BrandWeek reports that the Army plans to unveil a pilot concept recruitment center in late August that was inspired by the interactivity of Apple Stores. The center, opening in an unnamed city, will be built around virtual simulations and other experiential marketing techniques to engage
According to the write up, the success of Apple retail centers—as well as attractions like the ESPN Zone—prompted Edward Walters, CMO, US Army, to make a tactical change.
"In the past we've focused on traditional media vehicles," he said "[But] the millennial generation is used to engaging in interactive assets and we need to adapt to them."
The first new recruitment center is designed to be less intimidating and more "like walking into a NASA center," said Walters. It will consist of three large simulators with full-scale mock-ups of Army equipment and wrap-around 270-degree video screens.
"With everything going on with the war effort, you think they would be a little more buttoned up," said Richard Laermer, author of 2011: Trendspotting for the Decade. "Right now there is nothing cool about the Army."
If the test proves successful, many centers will be opened around the country.
Editor's note: Whenever I think about recruiting for the armed services, I always think of Starship Troopers (iTunes link)—"Fresh meat for the grinder, eh?"
Pre-order MobileMe at the Apple Store today.
- Real world use of iBeacon in Apple stores
- 1Password for Mac 4.1 bring a number of improvements
- WSJ blasts ant-trust judge and prosecutor
- BassJump Subwoofer gets update for Mavericks
- Video: Shinola Premium Leather iPhone 5/5s case
- Honda announces further integration with iPhones
- Apple acquires Topsy Labs
- A look at some 4K monitor options
- Rockstar bringing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas to iOS
- GLIF iPhone mount get update to be adjustable
- Honda rolling out Siri Eye Free on selection 2014 vehicles
- ScreenFlow 4.5 now available with Mavericks support
- Apple announces Black Friday sales
- iPhone 5s now available unlocked from Apple
- Apple buys 3D sensor company
- Podcast: Power outage, bad phone carriers, PS4, CoD, plus more
- Fifty Three announces Pencil Stylus
- OWC adds USB 3.0 to Mercury Elite Pro Qx2 enclosures
- MOGA Ace Power iOS game controller
- Sprint offers free 12 month smartphone service for students
- Find My Friends app get iOS 7 treatment
- PBS, Yahoo Screen comes to Apple TV
- Podcast: Episode 100, iPad mini, iPhone case is crappy or not? Everpix, plus more
- My iPhone Home Page AppsVideo:
- Video: Apple Leather iPhone 5/5S Case (Product RED)
Browse and search for more articles