Wired reports that Wal-Mart's mp3 store is selling DRM-free music, which might be considered a good thing™ were it not for a number of egregious problems with the store itself, including its limited content.
On the latter point, Wal-Mart isn't offering music, at least temporarily, from Sony/BMG and Warner. Whereas Wired believes said content isn't available because of "licensing squabbles," I'm more inclined to believe always parsimonious Wal-Mart won't pay them off and is holding out for better terms.
And, as mentioned, issues with the store itself cancel out any good gained by the switch to DRM-free—many of the retail giant's mp3 store's features require Internet Explorer.
Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard now only $109.98! Order NOW!
Further, attempting to load Wal-Mart's mp3 store in Safari or Firefox on a Mac generates the following message:
We're sorry, your operating system is incompatible. To provide the best download experience, we can no longer support Windows 98, ME or NT. Please visit again after you upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP.
Upgrade to XP? Um, maybe not...
What's your take?
Exclusive offer. Limited time only.
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
- New Twelve South adjustable HiRise Deluxe matches your device
- Apple’s Eddie Cue goes shopping with Apple Pay
- OWC announces ThunderBay 4 mini portable Thunderbolt 2 RAID
- Video: Did you know your Mac is tracking all your downloads? Here's how to fix that.
- Site tracks Apple Stores replacing bent iPhones
- OWC announces 1 TB upgrades for MacBook Air
- Apple website deregisters iMessage on devices
- Trolling AirDrop
- Microsoft rolls out new iPhone Offices, updates for iPad
- Twelve South releases SurfacePad for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Mac OS X Hints site future uncertain
- Jawbone UP3 adds on more sensors
- Macworld looks at Pioneer's CarPlay upgrade
- $99 iPhone 6 expected at Sam's Club
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
Browse and search for more articles