It can be argued with some authority that Apple hasn't offered a truly upgradable tower since the days of the PowerMac G4. And, there's no doubt whatsoever that more than a few of us have been whining noisily ever since.
Ars Technica brings us news that PsyStar has, at least until to Apple legal can get round to issuing a cease and desist (C&D) order, filled that void with the release of OpenMac, a clone that ships with Leopard insalled for $554 ($399 sans OS) that features:
• 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
• 250 GB Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
• 2 GB DDR2 667 RAM
• Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics
• DVD+/-R Optical Drive
• 4 USB ports
They're also offering the option to add an nVidia 8600 GT for $110 and FireWire for another $50.
Of course, it's "illegal" to run Leopard or any version of the Mac OS on anything but Apple-branded hardware, so it's highly unlikely that PsyStar will actually sell let alone ship any OpenMac boxes.
Ars sums it up nicely in saying, "But try to take one penny of the dollar a year Steve Jobs makes, and you'll be thinking different without the metaphorical equivalent of the KY ... Assume the position, Pystar."
And, don't even get us started on the issue of OS updates...
What's your take?
Exclusive offer. Limited time only.
- Podcast: End of Macworld Expo? Mac Hack, Jobs movie + more
- Tool and guides emerge to upgrade older Macs for Yosemite Continuity/Handoff
- Google Inbox
- Memory upgrades for new 5K iMac from Other World Computing
- Dropbox adds iPhone 6/6+, Touch ID support
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
- T-Mobile CEO Legere on Bendgate
- Podcast: Verizon Plans, Windows 10, Apple QA, plus much more
- Apple Activation Lock Status website
- Vogue Profiles Ive
- Verizon promotion boosts shared data plans
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
Browse and search for more articles