The playfair project, which is listed as a subdomain of SourceFource, has released "playfair", a rough-hewn utility that strips music files downloaded from Apple's iTunes Music Store of the embedded FairPlay DRM (digital rights management) encoding. Although earlier utilities could strip out iTMS DRM, they did so with significant loss of audio quality. The folks behind playfair claim it does the job without any loss of fidelity.
Here's their spin:
"So what will playfair do for you? The playfair program is quite simple. It takes one of the iTMS Protected AAC Audio Files, decodes it using a key obtained from your iPod or Microsoft Windows system and then writes the new, decoded version to disk as a regular AAC Audio File. It then optionally copies the metadata tags that describe the song, including the cover art, to the new file."
This application, which is available for download, isn't for the faint of heart as it runs from the command line only. Needless to say with the basics worked out it's just a matter days before someone clever person fashions a workable GUI for "the rest of us."
Editor's note: Mouse traps improve and mice evolve. Could it be any other way?
It took nearly a year for the hackers to break FairPlay, surprised?
What's your take?
- How Apple Watch measures your heart rate
- AnandTech review of new MacBook
- Podcast: Apple Watch try-on experience, new MacBook
- 1Password 5.4 for iOS brings Apple Watch support
- Reddit Infographic visually describe Apple Watch UI
- Andy Hertzfeld on latest Jobs biography
- OWC Envoy Pro mini brings up to 480GB on a USB 3.0 stick
- Apple sets June 8th for WWDC
- Apple releases ResearchKit medical research framework
- The Apple Watch store appointment experience
- Podcast: Picking an Apple Watch, 1Password OTP
- Apple Watch goes on pre-order Friday exclusively online
- Apple VP Ahrendts tells staff best way to buy Apple Watch
- 1Password for Mac 5.3 adds TOTP Password support
- Star Wars: The Digital Movie Collection comings to iTunes
- HBO Now launches for iOS
- Apple offering employees up to 50% discount on Apple Watch at launch
- Apple Watch Guided Tours
- Podcast: Apple Watch Preview/Preorder, Steve Jobs Book + More
- Evernote makes scanning easier with auto detection
- Wired on the Apple Watch origins
- Amazon Dash Button
- Early Benchmarks at new Macbook
- Report: The how, the where, and the when for the Apple Watch ordering
- Apple retail tracking site ifoapplestore calls it quits
Browse and search for more articles