In tune with the spirit of the holidays, Apple has filed lawsuits against those it says have spilled the beans on an unannounced product and illegally distributed an upcoming version of X. Further, a number of mac-centric websites—Powerpage.org, Apple Insider and Think Secret—have been subpoenaed to turn over materials related to said leak.
Information about the product in question—a FireWire-based breakout box for connecting musical instruments and devices to a Mac—has been in circulation for about month. Various builds of Tiger, the next release of OS X, have been available for several quarters.
That feel-good spirit
Apple management have gotten their collective knickers in a twist over these issues. But, why these issues and why now?
A breakout box is, well, just so unsexy. In fact, I've got one at home that does exactly the same things and it's not even on my desk—it's underneath it. What is the BIG problem with news of it getting out a little early?
And, lord knows the Taiwanese or Chinese makers of the product can't keep secrets to save their own lives. Moreover, they've probably bragged about supplying the product to Apple in the local press.
So, what's up with this?
And, what's all this fuss about Tiger? For as long as I've been using the Internet (1993) there have been current, legacy and prerelease versions of Mac OS freely available. This is definitely nothing new.
Let's go buy!
So, there must be some blockbuster details that we're just not privy too, right? Things just too terrible for Apple to bear?
Whatever these horrible things are they must be worse than the public spectacle of a public witch hunt among its employees and customers during the holidays?
To be sure, Apple has the right and the need is all too real for those pushing this. Nevertheless, this has the same full-bodied aroma of Microsoft's "right to innovate" (ie it stinks).
What's your take?
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
- Podcast: Looftlighter, Sapphire Glass, Robin Williams, Google Customer Service, plus more
- Apple mission statement on its culture of diversity
- A look at Apple University
- iPhone 6 prank
- Podcast: iPhone announcement date, traffic school, Apple-Samsung lawsuit, plus more
- iPhone event reportedly set for September 9th
- Apple, Samsung work towards burying the patent hatchet
- OWC adds software RAID option for ThunderBay external storage
- The Verge: Comcast’s internal customer retention guide
- Lightning dockStubz connector helps solve problem of docking with a case
- iPassword offering extension for third party iOS 8 apps
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
- FLIR One Thermal iPhone case goes on pre-order
- New MacBook Air stickers ad
- A detailed look at Yosemite and iOS 8 Continuity features
- Maroon 5, Pharrel Williams, Beck headline iTunes Festival
- Comcast vs Ryan Block
Browse and search for more articles