It can be argued with some authority that Apple hasn't offered a truly upgradable tower since the days of the PowerMac G4. And, there's no doubt whatsoever that more than a few of us have been whining noisily ever since.
Ars Technica brings us news that PsyStar has, at least until to Apple legal can get round to issuing a cease and desist (C&D) order, filled that void with the release of OpenMac, a clone that ships with Leopard insalled for $554 ($399 sans OS) that features:
• 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
• 250 GB Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
• 2 GB DDR2 667 RAM
• Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics
• DVD+/-R Optical Drive
• 4 USB ports
They're also offering the option to add an nVidia 8600 GT for $110 and FireWire for another $50.
Of course, it's "illegal" to run Leopard or any version of the Mac OS on anything but Apple-branded hardware, so it's highly unlikely that PsyStar will actually sell let alone ship any OpenMac boxes.
Ars sums it up nicely in saying, "But try to take one penny of the dollar a year Steve Jobs makes, and you'll be thinking different without the metaphorical equivalent of the KY ... Assume the position, Pystar."
And, don't even get us started on the issue of OS updates...
What's your take?
Exclusive offer. Limited time only.
- MacBook's USB-C Connector, Meerkat, Super Troopers, + More
- TED comes to Apple TV
- Agile Bits on passwords and security theater
- Fitbit to add multiple tracker support
- Report: Major Apple TV update, app store expected
- ABC News gets tour of Apple health and fitness lab
- Haptic touchpad on new MacBook Pro
- Tim Cook on internal collaboration and the customer experience
- Report: Apple TV subscription service expected this fall
- Want to live above an Apple Store?
- New movie: Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine
- Confusion over the MacBook's USB-C port
- Podcast: The Apple Watch
- Griffen WatchStand announced for Apple Watch
- Waterfield Designs Time Travel case for the Apple Watch
- The Apple Watch
- New MacBook comes in smaller, lighter than MacBook Air
- HBO Now official announced for Apple devices
- Reserve Strap battery backup for Apple Watch
- Podcast: Switching to iPhone 6 Plus, Apple Watch Role Playing, Over-Under + More
- New Steve Jobs book announced
- Apple promotes iPhone 6 photo gallery
- Tim Cook talks up customer privacy
- iPhone design and battery life
- Apple event scheduled for March 9th
Browse and search for more articles