From the misleading headline department (guilty as charged) comes this Guardian write up entitled—"Acer leads netbook market while Apple loses market share." Yes, that's technically correct, but it's certainly only part of the story.
Although Apple doesn't sell a product that falls into the "netbook" product segment, they are moving millions of 3G iPhones and iPod touches, which are very capable ultra-portable computers.
Thereupon, The Guardian's write up riffs on DisplaySearch data for the third quarter of this year, a period in which Apple sold 6.8-million iPhones and an unknown number, likely millions, of iPod touches. Would Apple have lost share if these portables had been included? Hmm, there's some USDA Prime food for thought.
Further, Acer and the other netbook vendors are adding market share, but what are they getting back for their efforts and are they eating their own young? Well, we don't know their margins, but profits on netbooks are believed to be at or near zero.
"Apple [is] competing to sell portable computers that cost $1,000-$2,000, and they're not playing in the $250-$500 market, where margins are razor thin," adds the Guardian at the end of their write up. "Apple makes so much profit on a MacBook Pro, it could afford to give buyers an Asus netbook or Acer Aspire One free."
When you add it all up—rapidly rising sales of high margin products in an economic environment that forces their competitors to sell cheap with little profit—it seems rather apparent Apple's on the right track...
What's your take?
Choose from over 4.5 Million songs!
- Podcast: TV/Movie Reboots, Apple makes some money, IBM, CoD
- Microsoft rolls out new Outlook app for iOS
- Otterbox ships Resurgence battery backup case for iPhone 6
- Tim Cook: Apple Watch in April
- Apple’s Q1 Earnings
- 1Password gets update on Mac, iOS
- Cringely on IBM's massive restructuring
- Report: Apple Watch battery life may be around 19 hours
- Twitter launches recap feature
- Rogue Amoeba Audio Hijack get major overhaul
- Khan Academy brings lessons to iPad
- Evernote Scannable App
- Podcast: CES wrap-up of gadgets, ho or no adventures and more
- Looking at Flickr camera ownership for 2014
- iOS 8 beta previews Apple Watch companion app
- Lifeproof LiveActiv Battery Backup Case and Smart Mounting System - CES 2015
- USB 3.1 storage from Other World Computing - CES 2015
- ScanSnap ix100 portable/mobile scanner - CES 2015
- WEMO Zigbee products for doors, windows, smoke detectors, keychains, and more - CES 2015
- FLIR One thermal camera for iOS w/ Lightning Connector- CES 2015
- iDevices Switch offers iOS 8 HomeKit compatibility - CES 2015
- Upcoming Transwarp from OWC brings better than Fusion Drive to older Macs0 CES 2015
- Anova Bluetooth Sous Vide Cooker - CES 2015
- Mountie from Ten 1 Design mounts your tablet to your display - CES 2015
- iPin Laser pointer and iPin BTtogo presentation gadgets for iPhone - CES 2015
Browse and search for more articles