Wired reports that Wal-Mart's mp3 store is selling DRM-free music, which might be considered a good thing™ were it not for a number of egregious problems with the store itself, including its limited content.
On the latter point, Wal-Mart isn't offering music, at least temporarily, from Sony/BMG and Warner. Whereas Wired believes said content isn't available because of "licensing squabbles," I'm more inclined to believe always parsimonious Wal-Mart won't pay them off and is holding out for better terms.
And, as mentioned, issues with the store itself cancel out any good gained by the switch to DRM-free—many of the retail giant's mp3 store's features require Internet Explorer.
Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard now only $109.98! Order NOW!
Further, attempting to load Wal-Mart's mp3 store in Safari or Firefox on a Mac generates the following message:
We're sorry, your operating system is incompatible. To provide the best download experience, we can no longer support Windows 98, ME or NT. Please visit again after you upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP.
Upgrade to XP? Um, maybe not...
What's your take?
Exclusive offer. Limited time only.
- Walk through video on upgrading Mac Pro CPU
- Podcast: iPhone 6 rumors, CarPlay, Titanfall (#107)
- New app aims to get you out of awkward situations
- Hackintosh: Updating to OS X 10.9.2 + Tips (#21)
- Twelve South announces SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Apple-Tesla battery connection
- Report: Mobile Internet access passes desktop
- Random Steve Jobs stories
- Apple rebrands iOS in the Car as CarPlay
- Video: Kershaw Ken Onion Chive Pocket Knife
- Podcast: Apple's security issue, XBox One grievances + dashboard update
- David Fincher may direct Jobs movie
- FCC Launches iOS broadband survey tester/tool
- OS X security update now available
- Hackintosh Series: Haswell OS X Install and Config + Tips (#20)
- Tips for securing your Mac and data from theft
- Tainted Love backed up by floppy drives
- On the delay updating OS X on gotofail
- Apple’s gotofail security gap extends to OS X
- Trailer for Mike Judge’s Silicon Valley
- Video: Hackintosh Series: BIOS Setup (#19)
- Comcast and Netflix work out a deal
- Steve Jobs to be on postage stamp
- iTunes Festival at SXSW
- Element Case adds iPad Air Soft-Tec Folio case
Browse and search for more articles