Apple has released Security Update 2008-005, which plugs the DNS vulnerability that most other vendors patched weeks ago, including Microsoft. For its part, Macworld has called this lapse 'unforgivable.'
[u] Also, TUAW writes that this updates patches a QuickLook bug where loading a malicious Microsoft Office file could lead to "arbitrary code execution." [u]
Here're the links and a single dram o' spin that Apple uses efficiently, modifying only a couple words, for all five iterations of this patch:
Security Update 2008-005 Server (PPC)135MB
Security Update 2008-005 is recommended for all users and improves the security of Mac OS X.
Security Update 2008-005 Server (Intel)180MB
Security Update 2008-005 (PPC)88MB
Security Update 2008-005 (Intel)143MB
Security Update 2008-005 (Leopard)65MB
Editor's note: Security is all about perception and, although Apple's still got capital to spend, it's hard not to look bad when Microsoft beats you to the punch, which is what happened in this case...
What's your take?
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
- New Twelve South adjustable HiRise Deluxe matches your device
- Apples Eddie Cue goes shopping with Apple Pay
- OWC announces ThunderBay 4 mini portable Thunderbolt 2 RAID
- Video: Did you know your Mac is tracking all your downloads? Here's how to fix that.
- Site tracks Apple Stores replacing bent iPhones
- OWC announces 1 TB upgrades for MacBook Air
- Apple website deregisters iMessage on devices
- Trolling AirDrop
- Microsoft rolls out new iPhone Offices, updates for iPad
- Twelve South releases SurfacePad for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Mac OS X Hints site future uncertain
- Jawbone UP3 adds on more sensors
- Macworld looks at Pioneer's CarPlay upgrade
- $99 iPhone 6 expected at Sam's Club
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
- Walgreens and Apple Pay
- Fitbit bring out three new fitness wristband
- Apple Pay sparks rift between merchants and credit cards
- Podcast: End of Macworld Expo? Mac Hack, Jobs movie + more
- Tool and guides emerge to upgrade older Macs for Yosemite Continuity/Handoff
Browse and search for more articles