AppleInsider writes that the Mac mini is about to receive a much-needed makeover.
Because Intel's fazing out the Core 2 Duo processors found inside current minis, Apple's diminutive desktop will be moved to the same 45nm Penrym-3M processors used in the MacBook, etc.
Thereupon, the mini will get new internals, including a 2.1GHz process with a 3MB shared L2 cache sitting on a 800MHz front-side bus and, perhaps most welcome of all, Intel's GMA X3100 integrated graphics, which will greatly boost performance over the current GMA 950.
w/ 512MB, 80GB, SuperDrive for $649 with free shipping!
It's said, however, that revised Mac minis are in "the engineering build stage as of mid-month," so they're not likely to appear for at least a month.
In related news, it has been rumored that we could see revised iMacs around the beginning of April.
Editor's note: Previously, rumors circulated that Apple was working on a "Mac nano." This news would seem to preclude that...
What's your take?
+ FREE Shipping + Printer + Parallel Desktop 3.0 after Rebate(s)
- Podcast - iPhone pre-orders, iOS 8, Tim Cook Interview + More
- 1Password 5 now available for iOS w/ extensions, touch ID support
- iCloud data gets 2-step verification, new app-specifc passwords
- Apple posts Android switcher guide
- Charlie Rose Tim Cook Interview
- 4 million iPhone orders in first day, up from 2 million for iPhone 5
- Podcast: iPhone 6, Watch, Apple Pay, etc, etc
- New iCloud storage plans rolling out
- Macworld Magazine ends, continues online
- Apple Watch
- The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- Apple Pay
- Podcast: iCloud security tips, TheFappening, Apple Event, plus more
- Wired on how iCloud accounts may have been hacked
- My iCloud security tips
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
Browse and search for more articles