AppleInsider, quoting FBR Research chip industry data, states that Apple has again cut iPod and iPhone orders. New in this round is a reduction in MacBook orders.
"For both iPods and iPhones, we believe Apple was previously targeting a roughly 50 percent quarter-over-quarter decline for first quarter units, whereas, we now think the firm is targeting a 60 percent quarter-over-quarter unit decline for first quarter units," said Craig Berger, FBR Research.
"With Broadcom selling the touchscreen controller into the iPhones and iPod touches, and with Marvell selling WiFi chips into the iPhone, both of these chip firms should see slight negative revenue impacts in their March quarter, though we believe the magnitude of this bad news is relatively small," he continued.
The FBR analyst also said his checks indicate that Apple has cut its first quarter MacBook build forecast by about 50 percent compared to the prior quarter, down from 35 percent upon his last check.
On Feb 1, Insanely-Great reported that Apple had cut iPod production and raised Mac output.
Editor's note: So (large grain o' salt), iPod orders have been significantly cut and iPhone / touch orders simply reduced, according to Berger. Just a (large) seasonal variation plus sickening economy, or is the iPod gravy train seriously slowing down?
Also, I wonder if what we're seeing (large grain o' salt), at least in the case of the MacBook, is both a reduction related to demand and preparations to introduce new models.
Yet another case where Apple's opacity and our insatiable desire to know can't be reconciled...
What's your take?
blue, green and pink, only $99!
- Tim Cook: Apple Watch in April
- Apple’s Q1 Earnings
- 1Password gets update on Mac, iOS
- Cringely on IBM's massive restructuring
- Report: Apple Watch battery life may be around 19 hours
- Twitter launches recap feature
- Rogue Amoeba Audio Hijack get major overhaul
- Khan Academy brings lessons to iPad
- Evernote Scannable App
- Podcast: CES wrap-up of gadgets, ho or no adventures and more
- Looking at Flickr camera ownership for 2014
- iOS 8 beta previews Apple Watch companion app
- Lifeproof LiveActiv Battery Backup Case and Smart Mounting System - CES 2015
- USB 3.1 storage from Other World Computing - CES 2015
- ScanSnap ix100 portable/mobile scanner - CES 2015
- WEMO Zigbee products for doors, windows, smoke detectors, keychains, and more - CES 2015
- FLIR One thermal camera for iOS w/ Lightning Connector- CES 2015
- iDevices Switch offers iOS 8 HomeKit compatibility - CES 2015
- Upcoming Transwarp from OWC brings better than Fusion Drive to older Macs0 CES 2015
- Anova Bluetooth Sous Vide Cooker - CES 2015
- Mountie from Ten 1 Design mounts your tablet to your display - CES 2015
- iPin Laser pointer and iPin BTtogo presentation gadgets for iPhone - CES 2015
- Griffin Reversible USB cable in iPhone colors - CES 2015
- Griffin iTrip AUX Bluetooth and iTrip AUX AutoPilot for cars - CES 2015
- NuMount VESA adapter announced for newer iMacs
Browse and search for more articles