AppleInsider writes that the Mac mini is about to receive a much-needed makeover.
Because Intel's fazing out the Core 2 Duo processors found inside current minis, Apple's diminutive desktop will be moved to the same 45nm Penrym-3M processors used in the MacBook, etc.
Thereupon, the mini will get new internals, including a 2.1GHz process with a 3MB shared L2 cache sitting on a 800MHz front-side bus and, perhaps most welcome of all, Intel's GMA X3100 integrated graphics, which will greatly boost performance over the current GMA 950.
w/ 512MB, 80GB, SuperDrive for $649 with free shipping!
It's said, however, that revised Mac minis are in "the engineering build stage as of mid-month," so they're not likely to appear for at least a month.
In related news, it has been rumored that we could see revised iMacs around the beginning of April.
Editor's note: Previously, rumors circulated that Apple was working on a "Mac nano." This news would seem to preclude that...
What's your take?
+ FREE Shipping + Printer + Parallel Desktop 3.0 after Rebate(s)
- My iCloud security tips
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
- Podcast: Looftlighter, Sapphire Glass, Robin Williams, Google Customer Service, plus more
- Apple mission statement on its culture of diversity
- A look at Apple University
- iPhone 6 prank
- Podcast: iPhone announcement date, traffic school, Apple-Samsung lawsuit, plus more
- iPhone event reportedly set for September 9th
- Apple, Samsung work towards burying the patent hatchet
- OWC adds software RAID option for ThunderBay external storage
- The Verge: Comcast’s internal customer retention guide
- Lightning dockStubz connector helps solve problem of docking with a case
- iPassword offering extension for third party iOS 8 apps
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
Browse and search for more articles