It can be argued with some authority that Apple hasn't offered a truly upgradable tower since the days of the PowerMac G4. And, there's no doubt whatsoever that more than a few of us have been whining noisily ever since.
Ars Technica brings us news that PsyStar has, at least until to Apple legal can get round to issuing a cease and desist (C&D) order, filled that void with the release of OpenMac, a clone that ships with Leopard insalled for $554 ($399 sans OS) that features:
• 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
• 250 GB Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
• 2 GB DDR2 667 RAM
• Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics
• DVD+/-R Optical Drive
• 4 USB ports
They're also offering the option to add an nVidia 8600 GT for $110 and FireWire for another $50.
Of course, it's "illegal" to run Leopard or any version of the Mac OS on anything but Apple-branded hardware, so it's highly unlikely that PsyStar will actually sell let alone ship any OpenMac boxes.
Ars sums it up nicely in saying, "But try to take one penny of the dollar a year Steve Jobs makes, and you'll be thinking different without the metaphorical equivalent of the KY ... Assume the position, Pystar."
And, don't even get us started on the issue of OS updates...
What's your take?
Exclusive offer. Limited time only.
- Taking stock of Apple's own OS X apps
- Continuity Activation Tool now for USB dongles
- The backstory on iOS 8's wallpaper
- Twelve South announces BookBook for iPhone 6/6+
- Apple's new touching The Song ad
- Video: Post-It Note App for iOS captures your notes
- iDevices looks to jumpstart Homekit adoption
- Initial Apple-IBM enterprise solutions announced
- OWC announces SSD upgrade for new Mac Pros
- Apple TV gets YouTube update
- iTunes features best of 2014
- Link: Gift Guide for Bourbon Drinkers
- iPad 2 ad Change
- Jimmy Iovine interview on selling Beats to Apple
- Elgato ships Thunderbolt 2 Dock
- Quora: Should Apple recall the iPhone 6 Plus?
- Link - iCloud security tips
- Other World Computing Holiday Specials
- Trans Intl Holiday Deals
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
Browse and search for more articles