The Mac Mini's no coward - anonymous or otherwise - but it's not officially supported by Yellow Dog Linux, IBM says, as noted by OSDir.
Self-confessed Mac Mini lover Peter Seebach has written a long (but not too long), informative piece on running NetBSD and Yellow Dog Linux on the Mini.
True, not all the hardware works under these systems, but, to quote Peter, "if all you need is a stable kernel, a C compiler, and network support, the code is high-quality and the price is unbeatable."
There's some limited support for audio under NetBSD, but there's no Open Source support for Airport Extreme - yet.
But here's an interesting fact: someone got NetBSD booting on a Mac Mini - 2 days before the machine shipped. Which tells us that it's not only Apple's trade secrets that end up in someone's hands before Steve actually announces them.
Yellow Dog on the Mini might be even better. Actual support for HFS+ file systems, meaning you can use all your external disks, including your iPod, if required. Of course, you can even install Yellow Dog on your iPod and boot from that, if you want to leave OS X on your Mini's internal hard drive.
Detailed instructions from Peter abound, but here's probably the best piece of advice:
"The point is, Linux support isn't perfect yet, but it's actively being worked on. It can be fun being a part of an evolving platform; it can also get in the way of work. You will want to base your decision on whether to go with Linux now or wait for later, based on your needs."
Go to it.
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
- New Twelve South adjustable HiRise Deluxe matches your device
- Apple’s Eddie Cue goes shopping with Apple Pay
- OWC announces ThunderBay 4 mini portable Thunderbolt 2 RAID
- Video: Did you know your Mac is tracking all your downloads? Here's how to fix that.
- Site tracks Apple Stores replacing bent iPhones
- OWC announces 1 TB upgrades for MacBook Air
- Apple website deregisters iMessage on devices
- Trolling AirDrop
- Microsoft rolls out new iPhone Offices, updates for iPad
- Twelve South releases SurfacePad for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Mac OS X Hints site future uncertain
- Jawbone UP3 adds on more sensors
- Macworld looks at Pioneer's CarPlay upgrade
- $99 iPhone 6 expected at Sam's Club
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
- Walgreens and Apple Pay
- Fitbit bring out three new fitness wristband
- Apple Pay sparks rift between merchants and credit cards
- Podcast: End of Macworld Expo? Mac Hack, Jobs movie + more
- Tool and guides emerge to upgrade older Macs for Yosemite Continuity/Handoff
Browse and search for more articles