
- iOS, OS X not affected by Heartbleed
- A good guide for resolving iOS battery problems
- Dropbox releases Mac email and photo management apps
- Best selling Android app was a scam
- Kanex introduces Thunderbolt to eSATA/USB and Ethernet/USB adapters
- Nest halts sales, disables wave feature
- WWDC set for June 2nd
- Apple gives iWork for OS X, iOS, iCloud a big update
- Apple updates Safari for Mavericks and Mountain Lion
- OWC offers CPU upgrade solution for new Mac Pros
Browse and search for more articles