Apple delivered hype and product during today's WWDC keynote address, which was much more an ensemble presentation than previous efforts.
Although I was only reading the liveblogs (Macworld, TUAW), it was evident that the first half was characterized by what Apple wasn't saying—ie Here's so-in-so and his magic, barking iPhone game / application / etc...
And, yes, Steve did say that the next version of OS X will be called Snow Leopard and that more information on that would be presented later today...
Here's a listing of Apple's releases and the money quotes from each:
• Apple Introduces the New iPhone 3G
“Just one year after launching the iPhone, we’re launching the new iPhone 3G that is twice as fast at half the price,” said Steve. “ iPhone 3G supports Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync right out of the box, runs the incredible third party apps created with the iPhone SDK, and will be available in more than 70 countries around the world this year.”
• iPhone SDK Downloads Top 250,000
Apple today also announced that its amazing new App Store [Ed—July 11] will be available in 62 countries bringing a breakthrough way for developers to wirelessly deliver their applications directly to iPhone and iPod touch users around the world. Users can download applications wirelessly and start using them immediately.
• Apple Introduces MobileMe Internet Service
“Think of MobileMe as ‘Exchange for the rest of us,’” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Now users who are not part of an enterprise that runs Exchange can get the same push email, push calendars and push contacts that the big guys get.”
Reduced pricing for the iPhone (8GB for $199, etc) will allow me to consider buying one. However, for me at least, the announcement of the day was MobileMe, which really finally gives meaning to the cloud. It's been there for awhile, but not as complete or ubiquitous as it is now with 3G, wi-fi and the Mac.
What's your take?
- Walk through video on upgrading Mac Pro CPU
- Podcast: iPhone 6 rumors, CarPlay, Titanfall (#107)
- New app aims to get you out of awkward situations
- Hackintosh: Updating to OS X 10.9.2 + Tips (#21)
- Twelve South announces SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Apple-Tesla battery connection
- Report: Mobile Internet access passes desktop
- Random Steve Jobs stories
- Apple rebrands iOS in the Car as CarPlay
- Video: Kershaw Ken Onion Chive Pocket Knife
- Podcast: Apple's security issue, XBox One grievances + dashboard update
- David Fincher may direct Jobs movie
- FCC Launches iOS broadband survey tester/tool
- OS X security update now available
- Hackintosh Series: Haswell OS X Install and Config + Tips (#20)
- Tips for securing your Mac and data from theft
- Tainted Love backed up by floppy drives
- On the delay updating OS X on gotofail
- Apple’s gotofail security gap extends to OS X
- Trailer for Mike Judge’s Silicon Valley
- Video: Hackintosh Series: BIOS Setup (#19)
- Comcast and Netflix work out a deal
- Steve Jobs to be on postage stamp
- iTunes Festival at SXSW
- Element Case adds iPad Air Soft-Tec Folio case
Browse and search for more articles