Apple has released Security Update 2008-005, which plugs the DNS vulnerability that most other vendors patched weeks ago, including Microsoft. For its part, Macworld has called this lapse 'unforgivable.'
[u] Also, TUAW writes that this updates patches a QuickLook bug where loading a malicious Microsoft Office file could lead to "arbitrary code execution." [u]
Here're the links and a single dram o' spin that Apple uses efficiently, modifying only a couple words, for all five iterations of this patch:
• Security Update 2008-005 Server (PPC)—135MB
Security Update 2008-005 is recommended for all users and improves the security of Mac OS X.
• Security Update 2008-005 Server (Intel)—180MB
• Security Update 2008-005 (PPC)—88MB
• Security Update 2008-005 (Intel)—143MB
• Security Update 2008-005 (Leopard)—65MB
Editor's note: Security is all about perception and, although Apple's still got capital to spend, it's hard not to look bad when Microsoft beats you to the punch, which is what happened in this case...
What's your take?
- Apple Activation Lock Status website
- Vogue Profiles Ive
- Verizon promotion boosts shared data plans
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
- Podcast: Thoughts on iPhone 6/6+, Hot Thighs and Tights Pants, What's Wrong with iPhone Lines
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
- iPhone launch weekend sees 10 million sold
- Thoughts on iPhone sizes
- Apple TV and HomeKit
- iPhone lines and the black market
- Podcast - iPhone pre-orders, iOS 8, Tim Cook Interview + More
- 1Password 5 now available for iOS w/ extensions, touch ID support
- iCloud data gets 2-step verification, new app-specifc passwords
- Apple posts Android switcher guide
- Charlie Rose Tim Cook Interview
- 4 million iPhone orders in first day, up from 2 million for iPhone 5
- Podcast: iPhone 6, Watch, Apple Pay, etc, etc
- New iCloud storage plans rolling out
- Macworld Magazine ends, continues online
- Apple Watch
- The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- Apple Pay
- Podcast: iCloud security tips, TheFappening, Apple Event, plus more
Browse and search for more articles