According to Heise Online (German, Google Translation), German newspaper publisher Axel Springer is migrating its 10,000 employees worldwide to the Mac. The company, which has for years used Macs exclusively for layout and prepress, plans to complete the move over five years and says it will involved 12,000 computers eventually.
"The Apple computers are easier to operate than all the others," CEO Mathias Döpfner, adding that procurement and maintenance costs will be lower than purchasing and supporting PCs.
However, the operating environment will continue to be heterogenous during and after the transition with users running OS X, XP and Vista, depending on need.
Axel Springer will be Apple's second-largest customer worldwide. Cupertino's No 1 computer customer is Google.
Editor's note: A game changing moment? Not really. It wouldn't surprised if a 10,000-seat enterprise wasn't even in Microsoft's Top 100 customer list.
Still, it's a nice little coup...
What's your take?
- Double Decker from Trans Intl stacks up 2 drives in Mac Pro bays
- Pebble releases new SDK for greater app functions
- iKlip 2 and iKlip Studio for mini now available
- Stitcher Radio gets simplified car mode
- Google shows off new Maps
- App store hits 50 billion downloads
- Google announces new Hangouts app, consolidates messaging
- Newer Technology GripBase Podium stand for iPad
- iMove 9.0.9 for Mac updates camera issues
- 1Password adds new in-app browser, sharing
- Bill Gates reflects of Steve Jobs on 60 Minutes
- ABC to stream network shows live to iOS devices
- Apple issues update for Thunderbolt Macs
- Pixelmator 2.2
- Using the Fitbit One Fitness Tracker (Video)
- Kenburg 5-inch short LightLinez Lightning cable
- Newer Tech reduces cost of miniStack with CD/DVD option
- Plants vs Zombies 2 slated for July
- Fitbit ships Flex wrist fitness tracker
- Gmail app updates keeps iOS users in Google's eco system
- Every Day Carry Gear/Gadgets (Video)
- Denon announces new line of AVRs with AirPlay, iOS remote
- T-Mobile TV now available for iOS
- Google Glass on Weekend Update
- Podcast: Lots of iOS 7 rumors, Google Now, CoD Ghosts + More
Browse and search for more articles