This is a smart piece from Elmer-DeWitt parsing another nice read on the topic of Steve Ballmer.
Part of this he attributes to the innovator's dilemma -- Clay Christensen's idea that a company focused on maximizing profits can't pursue a successful new product because of its impact on existing profit margins. Part of it is the kind of people who are attracted to and stay with a company like that.
Ben Thompson is cited:
In the consumer market, it's the immeasurables that matter. It's the ability to surprise and delight, and create evangelists. It's about creating something that developers demand access to, and that consumers implicitly trust. The consumer market is about everything you can't measure, everything Microsoft's legion of mini-Ballmer's can't see and will never appreciate.
Distilled down, this seem to spell out the differences between Apple and Microsoft. It's focus on consumer vs corporate customers. Microsoft has been and continues to be wildly profitable in the enterprise/business, but Apple has found a strong foothold with consumers.
The interesting trend for Apple has been the democratization of technology. As technology marched on towards easier and cheaper coupled with the innovations in the cloud space and mobile data, employees can successfully bring their device of choice to work. Once employees begin integrated their own solution into their work, rather than the spoon fed options from the IT department, the marketplace shifts from satisfying IT managers to satisfying consumers.
That concept seems to resonate with the recent history of Blackberry. RIM/Blackberry got fat and sassy from their relationships with technology integrators while workers demanded new better tools.
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
- New Twelve South adjustable HiRise Deluxe matches your device
- Apple’s Eddie Cue goes shopping with Apple Pay
- OWC announces ThunderBay 4 mini portable Thunderbolt 2 RAID
- Video: Did you know your Mac is tracking all your downloads? Here's how to fix that.
- Site tracks Apple Stores replacing bent iPhones
- OWC announces 1 TB upgrades for MacBook Air
- Apple website deregisters iMessage on devices
- Trolling AirDrop
- Microsoft rolls out new iPhone Offices, updates for iPad
- Twelve South releases SurfacePad for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Mac OS X Hints site future uncertain
- Jawbone UP3 adds on more sensors
- Macworld looks at Pioneer's CarPlay upgrade
- $99 iPhone 6 expected at Sam's Club
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
- Walgreens and Apple Pay
- Fitbit bring out three new fitness wristband
Browse and search for more articles