BrandWeek reports that the Army plans to unveil a pilot concept recruitment center in late August that was inspired by the interactivity of Apple Stores. The center, opening in an unnamed city, will be built around virtual simulations and other experiential marketing techniques to engage
According to the write up, the success of Apple retail centers—as well as attractions like the ESPN Zone—prompted Edward Walters, CMO, US Army, to make a tactical change.
"In the past we've focused on traditional media vehicles," he said "[But] the millennial generation is used to engaging in interactive assets and we need to adapt to them."
The first new recruitment center is designed to be less intimidating and more "like walking into a NASA center," said Walters. It will consist of three large simulators with full-scale mock-ups of Army equipment and wrap-around 270-degree video screens.
"With everything going on with the war effort, you think they would be a little more buttoned up," said Richard Laermer, author of 2011: Trendspotting for the Decade. "Right now there is nothing cool about the Army."
If the test proves successful, many centers will be opened around the country.
Editor's note: Whenever I think about recruiting for the armed services, I always think of Starship Troopers (iTunes link)—"Fresh meat for the grinder, eh?"
Pre-order MobileMe at the Apple Store today.
- Live @ 9:30 PM ET - MacBook's USB-C Connector, Meerkat, Super Troopers, + More
- TED comes to Apple TV
- Agile Bits on passwords and security theater
- Fitbit to add multiple tracker support
- Report: Major Apple TV update, app store expected
- ABC News gets tour of Apple health and fitness lab
- Haptic touchpad on new MacBook Pro
- Tim Cook on internal collaboration and the customer experience
- Report: Apple TV subscription service expected this fall
- Want to live above an Apple Store?
- New movie: Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine
- Confusion over the MacBook's USB-C port
- Podcast: The Apple Watch
- Griffen WatchStand announced for Apple Watch
- Waterfield Designs Time Travel case for the Apple Watch
- The Apple Watch
- New MacBook comes in smaller, lighter than MacBook Air
- HBO Now official announced for Apple devices
- Reserve Strap battery backup for Apple Watch
- Podcast: Switching to iPhone 6 Plus, Apple Watch Role Playing, Over-Under + More
- New Steve Jobs book announced
- Apple promotes iPhone 6 photo gallery
- Tim Cook talks up customer privacy
- iPhone design and battery life
- Apple event scheduled for March 9th
Browse and search for more articles