'What should Apple do with its $15 billion in cash?' Fortune ponders. As the article points out, Apple has stockpiled more than HP, Google or IBM.
With that sort of dough, Apple could buy Netflix, TiVo out of petty cash. Quizzed on Apple's plans, CFO Peter Oppenhemer said it was a useful chunk of change for funding 'big projects' (without specifics), share buy-backs or possibly returning money to shareholders (which Apple doesn't do).
And Apple is also likely to add another $2 billion, perhaps, to that bank balance these holidays. But it also means Apple can weather a storm for a considerable period, if economic conditions require. That certainly wasn't the case a decade ago, in 1997, when Steve Jobs returned to the helm.
More interestingly, Apple could even buy Warner Music and the three other big labels, or take a controlling stake in each of them. Or how about a big slice of NBC, with which Cupertino is feuding currently?
AAPL is awaiting your suggestions.
- Logitech announces wired iPad keyboard
- Twitter launches two-factor authentication
- Otterbox acquires LifeProof
- iMap Weather Radio app sends severe weather alerts to your iPhone (Video)
- ZAGGKeys Cover and Folio keyboard cases for iPad mini
- Double Decker from Trans Intl stacks up 2 drives in Mac Pro bays
- Pebble releases new SDK for greater app functions
- iKlip 2 and iKlip Studio for mini now available
- Stitcher Radio gets simplified car mode
- Google shows off new Maps
- App store hits 50 billion downloads
- Google announces new Hangouts app, consolidates messaging
- Newer Technology GripBase Podium stand for iPad
- iMove 9.0.9 for Mac updates camera issues
- 1Password adds new in-app browser, sharing
- Bill Gates reflects of Steve Jobs on 60 Minutes
- ABC to stream network shows live to iOS devices
- Apple issues update for Thunderbolt Macs
- Pixelmator 2.2
- Using the Fitbit One Fitness Tracker (Video)
- Kenburg 5-inch short LightLinez Lightning cable
- Newer Tech reduces cost of miniStack with CD/DVD option
- Plants vs Zombies 2 slated for July
- Fitbit ships Flex wrist fitness tracker
- Gmail app updates keeps iOS users in Google's eco system
Browse and search for more articles