Cognitive Daily has asked a poignant question, "When you have a brand-new product (cell phone, iPod, etc.), how willing are you to let others use it?" Survey takers rate their willingness by ticking one of the following boxes:
• They must not touch
• They can hold it, but not press any buttons
• They can try it out for a few minutes while I supervise
• They can try it out for up to an hour, unsupervised
• They can borrow it for a couple days
• They can have it—I didn't really want it anyway
The interesting twist to this query comes when you factor in the response to another tick box in their survey: Do you use a Mac or PC?
Source: Cognitive Daily
[T]he fact that Mac users ... are so dramatically more stingy with their new gadgets is truly a striking finding ... This is literally the opposite of what you'd expect by watching Apple's own advertising, where "Mac" is the type of guy you'd invite over for a beer and "PC" is the type of guy who'd turn down your invitation in order to organize his DVD collection.
I have to admit I'm guilty of this. Although I'm quite willing to talk at length (ok, sometimes obnoxiously) about my toys, most of which carry Apple logos, I'm not willing to share.
I think it comes down to the Apple dichotomy: 1.) Almost everyone immediately bonds to any given Apple product on a visual and physical level, and 2.) About 90% of those people just don't get the product (ie isn't it expensive, hard to use, incompatible, elitist?)
So, Would you like to touch my monkey? Don't. Even. Think about it. I don't want to have "the conservation" again (you are beginning to bore me)...
What's your take?
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Making/Receiving Phone Calls
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Siri
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Maps/Navigation
- Apple Watch Review Diary - The Controls
- Apple Watch Review Diary - The Hardware
- Apple Watch Apps, shipping issues, pop culture reactions
- Some practically useful early Apple Watch apps
- Ars: Inside Apple's ResearchKit
- Apple VP Angela Ahrendts sends video message on Apple Watch to retail employees
- Keynote, PowerPoint apps add support for Apple Watch
- How Apple Watch measures your heart rate
- AnandTech review of new MacBook
- Podcast: Apple Watch try-on experience, new MacBook
- 1Password 5.4 for iOS brings Apple Watch support
- Reddit Infographic visually describe Apple Watch UI
- Andy Hertzfeld on latest Jobs biography
- OWC Envoy Pro mini brings up to 480GB on a USB 3.0 stick
- Apple sets June 8th for WWDC
- Apple releases ResearchKit medical research framework
- The Apple Watch store appointment experience
- Podcast: Picking an Apple Watch, 1Password OTP
- Apple Watch goes on pre-order Friday exclusively online
- Apple VP Ahrendts tells staff best way to buy Apple Watch
- 1Password for Mac 5.3 adds TOTP Password support
- Star Wars: The Digital Movie Collection comings to iTunes
Browse and search for more articles