It can be argued with some authority that Apple hasn't offered a truly upgradable tower since the days of the PowerMac G4. And, there's no doubt whatsoever that more than a few of us have been whining noisily ever since.
Ars Technica brings us news that PsyStar has, at least until to Apple legal can get round to issuing a cease and desist (C&D) order, filled that void with the release of OpenMac, a clone that ships with Leopard insalled for $554 ($399 sans OS) that features:
• 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
• 250 GB Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
• 2 GB DDR2 667 RAM
• Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics
• DVD+/-R Optical Drive
• 4 USB ports
They're also offering the option to add an nVidia 8600 GT for $110 and FireWire for another $50.
Of course, it's "illegal" to run Leopard or any version of the Mac OS on anything but Apple-branded hardware, so it's highly unlikely that PsyStar will actually sell let alone ship any OpenMac boxes.
Ars sums it up nicely in saying, "But try to take one penny of the dollar a year Steve Jobs makes, and you'll be thinking different without the metaphorical equivalent of the KY ... Assume the position, Pystar."
And, don't even get us started on the issue of OS updates...
What's your take?
Exclusive offer. Limited time only.
- Speed tests on MacBook Pro SSD speeds
- Apple Watch OS 1.0.1 Released
- Apple TV set reported abandoned
- MacBook Pro gains Force Touch, iMac 5K gets new pricing
- Video: How to sign/encrypt email using OS X Mail and a secure certificate authority CA
- LifeProof ships water-proof battery backup case
- Apple Watch lacks anti-theft security
- iGrill thermometer comes to the Apple Watch
- Apple Pay chipping away at Walmart backed CurrentC
- Safari on the Apple Watch
- Vulnerability found with MacKeeper
- Mac App Store sales
- Reserve Strap and the secret Apple Watch plug
- Apple Watch Review Diary: UX, odds and ends
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Battery: First Full Week
- Podcast: Thoughts on the Apple Watch
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Notifications
- Apple's supply chain and the defective taptic engine part
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Fitness Features/Tracker
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Productivity Apps: OmniFocus, Trello, Evernote IFTTT
- Tattoos and Apple Watches may not mix
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Making/Receiving Phone Calls
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Siri
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Maps/Navigation
- Apple Watch Review Diary - The Controls
Browse and search for more articles