Does the Panther upgrade disc demand OS X 10.2? (Jaguar). Maybe, if MacBidouille's story, based on a Japanese Panther disc, proves accurate.
A reader points out that he has verified that the Panther upgrade would not install on a disc partition unless that partition already had Jaguar installed. A clean install is apparently not possible
What does this mean? That Panther is really an upgrade for Jaguar and not from OS 9 or any older version of OS X? Is it meant merely for Macs as an 'up-to-date' fulfilment program? Do you need to buy the full retail package if you're, say, upgrading from OS X 10.1.5?
MacBidouille conjectures that there may be a workaround to fool the 10.3 installer into doing the install without Jaguar. The OS X 10.1 upgrade disc could install on OS 9 systems with the deletion of merely one file - 'check for OS X'. We suspect Apple's awake to that one now and, obviously, it would be a license violation in any case.
Have you received your upgrade disc? Does it work with pre-Jaguar systems?
- Charlie Rose Tim Cook Interview
- 4 million iPhone orders in first day, up from 2 million for iPhone 5
- Podcast: iPhone 6, Watch, Apple Pay, etc, etc
- New iCloud storage plans rolling out
- Macworld Magazine ends, continues online
- Apple Watch
- The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- Apple Pay
- Podcast: iCloud security tips, TheFappening, Apple Event, plus more
- Wired on how iCloud accounts may have been hacked
- My iCloud security tips
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
- Podcast: Looftlighter, Sapphire Glass, Robin Williams, Google Customer Service, plus more
- Apple mission statement on its culture of diversity
- A look at Apple University
Browse and search for more articles