The playfair project, which is listed as a subdomain of SourceFource, has released "playfair", a rough-hewn utility that strips music files downloaded from Apple's iTunes Music Store of the embedded FairPlay DRM (digital rights management) encoding. Although earlier utilities could strip out iTMS DRM, they did so with significant loss of audio quality. The folks behind playfair claim it does the job without any loss of fidelity.
Here's their spin:
"So what will playfair do for you? The playfair program is quite simple. It takes one of the iTMS Protected AAC Audio Files, decodes it using a key obtained from your iPod or Microsoft Windows system and then writes the new, decoded version to disk as a regular AAC Audio File. It then optionally copies the metadata tags that describe the song, including the cover art, to the new file."
This application, which is available for download, isn't for the faint of heart as it runs from the command line only. Needless to say with the basics worked out it's just a matter days before someone clever person fashions a workable GUI for "the rest of us."
Editor's note: Mouse traps improve and mice evolve. Could it be any other way?
It took nearly a year for the hackers to break FairPlay, surprised?
What's your take?
- Taking stock of Apple's own OS X apps
- Continuity Activation Tool now for USB dongles
- The backstory on iOS 8's wallpaper
- Twelve South announces BookBook for iPhone 6/6+
- Apple's new touching The Song ad
- Video: Post-It Note App for iOS captures your notes
- iDevices looks to jumpstart Homekit adoption
- Initial Apple-IBM enterprise solutions announced
- OWC announces SSD upgrade for new Mac Pros
- Apple TV gets YouTube update
- iTunes features best of 2014
- Link: Gift Guide for Bourbon Drinkers
- iPad 2 ad Change
- Jimmy Iovine interview on selling Beats to Apple
- Elgato ships Thunderbolt 2 Dock
- Quora: Should Apple recall the iPhone 6 Plus?
- Link - iCloud security tips
- Other World Computing Holiday Specials
- Trans Intl Holiday Deals
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
Browse and search for more articles