AppleInsider, quoting FBR Research chip industry data, states that Apple has again cut iPod and iPhone orders. New in this round is a reduction in MacBook orders.
"For both iPods and iPhones, we believe Apple was previously targeting a roughly 50 percent quarter-over-quarter decline for first quarter units, whereas, we now think the firm is targeting a 60 percent quarter-over-quarter unit decline for first quarter units," said Craig Berger, FBR Research.
"With Broadcom selling the touchscreen controller into the iPhones and iPod touches, and with Marvell selling WiFi chips into the iPhone, both of these chip firms should see slight negative revenue impacts in their March quarter, though we believe the magnitude of this bad news is relatively small," he continued.
The FBR analyst also said his checks indicate that Apple has cut its first quarter MacBook build forecast by about 50 percent compared to the prior quarter, down from 35 percent upon his last check.
On Feb 1, Insanely-Great reported that Apple had cut iPod production and raised Mac output.
Editor's note: So (large grain o' salt), iPod orders have been significantly cut and iPhone / touch orders simply reduced, according to Berger. Just a (large) seasonal variation plus sickening economy, or is the iPod gravy train seriously slowing down?
Also, I wonder if what we're seeing (large grain o' salt), at least in the case of the MacBook, is both a reduction related to demand and preparations to introduce new models.
Yet another case where Apple's opacity and our insatiable desire to know can't be reconciled...
What's your take?
blue, green and pink, only $99!
- 1Password 5 now available for iOS w/ extensions, touch ID support
- iCloud data gets 2-step verification, new app-specifc passwords
- Apple posts Android switcher guide
- Charlie Rose Tim Cook Interview
- 4 million iPhone orders in first day, up from 2 million for iPhone 5
- Podcast: iPhone 6, Watch, Apple Pay, etc, etc
- New iCloud storage plans rolling out
- Macworld Magazine ends, continues online
- Apple Watch
- The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- Apple Pay
- Podcast: iCloud security tips, TheFappening, Apple Event, plus more
- Wired on how iCloud accounts may have been hacked
- My iCloud security tips
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
Browse and search for more articles