Apple delivered hype and product during today's WWDC keynote address, which was much more an ensemble presentation than previous efforts.
Although I was only reading the liveblogs (Macworld, TUAW), it was evident that the first half was characterized by what Apple wasn't saying—ie Here's so-in-so and his magic, barking iPhone game / application / etc...
And, yes, Steve did say that the next version of OS X will be called Snow Leopard and that more information on that would be presented later today...
Here's a listing of Apple's releases and the money quotes from each:
• Apple Introduces the New iPhone 3G
“Just one year after launching the iPhone, we’re launching the new iPhone 3G that is twice as fast at half the price,” said Steve. “ iPhone 3G supports Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync right out of the box, runs the incredible third party apps created with the iPhone SDK, and will be available in more than 70 countries around the world this year.”
• iPhone SDK Downloads Top 250,000
Apple today also announced that its amazing new App Store [Ed—July 11] will be available in 62 countries bringing a breakthrough way for developers to wirelessly deliver their applications directly to iPhone and iPod touch users around the world. Users can download applications wirelessly and start using them immediately.
• Apple Introduces MobileMe Internet Service
“Think of MobileMe as ‘Exchange for the rest of us,’” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Now users who are not part of an enterprise that runs Exchange can get the same push email, push calendars and push contacts that the big guys get.”
Reduced pricing for the iPhone (8GB for $199, etc) will allow me to consider buying one. However, for me at least, the announcement of the day was MobileMe, which really finally gives meaning to the cloud. It's been there for awhile, but not as complete or ubiquitous as it is now with 3G, wi-fi and the Mac.
What's your take?
- BassJump Subwoofer gets update for Mavericks
- Video: Shinola Premium Leather iPhone 5/5s case
- Honda announces further integration with iPhones
- Apple acquires Topsy Labs
- A look at some 4K monitor options
- Rockstar bringing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas to iOS
- GLIF iPhone mount get update to be adjustable
- Honda rolling out Siri Eye Free on selection 2014 vehicles
- ScreenFlow 4.5 now available with Mavericks support
- Apple announces Black Friday sales
- iPhone 5s now available unlocked from Apple
- Apple buys 3D sensor company
- Podcast: Power outage, bad phone carriers, PS4, CoD, plus more
- Fifty Three announces Pencil Stylus
- OWC adds USB 3.0 to Mercury Elite Pro Qx2 enclosures
- MOGA Ace Power iOS game controller
- Sprint offers free 12 month smartphone service for students
- Find My Friends app get iOS 7 treatment
- PBS, Yahoo Screen comes to Apple TV
- Podcast: Episode 100, iPad mini, iPhone case is crappy or not? Everpix, plus more
- My iPhone Home Page AppsVideo:
- Video: Apple Leather iPhone 5/5S Case (Product RED)
- Philips announces Hue BR30 bulbs recessed lighting
- Twelve South announces BookBook Travel Journal
- Everpix shuts down
Browse and search for more articles