Does the Panther upgrade disc demand OS X 10.2? (Jaguar). Maybe, if MacBidouille's story, based on a Japanese Panther disc, proves accurate.
A reader points out that he has verified that the Panther upgrade would not install on a disc partition unless that partition already had Jaguar installed. A clean install is apparently not possible
What does this mean? That Panther is really an upgrade for Jaguar and not from OS 9 or any older version of OS X? Is it meant merely for Macs as an 'up-to-date' fulfilment program? Do you need to buy the full retail package if you're, say, upgrading from OS X 10.1.5?
MacBidouille conjectures that there may be a workaround to fool the 10.3 installer into doing the install without Jaguar. The OS X 10.1 upgrade disc could install on OS 9 systems with the deletion of merely one file - 'check for OS X'. We suspect Apple's awake to that one now and, obviously, it would be a license violation in any case.
Have you received your upgrade disc? Does it work with pre-Jaguar systems?
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
- Walgreens and Apple Pay
- Fitbit bring out three new fitness wristband
- Apple Pay sparks rift between merchants and credit cards
- Podcast: End of Macworld Expo? Mac Hack, Jobs movie + more
- Tool and guides emerge to upgrade older Macs for Yosemite Continuity/Handoff
- Google Inbox
- Memory upgrades for new 5K iMac from Other World Computing
- Dropbox adds iPhone 6/6+, Touch ID support
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
Browse and search for more articles