Wired reports that Wal-Mart's mp3 store is selling DRM-free music, which might be considered a good thing™ were it not for a number of egregious problems with the store itself, including its limited content.
On the latter point, Wal-Mart isn't offering music, at least temporarily, from Sony/BMG and Warner. Whereas Wired believes said content isn't available because of "licensing squabbles," I'm more inclined to believe always parsimonious Wal-Mart won't pay them off and is holding out for better terms.
And, as mentioned, issues with the store itself cancel out any good gained by the switch to DRM-free—many of the retail giant's mp3 store's features require Internet Explorer.
Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard now only $109.98! Order NOW!
Further, attempting to load Wal-Mart's mp3 store in Safari or Firefox on a Mac generates the following message:
We're sorry, your operating system is incompatible. To provide the best download experience, we can no longer support Windows 98, ME or NT. Please visit again after you upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP.
Upgrade to XP? Um, maybe not...
What's your take?
Exclusive offer. Limited time only.
- Podcast - iPhone pre-orders, iOS 8, Tim Cook Interview + More
- 1Password 5 now available for iOS w/ extensions, touch ID support
- iCloud data gets 2-step verification, new app-specifc passwords
- Apple posts Android switcher guide
- Charlie Rose Tim Cook Interview
- 4 million iPhone orders in first day, up from 2 million for iPhone 5
- Podcast: iPhone 6, Watch, Apple Pay, etc, etc
- New iCloud storage plans rolling out
- Macworld Magazine ends, continues online
- Apple Watch
- The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- Apple Pay
- Podcast: iCloud security tips, TheFappening, Apple Event, plus more
- Wired on how iCloud accounts may have been hacked
- My iCloud security tips
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
Browse and search for more articles