'What should Apple do with its $15 billion in cash?' Fortune ponders. As the article points out, Apple has stockpiled more than HP, Google or IBM.
With that sort of dough, Apple could buy Netflix, TiVo out of petty cash. Quizzed on Apple's plans, CFO Peter Oppenhemer said it was a useful chunk of change for funding 'big projects' (without specifics), share buy-backs or possibly returning money to shareholders (which Apple doesn't do).
And Apple is also likely to add another $2 billion, perhaps, to that bank balance these holidays. But it also means Apple can weather a storm for a considerable period, if economic conditions require. That certainly wasn't the case a decade ago, in 1997, when Steve Jobs returned to the helm.
More interestingly, Apple could even buy Warner Music and the three other big labels, or take a controlling stake in each of them. Or how about a big slice of NBC, with which Cupertino is feuding currently?
AAPL is awaiting your suggestions.
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
- FLIR One Thermal iPhone case goes on pre-order
- New MacBook Air stickers ad
- A detailed look at Yosemite and iOS 8 Continuity features
- Maroon 5, Pharrel Williams, Beck headline iTunes Festival
- Comcast vs Ryan Block
- Apple launches Swift developer blog
- LEGO Fusion looks pretty neat
- Tim Cook’s leadership and innovation
- Detailed look at iOS 8 Privacy
- IBM's Watson in the kitchen
- Apple rolls out Back to School Promo
- Apple may be rolling out two-factor verification for iCloud
- Apple revamps iTunes U for better iPad integration
- Apple ends Aperture
- New Parenthood iPhone 5s ad features apps with kids
- Apple updates lowest end iPod touch, trims prices
- Apple’s focus on the customer
- Dropbox app looks to streamline desktop setup
- Apple TV adds on ABC News, PBS Kids, AOL On
- A look inside Dropbox's new HQ
- Apple TV and HomeKit possibilities
- T-Mobile offers unlimited iTunes Radio streaming
- Podcast: Low end iMac, Podcast App, Amazon Phone + More
Browse and search for more articles