Cognitive Daily has asked a poignant question, "When you have a brand-new product (cell phone, iPod, etc.), how willing are you to let others use it?" Survey takers rate their willingness by ticking one of the following boxes:
• They must not touch
• They can hold it, but not press any buttons
• They can try it out for a few minutes while I supervise
• They can try it out for up to an hour, unsupervised
• They can borrow it for a couple days
• They can have it—I didn't really want it anyway
The interesting twist to this query comes when you factor in the response to another tick box in their survey: Do you use a Mac or PC?
Source: Cognitive Daily
[T]he fact that Mac users ... are so dramatically more stingy with their new gadgets is truly a striking finding ... This is literally the opposite of what you'd expect by watching Apple's own advertising, where "Mac" is the type of guy you'd invite over for a beer and "PC" is the type of guy who'd turn down your invitation in order to organize his DVD collection.
I have to admit I'm guilty of this. Although I'm quite willing to talk at length (ok, sometimes obnoxiously) about my toys, most of which carry Apple logos, I'm not willing to share.
I think it comes down to the Apple dichotomy: 1.) Almost everyone immediately bonds to any given Apple product on a visual and physical level, and 2.) About 90% of those people just don't get the product (ie isn't it expensive, hard to use, incompatible, elitist?)
So, Would you like to touch my monkey? Don't. Even. Think about it. I don't want to have "the conservation" again (you are beginning to bore me)...
What's your take?
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
- New Twelve South adjustable HiRise Deluxe matches your device
- Apple’s Eddie Cue goes shopping with Apple Pay
- OWC announces ThunderBay 4 mini portable Thunderbolt 2 RAID
- Video: Did you know your Mac is tracking all your downloads? Here's how to fix that.
- Site tracks Apple Stores replacing bent iPhones
- OWC announces 1 TB upgrades for MacBook Air
- Apple website deregisters iMessage on devices
- Trolling AirDrop
- Microsoft rolls out new iPhone Offices, updates for iPad
- Twelve South releases SurfacePad for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Mac OS X Hints site future uncertain
- Jawbone UP3 adds on more sensors
- Macworld looks at Pioneer's CarPlay upgrade
- $99 iPhone 6 expected at Sam's Club
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
- Walgreens and Apple Pay
- Fitbit bring out three new fitness wristband
Browse and search for more articles