According to Heise Online (German, Google Translation), German newspaper publisher Axel Springer is migrating its 10,000 employees worldwide to the Mac. The company, which has for years used Macs exclusively for layout and prepress, plans to complete the move over five years and says it will involved 12,000 computers eventually.
"The Apple computers are easier to operate than all the others," CEO Mathias Döpfner, adding that procurement and maintenance costs will be lower than purchasing and supporting PCs.
However, the operating environment will continue to be heterogenous during and after the transition with users running OS X, XP and Vista, depending on need.
Axel Springer will be Apple's second-largest customer worldwide. Cupertino's No 1 computer customer is Google.
Editor's note: A game changing moment? Not really. It wouldn't surprised if a 10,000-seat enterprise wasn't even in Microsoft's Top 100 customer list.
Still, it's a nice little coup...
What's your take?
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
- New Twelve South adjustable HiRise Deluxe matches your device
- Apple’s Eddie Cue goes shopping with Apple Pay
- OWC announces ThunderBay 4 mini portable Thunderbolt 2 RAID
- Video: Did you know your Mac is tracking all your downloads? Here's how to fix that.
- Site tracks Apple Stores replacing bent iPhones
- OWC announces 1 TB upgrades for MacBook Air
- Apple website deregisters iMessage on devices
- Trolling AirDrop
- Microsoft rolls out new iPhone Offices, updates for iPad
- Twelve South releases SurfacePad for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Mac OS X Hints site future uncertain
- Jawbone UP3 adds on more sensors
- Macworld looks at Pioneer's CarPlay upgrade
- $99 iPhone 6 expected at Sam's Club
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
- Walgreens and Apple Pay
- Fitbit bring out three new fitness wristband
- Apple Pay sparks rift between merchants and credit cards
- Podcast: End of Macworld Expo? Mac Hack, Jobs movie + more
- Tool and guides emerge to upgrade older Macs for Yosemite Continuity/Handoff
Browse and search for more articles