Apple delivered hype and product during today's WWDC keynote address, which was much more an ensemble presentation than previous efforts.
Although I was only reading the liveblogs (Macworld, TUAW), it was evident that the first half was characterized by what Apple wasn't saying—ie Here's so-in-so and his magic, barking iPhone game / application / etc...
And, yes, Steve did say that the next version of OS X will be called Snow Leopard and that more information on that would be presented later today...
Here's a listing of Apple's releases and the money quotes from each:
• Apple Introduces the New iPhone 3G
“Just one year after launching the iPhone, we’re launching the new iPhone 3G that is twice as fast at half the price,” said Steve. “ iPhone 3G supports Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync right out of the box, runs the incredible third party apps created with the iPhone SDK, and will be available in more than 70 countries around the world this year.”
• iPhone SDK Downloads Top 250,000
Apple today also announced that its amazing new App Store [Ed—July 11] will be available in 62 countries bringing a breakthrough way for developers to wirelessly deliver their applications directly to iPhone and iPod touch users around the world. Users can download applications wirelessly and start using them immediately.
• Apple Introduces MobileMe Internet Service
“Think of MobileMe as ‘Exchange for the rest of us,’” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Now users who are not part of an enterprise that runs Exchange can get the same push email, push calendars and push contacts that the big guys get.”
Reduced pricing for the iPhone (8GB for $199, etc) will allow me to consider buying one. However, for me at least, the announcement of the day was MobileMe, which really finally gives meaning to the cloud. It's been there for awhile, but not as complete or ubiquitous as it is now with 3G, wi-fi and the Mac.
What's your take?
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
- New Twelve South adjustable HiRise Deluxe matches your device
- Apple’s Eddie Cue goes shopping with Apple Pay
- OWC announces ThunderBay 4 mini portable Thunderbolt 2 RAID
- Video: Did you know your Mac is tracking all your downloads? Here's how to fix that.
- Site tracks Apple Stores replacing bent iPhones
- OWC announces 1 TB upgrades for MacBook Air
- Apple website deregisters iMessage on devices
- Trolling AirDrop
- Microsoft rolls out new iPhone Offices, updates for iPad
- Twelve South releases SurfacePad for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Mac OS X Hints site future uncertain
- Jawbone UP3 adds on more sensors
- Macworld looks at Pioneer's CarPlay upgrade
- $99 iPhone 6 expected at Sam's Club
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
- Walgreens and Apple Pay
- Fitbit bring out three new fitness wristband
- Apple Pay sparks rift between merchants and credit cards
- Podcast: End of Macworld Expo? Mac Hack, Jobs movie + more
- Tool and guides emerge to upgrade older Macs for Yosemite Continuity/Handoff
Browse and search for more articles