Apple delivered hype and product during today's WWDC keynote address, which was much more an ensemble presentation than previous efforts.
Although I was only reading the liveblogs (Macworld, TUAW), it was evident that the first half was characterized by what Apple wasn't saying—ie Here's so-in-so and his magic, barking iPhone game / application / etc...
And, yes, Steve did say that the next version of OS X will be called Snow Leopard and that more information on that would be presented later today...
Here's a listing of Apple's releases and the money quotes from each:
• Apple Introduces the New iPhone 3G
“Just one year after launching the iPhone, we’re launching the new iPhone 3G that is twice as fast at half the price,” said Steve. “ iPhone 3G supports Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync right out of the box, runs the incredible third party apps created with the iPhone SDK, and will be available in more than 70 countries around the world this year.”
• iPhone SDK Downloads Top 250,000
Apple today also announced that its amazing new App Store [Ed—July 11] will be available in 62 countries bringing a breakthrough way for developers to wirelessly deliver their applications directly to iPhone and iPod touch users around the world. Users can download applications wirelessly and start using them immediately.
• Apple Introduces MobileMe Internet Service
“Think of MobileMe as ‘Exchange for the rest of us,’” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Now users who are not part of an enterprise that runs Exchange can get the same push email, push calendars and push contacts that the big guys get.”
Reduced pricing for the iPhone (8GB for $199, etc) will allow me to consider buying one. However, for me at least, the announcement of the day was MobileMe, which really finally gives meaning to the cloud. It's been there for awhile, but not as complete or ubiquitous as it is now with 3G, wi-fi and the Mac.
What's your take?
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
- Podcast: Looftlighter, Sapphire Glass, Robin Williams, Google Customer Service, plus more
- Apple mission statement on its culture of diversity
- A look at Apple University
- iPhone 6 prank
- Podcast: iPhone announcement date, traffic school, Apple-Samsung lawsuit, plus more
- iPhone event reportedly set for September 9th
- Apple, Samsung work towards burying the patent hatchet
- OWC adds software RAID option for ThunderBay external storage
- The Verge: Comcast’s internal customer retention guide
- Lightning dockStubz connector helps solve problem of docking with a case
- iPassword offering extension for third party iOS 8 apps
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
- FLIR One Thermal iPhone case goes on pre-order
Browse and search for more articles