Bloomberg reports that France's antitrust regulator has ruled Orange (France Telecom)'s exclusive iPhone contract is anti-competitive and must be suspended.
While exclusive contracts aren’t anticompetitive by definition, the Conseil de la Concurrence ruled this three-year contract, “due to its length and its scope, as well as the desirability of the iPhone [Ed—emphasis added], is of the type to strengthen the pre-eminent position of Orange.”
Assuming France Telecom loses a planned appeal, the ruling by the French regulator will allow other French wireless carriers to sell and support Apple's iPhone. The complaint that led to the ruling was filed by Bouygues SA, France's third-largest carrier.
Previously, France Telecom said it has sold over 600K iPhones in the device's first year in that country.
Viva la $99 iPhone!
C'est la guerre! Alas the $99 iPhone definitely dead for the time being, but internal documents by those dumpster divers at Engadget details about what is coming.
At 9am on Sunday, Dec 28, Wal-Mart will begin selling Apple's standard 3G iPhones models for $197 (8GB) and $297 (16GB). And, yes, a standard AT&T two-year iPhone contract is required.
Engadget adds that an internal pilot program kicks off today at 488 Wal-Mart stores across the nation.
Editor's note: The statement by French regulators that exclusivity is illegal in part because of the highly desirable nature of the iPhone is classic.
"Sacre bleu! What eez zees? Non, non, non! You cannot 'ave eet all too yourself—eet eez too powerful!"
That's just way too much style (and substance) for US regulators, but here's (vainly) hoping Apple gets a clue...
What's your take?
Choose from over 4.5 Million songs!
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
- Walgreens and Apple Pay
- Fitbit bring out three new fitness wristband
- Apple Pay sparks rift between merchants and credit cards
- Podcast: End of Macworld Expo? Mac Hack, Jobs movie + more
- Tool and guides emerge to upgrade older Macs for Yosemite Continuity/Handoff
- Google Inbox
- Memory upgrades for new 5K iMac from Other World Computing
- Dropbox adds iPhone 6/6+, Touch ID support
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
- T-Mobile CEO Legere on Bendgate
- Podcast: Verizon Plans, Windows 10, Apple QA, plus much more
Browse and search for more articles