AppleInsider writes that the Mac mini is about to receive a much-needed makeover.
Because Intel's fazing out the Core 2 Duo processors found inside current minis, Apple's diminutive desktop will be moved to the same 45nm Penrym-3M processors used in the MacBook, etc.
Thereupon, the mini will get new internals, including a 2.1GHz process with a 3MB shared L2 cache sitting on a 800MHz front-side bus and, perhaps most welcome of all, Intel's GMA X3100 integrated graphics, which will greatly boost performance over the current GMA 950.
w/ 512MB, 80GB, SuperDrive for $649 with free shipping!
It's said, however, that revised Mac minis are in "the engineering build stage as of mid-month," so they're not likely to appear for at least a month.
In related news, it has been rumored that we could see revised iMacs around the beginning of April.
Editor's note: Previously, rumors circulated that Apple was working on a "Mac nano." This news would seem to preclude that...
What's your take?
+ FREE Shipping + Printer + Parallel Desktop 3.0 after Rebate(s)
- iTunes Radio usage passes Spotify and Google Play
- iOS 7.1 makes iPhone 4 tolerable
- Nice video overview iOS 7 UI changes
- Evernote launches Pebble app
- Wello iPhone case delivers suite of biometric readings
- Walk through video on upgrading Mac Pro CPU
- Podcast: iPhone 6 rumors, CarPlay, Titanfall (#107)
- New app aims to get you out of awkward situations
- Hackintosh: Updating to OS X 10.9.2 + Tips (#21)
- Twelve South announces SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Apple-Tesla battery connection
- Report: Mobile Internet access passes desktop
- Random Steve Jobs stories
- Apple rebrands iOS in the Car as CarPlay
- Video: Kershaw Ken Onion Chive Pocket Knife
- Podcast: Apple's security issue, XBox One grievances + dashboard update
- David Fincher may direct Jobs movie
- FCC Launches iOS broadband survey tester/tool
- OS X security update now available
- Hackintosh Series: Haswell OS X Install and Config + Tips (#20)
- Tips for securing your Mac and data from theft
- Tainted Love backed up by floppy drives
- On the delay updating OS X on gotofail
- Apple’s gotofail security gap extends to OS X
- Trailer for Mike Judge’s Silicon Valley
Browse and search for more articles