AppleInsider, quoting FBR Research chip industry data, states that Apple has again cut iPod and iPhone orders. New in this round is a reduction in MacBook orders.
"For both iPods and iPhones, we believe Apple was previously targeting a roughly 50 percent quarter-over-quarter decline for first quarter units, whereas, we now think the firm is targeting a 60 percent quarter-over-quarter unit decline for first quarter units," said Craig Berger, FBR Research.
"With Broadcom selling the touchscreen controller into the iPhones and iPod touches, and with Marvell selling WiFi chips into the iPhone, both of these chip firms should see slight negative revenue impacts in their March quarter, though we believe the magnitude of this bad news is relatively small," he continued.
The FBR analyst also said his checks indicate that Apple has cut its first quarter MacBook build forecast by about 50 percent compared to the prior quarter, down from 35 percent upon his last check.
On Feb 1, Insanely-Great reported that Apple had cut iPod production and raised Mac output.
Editor's note: So (large grain o' salt), iPod orders have been significantly cut and iPhone / touch orders simply reduced, according to Berger. Just a (large) seasonal variation plus sickening economy, or is the iPod gravy train seriously slowing down?
Also, I wonder if what we're seeing (large grain o' salt), at least in the case of the MacBook, is both a reduction related to demand and preparations to introduce new models.
Yet another case where Apple's opacity and our insatiable desire to know can't be reconciled...
What's your take?
blue, green and pink, only $99!
- Reserve Strap and the secret Apple Watch plug
- Apple Watch Review Diary: UX, odds and ends
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Battery: First Full Week
- Podcast: Thoughts on the Apple Watch
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Notifications
- Apple's supply chain and the defective taptic engine part
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Fitness Features/Tracker
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Productivity Apps: OmniFocus, Trello, Evernote IFTTT
- Tattoos and Apple Watches may not mix
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Making/Receiving Phone Calls
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Siri
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Maps/Navigation
- Apple Watch Review Diary - The Controls
- Apple Watch Review Diary - The Hardware
- Apple Watch Apps, shipping issues, pop culture reactions
- Some practically useful early Apple Watch apps
- Ars: Inside Apple's ResearchKit
- Apple VP Angela Ahrendts sends video message on Apple Watch to retail employees
- Keynote, PowerPoint apps add support for Apple Watch
- How Apple Watch measures your heart rate
- AnandTech review of new MacBook
- Podcast: Apple Watch try-on experience, new MacBook
- 1Password 5.4 for iOS brings Apple Watch support
- Reddit Infographic visually describe Apple Watch UI
- Andy Hertzfeld on latest Jobs biography
Browse and search for more articles