BrandWeek reports that the Army plans to unveil a pilot concept recruitment center in late August that was inspired by the interactivity of Apple Stores. The center, opening in an unnamed city, will be built around virtual simulations and other experiential marketing techniques to engage
According to the write up, the success of Apple retail centers—as well as attractions like the ESPN Zone—prompted Edward Walters, CMO, US Army, to make a tactical change.
"In the past we've focused on traditional media vehicles," he said "[But] the millennial generation is used to engaging in interactive assets and we need to adapt to them."
The first new recruitment center is designed to be less intimidating and more "like walking into a NASA center," said Walters. It will consist of three large simulators with full-scale mock-ups of Army equipment and wrap-around 270-degree video screens.
"With everything going on with the war effort, you think they would be a little more buttoned up," said Richard Laermer, author of 2011: Trendspotting for the Decade. "Right now there is nothing cool about the Army."
If the test proves successful, many centers will be opened around the country.
Editor's note: Whenever I think about recruiting for the armed services, I always think of Starship Troopers (iTunes link)—"Fresh meat for the grinder, eh?"
Pre-order MobileMe at the Apple Store today.
- Taking stock of Apple's own OS X apps
- Continuity Activation Tool now for USB dongles
- The backstory on iOS 8's wallpaper
- Twelve South announces BookBook for iPhone 6/6+
- Apple's new touching The Song ad
- Video: Post-It Note App for iOS captures your notes
- iDevices looks to jumpstart Homekit adoption
- Initial Apple-IBM enterprise solutions announced
- OWC announces SSD upgrade for new Mac Pros
- Apple TV gets YouTube update
- iTunes features best of 2014
- Link: Gift Guide for Bourbon Drinkers
- iPad 2 ad Change
- Jimmy Iovine interview on selling Beats to Apple
- Elgato ships Thunderbolt 2 Dock
- Quora: Should Apple recall the iPhone 6 Plus?
- Link - iCloud security tips
- Other World Computing Holiday Specials
- Trans Intl Holiday Deals
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
Browse and search for more articles