Rubicon Consulting has released a wealth of information on the iPhone in the form of a report, The Apple iPhone: Successes and Challenges for the Mobile Industry, based on survey of 460 randomly selected users.
Here are some of the key findings:
• iPhone users are very satisfied
• E-mail is the No 1 used function
• The iPhone increases mobile browsing… More than 75% of iPhone users say it has led them to do more mobile browsing
• About 40% of users say the iPhone has trouble displaying some websites
• About 50% of iPhones replaced a phone, 40% replaced smartphones, 10% replaced nothing
— The Razr was the most often replaced phone
— Windows Mobile, RIM Blackberry were the smartphones most often replaced
Refurbished iPod touch—8GB for $229, 16GB for $299, 32GB for $399
With FREE shipping while supplies last!
• A third of iPhone users carry a second phone
• A quarter of iPhone users say it’s displacing a notebook computer
— 28% say they often carry their iPhone instead of a laptop
• About half of iPhone users are under age 30
— About 15% are students
• At least 75% of US iPhone users are previous Apple customers
• iPhone has increased users’ average monthly bill by 24% ($228) per year
• The iPhone leads people to change carriers (nearly 50%)
• AT&T’s gamble pays off with gross service revenue up by about $2 billion per year
This above is just a small sampling of what's available in Rubicon's publicly available (.pdf) report.
Editor's note: The iPhone's effect on people isn't game changing—it's a whole new game. People do more, spend more and they're almost to a fault young, meaning the changes we're seeing are absolutely long-term in nature.
Moreover, in case you missed it, they're spending more and happier, a lot happier for the expense.
And, very much like the music labels, AT&T ceded a lot to Apple and got back more than anyone anticipated.
AAPL at $200 doesn't seem all that expensive...
What's your take?
Exclusive offer. Limited time only.
- iPhone launch weekend sees 10 million sold
- Thoughts on iPhone sizes
- Apple TV and HomeKit
- iPhone lines and the black market
- Podcast - iPhone pre-orders, iOS 8, Tim Cook Interview + More
- 1Password 5 now available for iOS w/ extensions, touch ID support
- iCloud data gets 2-step verification, new app-specifc passwords
- Apple posts Android switcher guide
- Charlie Rose Tim Cook Interview
- 4 million iPhone orders in first day, up from 2 million for iPhone 5
- Podcast: iPhone 6, Watch, Apple Pay, etc, etc
- New iCloud storage plans rolling out
- Macworld Magazine ends, continues online
- Apple Watch
- The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- Apple Pay
- Podcast: iCloud security tips, TheFappening, Apple Event, plus more
- Wired on how iCloud accounts may have been hacked
- My iCloud security tips
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
Browse and search for more articles