'What should Apple do with its $15 billion in cash?' Fortune ponders. As the article points out, Apple has stockpiled more than HP, Google or IBM.
With that sort of dough, Apple could buy Netflix, TiVo out of petty cash. Quizzed on Apple's plans, CFO Peter Oppenhemer said it was a useful chunk of change for funding 'big projects' (without specifics), share buy-backs or possibly returning money to shareholders (which Apple doesn't do).
And Apple is also likely to add another $2 billion, perhaps, to that bank balance these holidays. But it also means Apple can weather a storm for a considerable period, if economic conditions require. That certainly wasn't the case a decade ago, in 1997, when Steve Jobs returned to the helm.
More interestingly, Apple could even buy Warner Music and the three other big labels, or take a controlling stake in each of them. Or how about a big slice of NBC, with which Cupertino is feuding currently?
AAPL is awaiting your suggestions.
- Live @ 10 PN ET - Gift Ideas, XBox One, Phone Subsidies, Football and more
- Walmart to launch iPhone 5s, 5c Christmas sales
- Apple TV adds additional content from ABC, others
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas launches for iOS
- Angry Birds Go launches
- Straight Talk launches iPhone 5s, 5c sans contracts
- Wired looks at Square's card reader redesign
- Twitter for iOS gets update for DM photos
- Real world use of iBeacon in Apple stores
- 1Password for Mac 4.1 bring a number of improvements
- WSJ blasts ant-trust judge and prosecutor
- BassJump Subwoofer gets update for Mavericks
- Video: Shinola Premium Leather iPhone 5/5s case
- Honda announces further integration with iPhones
- Apple acquires Topsy Labs
- A look at some 4K monitor options
- Rockstar bringing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas to iOS
- GLIF iPhone mount get update to be adjustable
- Honda rolling out Siri Eye Free on selection 2014 vehicles
- ScreenFlow 4.5 now available with Mavericks support
- Apple announces Black Friday sales
- iPhone 5s now available unlocked from Apple
- Apple buys 3D sensor company
- Podcast: Power outage, bad phone carriers, PS4, CoD, plus more
- Fifty Three announces Pencil Stylus
Browse and search for more articles