Rubicon Consulting has released a wealth of information on the iPhone in the form of a report, The Apple iPhone: Successes and Challenges for the Mobile Industry, based on survey of 460 randomly selected users.
Here are some of the key findings:
• iPhone users are very satisfied
• E-mail is the No 1 used function
• The iPhone increases mobile browsing… More than 75% of iPhone users say it has led them to do more mobile browsing
• About 40% of users say the iPhone has trouble displaying some websites
• About 50% of iPhones replaced a phone, 40% replaced smartphones, 10% replaced nothing
— The Razr was the most often replaced phone
— Windows Mobile, RIM Blackberry were the smartphones most often replaced
Refurbished iPod touch—8GB for $229, 16GB for $299, 32GB for $399
With FREE shipping while supplies last!
• A third of iPhone users carry a second phone
• A quarter of iPhone users say it’s displacing a notebook computer
— 28% say they often carry their iPhone instead of a laptop
• About half of iPhone users are under age 30
— About 15% are students
• At least 75% of US iPhone users are previous Apple customers
• iPhone has increased users’ average monthly bill by 24% ($228) per year
• The iPhone leads people to change carriers (nearly 50%)
• AT&T’s gamble pays off with gross service revenue up by about $2 billion per year
This above is just a small sampling of what's available in Rubicon's publicly available (.pdf) report.
Editor's note: The iPhone's effect on people isn't game changing—it's a whole new game. People do more, spend more and they're almost to a fault young, meaning the changes we're seeing are absolutely long-term in nature.
Moreover, in case you missed it, they're spending more and happier, a lot happier for the expense.
And, very much like the music labels, AT&T ceded a lot to Apple and got back more than anyone anticipated.
AAPL at $200 doesn't seem all that expensive...
What's your take?
Exclusive offer. Limited time only.
- Walk through video on upgrading Mac Pro CPU
- Podcast: iPhone 6 rumors, CarPlay, Titanfall (#107)
- New app aims to get you out of awkward situations
- Hackintosh: Updating to OS X 10.9.2 + Tips (#21)
- Twelve South announces SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Apple-Tesla battery connection
- Report: Mobile Internet access passes desktop
- Random Steve Jobs stories
- Apple rebrands iOS in the Car as CarPlay
- Video: Kershaw Ken Onion Chive Pocket Knife
- Podcast: Apple's security issue, XBox One grievances + dashboard update
- David Fincher may direct Jobs movie
- FCC Launches iOS broadband survey tester/tool
- OS X security update now available
- Hackintosh Series: Haswell OS X Install and Config + Tips (#20)
- Tips for securing your Mac and data from theft
- Tainted Love backed up by floppy drives
- On the delay updating OS X on gotofail
- Apple’s gotofail security gap extends to OS X
- Trailer for Mike Judge’s Silicon Valley
- Video: Hackintosh Series: BIOS Setup (#19)
- Comcast and Netflix work out a deal
- Steve Jobs to be on postage stamp
- iTunes Festival at SXSW
- Element Case adds iPad Air Soft-Tec Folio case
Browse and search for more articles