Going back decades now, every major Apple OS update usually contains some features, let say inspired, by third party developers. A bullet on a feature list can spell doom for someone's pride and joy, but typically they live on, at least until their install base dwindles down.
The phenomenon has been dub'd Sherlocked, a reference to when Apple introduced a searching feature in OS X called Sherlock. It basically duplicated a third party utility from Karelia Software called Watson. Apple basically even copied the name.
For iOS there have been ample inspiration from the jailbreak community, which is much lower profile than OS X, but also app developers.
Macworld has a list of nine such new features out of this week's WWDC. Check it out, although it's an annoying slide show.
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Making/Receiving Phone Calls
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Siri
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Maps/Navigation
- Apple Watch Review Diary - The Controls
- Apple Watch Review Diary - The Hardware
- Apple Watch Apps, shipping issues, pop culture reactions
- Some practically useful early Apple Watch apps
- Ars: Inside Apple's ResearchKit
- Apple VP Angela Ahrendts sends video message on Apple Watch to retail employees
- Keynote, PowerPoint apps add support for Apple Watch
- How Apple Watch measures your heart rate
- AnandTech review of new MacBook
- Podcast: Apple Watch try-on experience, new MacBook
- 1Password 5.4 for iOS brings Apple Watch support
- Reddit Infographic visually describe Apple Watch UI
- Andy Hertzfeld on latest Jobs biography
- OWC Envoy Pro mini brings up to 480GB on a USB 3.0 stick
- Apple sets June 8th for WWDC
- Apple releases ResearchKit medical research framework
- The Apple Watch store appointment experience
- Podcast: Picking an Apple Watch, 1Password OTP
- Apple Watch goes on pre-order Friday exclusively online
- Apple VP Ahrendts tells staff best way to buy Apple Watch
- 1Password for Mac 5.3 adds TOTP Password support
- Star Wars: The Digital Movie Collection comings to iTunes
Browse and search for more articles