April 1st 2008
By Mike Flaminio
Rubicon Consulting has released a wealth of information on the iPhone in the form of a report, The Apple iPhone: Successes and Challenges for the Mobile Industry, based on survey of 460 randomly selected users.
Here are some of the key findings:
• iPhone users are very satisfied
• E-mail is the No 1 used function
• The iPhone increases mobile browsing... More than 75% of iPhone users say it has led them to do more mobile browsing
• About 40% of users say the iPhone has trouble displaying some websites
• About 50% of iPhones replaced a phone, 40% replaced smartphones, 10% replaced nothing
-- The Razr was the most often replaced phone
-- Windows Mobile, RIM Blackberry were the smartphones most often replaced
Refurbished iPod touch--8GB for $229, 16GB for $299, 32GB for $399
With FREE shipping while supplies last!
• A third of iPhone users carry a second phone
• A quarter of iPhone users say it's displacing a notebook computer
-- 28% say they often carry their iPhone instead of a laptop
• About half of iPhone users are under age 30
-- About 15% are students
• At least 75% of US iPhone users are previous Apple customers
• iPhone has increased users' average monthly bill by 24% ($228) per year
• The iPhone leads people to change carriers (nearly 50%)
• AT&T's gamble pays off with gross service revenue up by about $2 billion per year
This above is just a small sampling of what's available in Rubicon's publicly available (.pdf) report.
Editor's note: The iPhone's effect on people isn't game changing--it's a whole new game. People do more, spend more and they're almost to a fault young, meaning the changes we're seeing are absolutely long-term in nature.
Moreover, in case you missed it, they're spending more and happier, a lot happier for the expense.
And, very much like the music labels, AT&T ceded a lot to Apple and got back more than anyone anticipated.
AAPL at $200 doesn't seem all that expensive...
What's your take?
Exclusive offer. Limited time only.
Mercury Extreme SSD
Power2U AC/USB Wall Outlet
Mac RAM (Retina)
MacBook Pro Memory
2TB Tiger SSD
iSchmutz Air Filter