Does the Panther upgrade disc demand OS X 10.2? (Jaguar). Maybe, if MacBidouille's story, based on a Japanese Panther disc, proves accurate.
A reader points out that he has verified that the Panther upgrade would not install on a disc partition unless that partition already had Jaguar installed. A clean install is apparently not possible
What does this mean? That Panther is really an upgrade for Jaguar and not from OS 9 or any older version of OS X? Is it meant merely for Macs as an 'up-to-date' fulfilment program? Do you need to buy the full retail package if you're, say, upgrading from OS X 10.1.5?
MacBidouille conjectures that there may be a workaround to fool the 10.3 installer into doing the install without Jaguar. The OS X 10.1 upgrade disc could install on OS 9 systems with the deletion of merely one file - 'check for OS X'. We suspect Apple's awake to that one now and, obviously, it would be a license violation in any case.
Have you received your upgrade disc? Does it work with pre-Jaguar systems?
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
- FLIR One Thermal iPhone case goes on pre-order
- New MacBook Air stickers ad
- A detailed look at Yosemite and iOS 8 Continuity features
- Maroon 5, Pharrel Williams, Beck headline iTunes Festival
- Comcast vs Ryan Block
- Apple launches Swift developer blog
- LEGO Fusion looks pretty neat
- Tim Cook’s leadership and innovation
- Detailed look at iOS 8 Privacy
- IBM's Watson in the kitchen
- Apple rolls out Back to School Promo
- Apple may be rolling out two-factor verification for iCloud
- Apple revamps iTunes U for better iPad integration
- Apple ends Aperture
- New Parenthood iPhone 5s ad features apps with kids
- Apple updates lowest end iPod touch, trims prices
- Apple’s focus on the customer
- Dropbox app looks to streamline desktop setup
- Apple TV adds on ABC News, PBS Kids, AOL On
- A look inside Dropbox's new HQ
- Apple TV and HomeKit possibilities
- T-Mobile offers unlimited iTunes Radio streaming
- Podcast: Low end iMac, Podcast App, Amazon Phone + More
Browse and search for more articles