It can be argued with some authority that Apple hasn't offered a truly upgradable tower since the days of the PowerMac G4. And, there's no doubt whatsoever that more than a few of us have been whining noisily ever since.
Ars Technica brings us news that PsyStar has, at least until to Apple legal can get round to issuing a cease and desist (C&D) order, filled that void with the release of OpenMac, a clone that ships with Leopard insalled for $554 ($399 sans OS) that features:
• 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
• 250 GB Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
• 2 GB DDR2 667 RAM
• Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics
• DVD+/-R Optical Drive
• 4 USB ports
They're also offering the option to add an nVidia 8600 GT for $110 and FireWire for another $50.
Of course, it's "illegal" to run Leopard or any version of the Mac OS on anything but Apple-branded hardware, so it's highly unlikely that PsyStar will actually sell let alone ship any OpenMac boxes.
Ars sums it up nicely in saying, "But try to take one penny of the dollar a year Steve Jobs makes, and you'll be thinking different without the metaphorical equivalent of the KY ... Assume the position, Pystar."
And, don't even get us started on the issue of OS updates...
What's your take?
Exclusive offer. Limited time only.
- Podcast: Gift Ideas, XBox One, Phone Subsidies, Football and more
- Walmart to launch iPhone 5s, 5c Christmas sales
- Apple TV adds additional content from ABC, others
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas launches for iOS
- Angry Birds Go launches
- Straight Talk launches iPhone 5s, 5c sans contracts
- Wired looks at Square's card reader redesign
- Twitter for iOS gets update for DM photos
- Real world use of iBeacon in Apple stores
- 1Password for Mac 4.1 bring a number of improvements
- WSJ blasts ant-trust judge and prosecutor
- BassJump Subwoofer gets update for Mavericks
- Video: Shinola Premium Leather iPhone 5/5s case
- Honda announces further integration with iPhones
- Apple acquires Topsy Labs
- A look at some 4K monitor options
- Rockstar bringing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas to iOS
- GLIF iPhone mount get update to be adjustable
- Honda rolling out Siri Eye Free on selection 2014 vehicles
- ScreenFlow 4.5 now available with Mavericks support
- Apple announces Black Friday sales
- iPhone 5s now available unlocked from Apple
- Apple buys 3D sensor company
- Podcast: Power outage, bad phone carriers, PS4, CoD, plus more
- Fifty Three announces Pencil Stylus
Browse and search for more articles