Apple has released Security Update 2008-005, which plugs the DNS vulnerability that most other vendors patched weeks ago, including Microsoft. For its part, Macworld has called this lapse 'unforgivable.'
[u] Also, TUAW writes that this updates patches a QuickLook bug where loading a malicious Microsoft Office file could lead to "arbitrary code execution." [u]
Here're the links and a single dram o' spin that Apple uses efficiently, modifying only a couple words, for all five iterations of this patch:
• Security Update 2008-005 Server (PPC)—135MB
Security Update 2008-005 is recommended for all users and improves the security of Mac OS X.
• Security Update 2008-005 Server (Intel)—180MB
• Security Update 2008-005 (PPC)—88MB
• Security Update 2008-005 (Intel)—143MB
• Security Update 2008-005 (Leopard)—65MB
Editor's note: Security is all about perception and, although Apple's still got capital to spend, it's hard not to look bad when Microsoft beats you to the punch, which is what happened in this case...
What's your take?
- Taking stock of Apple's own OS X apps
- Continuity Activation Tool now for USB dongles
- The backstory on iOS 8's wallpaper
- Twelve South announces BookBook for iPhone 6/6+
- Apple's new touching The Song ad
- Video: Post-It Note App for iOS captures your notes
- iDevices looks to jumpstart Homekit adoption
- Initial Apple-IBM enterprise solutions announced
- OWC announces SSD upgrade for new Mac Pros
- Apple TV gets YouTube update
- iTunes features best of 2014
- Link: Gift Guide for Bourbon Drinkers
- iPad 2 ad Change
- Jimmy Iovine interview on selling Beats to Apple
- Elgato ships Thunderbolt 2 Dock
- Quora: Should Apple recall the iPhone 6 Plus?
- Link - iCloud security tips
- Other World Computing Holiday Specials
- Trans Intl Holiday Deals
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
Browse and search for more articles