Fortune brings us the not unexpected news that Microsoft has a copy of the iPhone SDK and is looking into opportunities thereupon, though the company's being cagey what if anything that will mean.
“It’s really important for us to understand what we can bring to the iPhone,” said Tom Gibbons, corporate vice president, specialized devices and applications group. “To the extent that Mac Office customers have functionality that they need in that environment, we’re actually in the process of trying to understand that now."
“We do have experience with that environment, and that gives us confidence to be able to do something,” Gibbons said. “The key question is, what is the value that we need to bring? We’re still getting comfortable with the SDK, right? It’s just come out. So we had a guess as to what feasibility would be like, now we’ll really get our head wrapped around that.”
Editor's note: And, if Microsoft does find an opportunity and then releases software that fills that need on the iPhone? Well, that would be a good thing™... right?
Well, maybe. Honestly, I smell the slight spin-enhanced perfume of pre-empting (ie back off Office on the iPhone, guys, 'cause Redmond's on the case)...
What's your take?
1GB, 80GB, Combo drive with free shipping
- 1Password 5 now available for iOS w/ extensions, touch ID support
- iCloud data gets 2-step verification, new app-specifc passwords
- Apple posts Android switcher guide
- Charlie Rose Tim Cook Interview
- 4 million iPhone orders in first day, up from 2 million for iPhone 5
- Podcast: iPhone 6, Watch, Apple Pay, etc, etc
- New iCloud storage plans rolling out
- Macworld Magazine ends, continues online
- Apple Watch
- The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- Apple Pay
- Podcast: iCloud security tips, TheFappening, Apple Event, plus more
- Wired on how iCloud accounts may have been hacked
- My iCloud security tips
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
Browse and search for more articles