Fortune brings us the not unexpected news that Microsoft has a copy of the iPhone SDK and is looking into opportunities thereupon, though the company's being cagey what if anything that will mean.
“It’s really important for us to understand what we can bring to the iPhone,” said Tom Gibbons, corporate vice president, specialized devices and applications group. “To the extent that Mac Office customers have functionality that they need in that environment, we’re actually in the process of trying to understand that now."
“We do have experience with that environment, and that gives us confidence to be able to do something,” Gibbons said. “The key question is, what is the value that we need to bring? We’re still getting comfortable with the SDK, right? It’s just come out. So we had a guess as to what feasibility would be like, now we’ll really get our head wrapped around that.”
Editor's note: And, if Microsoft does find an opportunity and then releases software that fills that need on the iPhone? Well, that would be a good thing™... right?
Well, maybe. Honestly, I smell the slight spin-enhanced perfume of pre-empting (ie back off Office on the iPhone, guys, 'cause Redmond's on the case)...
What's your take?
1GB, 80GB, Combo drive with free shipping
- Memory upgrades for new 5K iMac from Other World Computing
- Dropbox adds iPhone 6/6+, Touch ID support
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
- T-Mobile CEO Legere on Bendgate
- Podcast: Verizon Plans, Windows 10, Apple QA, plus much more
- Apple Activation Lock Status website
- Vogue Profiles Ive
- Verizon promotion boosts shared data plans
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
- Podcast: Thoughts on iPhone 6/6+, Hot Thighs and Tights Pants, What's Wrong with iPhone Lines
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
- iPhone launch weekend sees 10 million sold
Browse and search for more articles