BBC has announced that it will release a version of its iPlayer that will allow content to be downloaded for the fairer platform by the end of the year.
"I hope this good news is evidence of the hard work that the BBC is committing to supporting other platforms," said BBC director general Mark Thompson. "Were we to choose to not develop any systems or services until they could be received by every single individual licence-fee payer, our capacity for development and innovation—in the interest of serving those who fund our services—would be severely limited."
In mid-December of last year, BBC began offering a highly-limited, web-only playback version of iPlayer for Mac users.
Editor's note: Clearly, announcing iPlayer with downloading nearly a year before it is to launch is an attempt to staunch criticism. That said, I've already filed a complaint with the broadcaster.
If enough of us make a stink, perhaps they'll move with a little more alacrity...
What's your take?
- Alpine planning after market CarPlay head units
- Linking Apple TV with IFTTT for evergreen screen saver photos
- Funny Samsung sales numbers and the analysts who reported them
- Podcast: Gary Busey, iOS 8 Wishlists, thoughts on iPhone 6 (#109)
- List of sites affected by Heartbleed
- iOS, OS X not affected by Heartbleed
- A good guide for resolving iOS battery problems
- Dropbox releases Mac email and photo management apps
- Best selling Android app was a scam
- Kanex introduces Thunderbolt to eSATA/USB and Ethernet/USB adapters
- Nest halts sales, disables wave feature
- WWDC set for June 2nd
- Apple gives iWork for OS X, iOS, iCloud a big update
- Apple updates Safari for Mavericks and Mountain Lion
- OWC offers CPU upgrade solution for new Mac Pros
- LaCie expanded networked FUEL drive to 2TB
- Apple adjusting app pricing in some countries
- WD My Passport Pro RAID offers portable Thunderbolt storage w/o power
- Office comes to iPad, unlocks features for iPhone
- Twitter introduces photo tagging, multiple photo support
- Sonnet Tech introduces xMac Pro Server Thunderbolt PCI Rack
- OWC boosts Mac Pro memory to 128 GB
- Macfixit is no more
- Fantastical coming to iPad
- Interview reflects on iPhone launch
Browse and search for more articles