The new iPod touch is the first major revision in two years to the iOS media player. The 5G touch has 4-inch Retina display measuring 1136 x 640 pixels at 326 ppi. The screen measurement is approximately 16:9 aspect ratio, compared to the 4:3 in previous models.
The new touch also contains a dual-core A5 CPU, 5 MP iSight camera capable of 1080p video. The touch is also slightly thinner and a bit lighter, even though it has a larger footprint and screen size.
A new addition to the touch is an attachable wrist strap, which matches the color of the device. Surely we will be seeing many accessories taking advantage of this strap system.
New features to the touch include AirPlay Mirroring, Siri, and Apple's new Lightning dock connector. The iPhone 5 and new iPods retire the venerable 30-pin connector for a new Lightning dock. It's an all-digital link that's 80-percent smaller. It's also reversible so it can go into the phone whether upside down or not. Apple also announced a pair of adapters linking to older 30-pin devices. The 30-pin to Lightning adapter sells for $39, and the Lightning to 30-pin adapter goes for $29. Apple is also selling a USB cable to Lightning port for $19.
The iPod touch also ships with Apple's new EarPods headphones. The EarPods replace Apple's iconic and to many infamous earbuds with an updated in-ear style. The EarPods have an on-cable volume and playback controls, plus microphone.
The iPod touch 5G is available in two sizes of 32 GB for $299 and 64 GB for $399. It comes in six colors, including a (Product) RED model directly from Apple. The touch is available for pre-order on 9/14 and ships in October. Apple retains the previous generation iPod touch at lower price points. A 16 GB version runs $199 and 32 GB for $249.
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
- T-Mobile CEO Legere on Bendgate
- Podcast: Verizon Plans, Windows 10, Apple QA, plus much more
- Apple Activation Lock Status website
- Vogue Profiles Ive
- Verizon promotion boosts shared data plans
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
- Podcast: Thoughts on iPhone 6/6+, Hot Thighs and Tights Pants, What's Wrong with iPhone Lines
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
- iPhone launch weekend sees 10 million sold
- Thoughts on iPhone sizes
- Apple TV and HomeKit
Browse and search for more articles