BBC has announced that it will release a version of its iPlayer that will allow content to be downloaded for the fairer platform by the end of the year.
"I hope this good news is evidence of the hard work that the BBC is committing to supporting other platforms," said BBC director general Mark Thompson. "Were we to choose to not develop any systems or services until they could be received by every single individual licence-fee payer, our capacity for development and innovation—in the interest of serving those who fund our services—would be severely limited."
In mid-December of last year, BBC began offering a highly-limited, web-only playback version of iPlayer for Mac users.
Editor's note: Clearly, announcing iPlayer with downloading nearly a year before it is to launch is an attempt to staunch criticism. That said, I've already filed a complaint with the broadcaster.
If enough of us make a stink, perhaps they'll move with a little more alacrity...
What's your take?
- Trans Intl announce performance 2 TB Tiger SSD
- Ken Segall on Apple Watch's killer app
- Video: FLIR One thermal camera w/ Lightning Connector for iOS (Second Generation)
- Second gen FLIR One thermal cam with Lightning connector now available
- Report: How free apps are changing ad-supported content
- iOS 9 looks to free up space for OS upgrades
- CarPlay coming to select 2016 Buick and GMC vehicles
- Apple changes course on Radio payments during trial
- Taylor Swift sounds off on Apple Music free trial
- Apple patches some issues with XARA exploit
- On Apple's accessibility push with iOS
- Snowden on Apple privacy initiatives
- Nice overview of new OS X and iOS vulnerabilities
- OS X/iOS flaws may make passwords vunerable
- Dark Sky weather app gets major update
- Adobe announces updates to Creative Cloud
- Instacast podcast player is discontinued
- Apple Pay to deliver 71.5%+ split to music owners
- Ars Technical looks at El Capitan
- Podcast: iOS 9, El Capitan, Apple Watch + More
- Apple’s Schiller talks about 16 GB on entry level devices
- OWC USB-C Dock goes on pre-order
- Apple Watch watchOS 2 announced with native apps
- iOS 9 announced with refinements and iPad features
- OS X 10.11 El Capitan announced
Browse and search for more articles