Does the Panther upgrade disc demand OS X 10.2? (Jaguar). Maybe, if MacBidouille's story, based on a Japanese Panther disc, proves accurate.
A reader points out that he has verified that the Panther upgrade would not install on a disc partition unless that partition already had Jaguar installed. A clean install is apparently not possible
What does this mean? That Panther is really an upgrade for Jaguar and not from OS 9 or any older version of OS X? Is it meant merely for Macs as an 'up-to-date' fulfilment program? Do you need to buy the full retail package if you're, say, upgrading from OS X 10.1.5?
MacBidouille conjectures that there may be a workaround to fool the 10.3 installer into doing the install without Jaguar. The OS X 10.1 upgrade disc could install on OS 9 systems with the deletion of merely one file - 'check for OS X'. We suspect Apple's awake to that one now and, obviously, it would be a license violation in any case.
Have you received your upgrade disc? Does it work with pre-Jaguar systems?
- Google Inbox
- Memory upgrades for new 5K iMac from Other World Computing
- Dropbox adds iPhone 6/6+, Touch ID support
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
- T-Mobile CEO Legere on Bendgate
- Podcast: Verizon Plans, Windows 10, Apple QA, plus much more
- Apple Activation Lock Status website
- Vogue Profiles Ive
- Verizon promotion boosts shared data plans
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
- Podcast: Thoughts on iPhone 6/6+, Hot Thighs and Tights Pants, What's Wrong with iPhone Lines
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
Browse and search for more articles