'What should Apple do with its $15 billion in cash?' Fortune ponders. As the article points out, Apple has stockpiled more than HP, Google or IBM.
With that sort of dough, Apple could buy Netflix, TiVo out of petty cash. Quizzed on Apple's plans, CFO Peter Oppenhemer said it was a useful chunk of change for funding 'big projects' (without specifics), share buy-backs or possibly returning money to shareholders (which Apple doesn't do).
And Apple is also likely to add another $2 billion, perhaps, to that bank balance these holidays. But it also means Apple can weather a storm for a considerable period, if economic conditions require. That certainly wasn't the case a decade ago, in 1997, when Steve Jobs returned to the helm.
More interestingly, Apple could even buy Warner Music and the three other big labels, or take a controlling stake in each of them. Or how about a big slice of NBC, with which Cupertino is feuding currently?
AAPL is awaiting your suggestions.
- Report: Nike looks to get out of fitness tracker game
- 13 Steve Jobs Quotes
- Twelve South launches wooden Macbook stand in BookArc möd
- Alpine planning after market CarPlay head units
- Linking Apple TV with IFTTT for evergreen screen saver photos
- Funny Samsung sales numbers and the analysts who reported them
- Podcast: Gary Busey, iOS 8 Wishlists, thoughts on iPhone 6 (#109)
- List of sites affected by Heartbleed
- iOS, OS X not affected by Heartbleed
- A good guide for resolving iOS battery problems
- Dropbox releases Mac email and photo management apps
- Best selling Android app was a scam
- Kanex introduces Thunderbolt to eSATA/USB and Ethernet/USB adapters
- Nest halts sales, disables wave feature
- WWDC set for June 2nd
- Apple gives iWork for OS X, iOS, iCloud a big update
- Apple updates Safari for Mavericks and Mountain Lion
- OWC offers CPU upgrade solution for new Mac Pros
- LaCie expanded networked FUEL drive to 2TB
- Apple adjusting app pricing in some countries
- WD My Passport Pro RAID offers portable Thunderbolt storage w/o power
- Office comes to iPad, unlocks features for iPhone
- Twitter introduces photo tagging, multiple photo support
- Sonnet Tech introduces xMac Pro Server Thunderbolt PCI Rack
- OWC boosts Mac Pro memory to 128 GB
Browse and search for more articles