BBC has announced that it will release a version of its iPlayer that will allow content to be downloaded for the fairer platform by the end of the year.
"I hope this good news is evidence of the hard work that the BBC is committing to supporting other platforms," said BBC director general Mark Thompson. "Were we to choose to not develop any systems or services until they could be received by every single individual licence-fee payer, our capacity for development and innovation—in the interest of serving those who fund our services—would be severely limited."
In mid-December of last year, BBC began offering a highly-limited, web-only playback version of iPlayer for Mac users.
Editor's note: Clearly, announcing iPlayer with downloading nearly a year before it is to launch is an attempt to staunch criticism. That said, I've already filed a complaint with the broadcaster.
If enough of us make a stink, perhaps they'll move with a little more alacrity...
What's your take?
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
- Podcast: Looftlighter, Sapphire Glass, Robin Williams, Google Customer Service, plus more
- Apple mission statement on its culture of diversity
- A look at Apple University
- iPhone 6 prank
- Podcast: iPhone announcement date, traffic school, Apple-Samsung lawsuit, plus more
- iPhone event reportedly set for September 9th
- Apple, Samsung work towards burying the patent hatchet
- OWC adds software RAID option for ThunderBay external storage
- The Verge: Comcast’s internal customer retention guide
- Lightning dockStubz connector helps solve problem of docking with a case
- iPassword offering extension for third party iOS 8 apps
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
- FLIR One Thermal iPhone case goes on pre-order
Browse and search for more articles