AppleInsider is repeating a one-line email from Steve Jobs to an iPhone user about a known issue with 2.x of the device's firmware.
"This is a known iPhone bug that is being fixed in the next software update in September," El Jobs is quoted as writing.
According to AppleInsider, the nut of the issue is this—iPhone 2.0 firmware won't allow user-installed apps to launch. Specifically, the bug occurs both with newly downloaded apps and updates.
To date, AppleInsider says that no combination of re-installing, restoring, etc has proven effective in eliminating this problem.
Editor's note: It's somewhat odd that Steve, knowing his missive would likely be leaked to the masses, didn't attempt to offer broader reassurance as there a number of vexing issues bedeviling users (ie 3G connectivity).
Thereupon, I wonder what percentage of Steve-fathered emails actually get passed on to the media? I wonder how many get dismissed out of hand as hoaxes?
Lastly, a number of users, including a certain Mssr Laporte, are saying that downloading and installing apps directly from the iPhone can cause problems and downloading / installing only via iTunes / sync has resolved said issues.
Your mileage may vary...
Choose from over 4-million songs!
Work on any MP3 player, including the iPod! Click Here
- Ive named Chief Design Officer
- Gold plate your Apple Watch at home
- OWC announces Accelsior S PCIe mount for SSD drives
- Speed tests on MacBook Pro SSD speeds
- Apple Watch OS 1.0.1 Released
- Apple TV set reported abandoned
- MacBook Pro gains Force Touch, iMac 5K gets new pricing
- Video: How to sign/encrypt email using OS X Mail and a secure certificate authority CA
- LifeProof ships water-proof battery backup case
- Apple Watch lacks anti-theft security
- iGrill thermometer comes to the Apple Watch
- Apple Pay chipping away at Walmart backed CurrentC
- Safari on the Apple Watch
- Vulnerability found with MacKeeper
- Mac App Store sales
- Reserve Strap and the secret Apple Watch plug
- Apple Watch Review Diary: UX, odds and ends
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Battery: First Full Week
- Podcast: Thoughts on the Apple Watch
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Notifications
- Apple's supply chain and the defective taptic engine part
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Fitness Features/Tracker
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Productivity Apps: OmniFocus, Trello, Evernote IFTTT
- Tattoos and Apple Watches may not mix
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Making/Receiving Phone Calls
Browse and search for more articles