BBC has announced that it will release a version of its iPlayer that will allow content to be downloaded for the fairer platform by the end of the year.
"I hope this good news is evidence of the hard work that the BBC is committing to supporting other platforms," said BBC director general Mark Thompson. "Were we to choose to not develop any systems or services until they could be received by every single individual licence-fee payer, our capacity for development and innovation—in the interest of serving those who fund our services—would be severely limited."
In mid-December of last year, BBC began offering a highly-limited, web-only playback version of iPlayer for Mac users.
Editor's note: Clearly, announcing iPlayer with downloading nearly a year before it is to launch is an attempt to staunch criticism. That said, I've already filed a complaint with the broadcaster.
If enough of us make a stink, perhaps they'll move with a little more alacrity...
What's your take?
- Walk through video on upgrading Mac Pro CPU
- Podcast: iPhone 6 rumors, CarPlay, Titanfall (#107)
- New app aims to get you out of awkward situations
- Hackintosh: Updating to OS X 10.9.2 + Tips (#21)
- Twelve South announces SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Apple-Tesla battery connection
- Report: Mobile Internet access passes desktop
- Random Steve Jobs stories
- Apple rebrands iOS in the Car as CarPlay
- Video: Kershaw Ken Onion Chive Pocket Knife
- Podcast: Apple's security issue, XBox One grievances + dashboard update
- David Fincher may direct Jobs movie
- FCC Launches iOS broadband survey tester/tool
- OS X security update now available
- Hackintosh Series: Haswell OS X Install and Config + Tips (#20)
- Tips for securing your Mac and data from theft
- Tainted Love backed up by floppy drives
- On the delay updating OS X on gotofail
- Apple’s gotofail security gap extends to OS X
- Trailer for Mike Judge’s Silicon Valley
- Video: Hackintosh Series: BIOS Setup (#19)
- Comcast and Netflix work out a deal
- Steve Jobs to be on postage stamp
- iTunes Festival at SXSW
- Element Case adds iPad Air Soft-Tec Folio case
Browse and search for more articles