BrandWeek reports that the Army plans to unveil a pilot concept recruitment center in late August that was inspired by the interactivity of Apple Stores. The center, opening in an unnamed city, will be built around virtual simulations and other experiential marketing techniques to engage
According to the write up, the success of Apple retail centers—as well as attractions like the ESPN Zone—prompted Edward Walters, CMO, US Army, to make a tactical change.
"In the past we've focused on traditional media vehicles," he said "[But] the millennial generation is used to engaging in interactive assets and we need to adapt to them."
The first new recruitment center is designed to be less intimidating and more "like walking into a NASA center," said Walters. It will consist of three large simulators with full-scale mock-ups of Army equipment and wrap-around 270-degree video screens.
"With everything going on with the war effort, you think they would be a little more buttoned up," said Richard Laermer, author of 2011: Trendspotting for the Decade. "Right now there is nothing cool about the Army."
If the test proves successful, many centers will be opened around the country.
Editor's note: Whenever I think about recruiting for the armed services, I always think of Starship Troopers (iTunes link)—"Fresh meat for the grinder, eh?"
Pre-order MobileMe at the Apple Store today.
- Evernote launches Pebble app
- Wello iPhone case delivers suite of biometric readings
- Walk through video on upgrading Mac Pro CPU
- Podcast: iPhone 6 rumors, CarPlay, Titanfall (#107)
- New app aims to get you out of awkward situations
- Hackintosh: Updating to OS X 10.9.2 + Tips (#21)
- Twelve South announces SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Apple-Tesla battery connection
- Report: Mobile Internet access passes desktop
- Random Steve Jobs stories
- Apple rebrands iOS in the Car as CarPlay
- Video: Kershaw Ken Onion Chive Pocket Knife
- Podcast: Apple's security issue, XBox One grievances + dashboard update
- David Fincher may direct Jobs movie
- FCC Launches iOS broadband survey tester/tool
- OS X security update now available
- Hackintosh Series: Haswell OS X Install and Config + Tips (#20)
- Tips for securing your Mac and data from theft
- Tainted Love backed up by floppy drives
- On the delay updating OS X on gotofail
- Apple’s gotofail security gap extends to OS X
- Trailer for Mike Judge’s Silicon Valley
- Video: Hackintosh Series: BIOS Setup (#19)
- Comcast and Netflix work out a deal
- Steve Jobs to be on postage stamp
Browse and search for more articles