Bloomberg reports that France's antitrust regulator has ruled Orange (France Telecom)'s exclusive iPhone contract is anti-competitive and must be suspended.
While exclusive contracts aren’t anticompetitive by definition, the Conseil de la Concurrence ruled this three-year contract, “due to its length and its scope, as well as the desirability of the iPhone [Ed—emphasis added], is of the type to strengthen the pre-eminent position of Orange.”
Assuming France Telecom loses a planned appeal, the ruling by the French regulator will allow other French wireless carriers to sell and support Apple's iPhone. The complaint that led to the ruling was filed by Bouygues SA, France's third-largest carrier.
Previously, France Telecom said it has sold over 600K iPhones in the device's first year in that country.
Viva la $99 iPhone!
C'est la guerre! Alas the $99 iPhone definitely dead for the time being, but internal documents by those dumpster divers at Engadget details about what is coming.
At 9am on Sunday, Dec 28, Wal-Mart will begin selling Apple's standard 3G iPhones models for $197 (8GB) and $297 (16GB). And, yes, a standard AT&T two-year iPhone contract is required.
Engadget adds that an internal pilot program kicks off today at 488 Wal-Mart stores across the nation.
Editor's note: The statement by French regulators that exclusivity is illegal in part because of the highly desirable nature of the iPhone is classic.
"Sacre bleu! What eez zees? Non, non, non! You cannot 'ave eet all too yourself—eet eez too powerful!"
That's just way too much style (and substance) for US regulators, but here's (vainly) hoping Apple gets a clue...
What's your take?
Choose from over 4.5 Million songs!
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
- Podcast: Looftlighter, Sapphire Glass, Robin Williams, Google Customer Service, plus more
- Apple mission statement on its culture of diversity
- A look at Apple University
- iPhone 6 prank
- Podcast: iPhone announcement date, traffic school, Apple-Samsung lawsuit, plus more
- iPhone event reportedly set for September 9th
- Apple, Samsung work towards burying the patent hatchet
- OWC adds software RAID option for ThunderBay external storage
- The Verge: Comcast’s internal customer retention guide
- Lightning dockStubz connector helps solve problem of docking with a case
- iPassword offering extension for third party iOS 8 apps
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
- FLIR One Thermal iPhone case goes on pre-order
- New MacBook Air stickers ad
- A detailed look at Yosemite and iOS 8 Continuity features
- Maroon 5, Pharrel Williams, Beck headline iTunes Festival
- Comcast vs Ryan Block
Browse and search for more articles