The new iPod touch is the first major revision in two years to the iOS media player. The 5G touch has 4-inch Retina display measuring 1136 x 640 pixels at 326 ppi. The screen measurement is approximately 16:9 aspect ratio, compared to the 4:3 in previous models.
The new touch also contains a dual-core A5 CPU, 5 MP iSight camera capable of 1080p video. The touch is also slightly thinner and a bit lighter, even though it has a larger footprint and screen size.
A new addition to the touch is an attachable wrist strap, which matches the color of the device. Surely we will be seeing many accessories taking advantage of this strap system.
New features to the touch include AirPlay Mirroring, Siri, and Apple's new Lightning dock connector. The iPhone 5 and new iPods retire the venerable 30-pin connector for a new Lightning dock. It's an all-digital link that's 80-percent smaller. It's also reversible so it can go into the phone whether upside down or not. Apple also announced a pair of adapters linking to older 30-pin devices. The 30-pin to Lightning adapter sells for $39, and the Lightning to 30-pin adapter goes for $29. Apple is also selling a USB cable to Lightning port for $19.
The iPod touch also ships with Apple's new EarPods headphones. The EarPods replace Apple's iconic and to many infamous earbuds with an updated in-ear style. The EarPods have an on-cable volume and playback controls, plus microphone.
The iPod touch 5G is available in two sizes of 32 GB for $299 and 64 GB for $399. It comes in six colors, including a (Product) RED model directly from Apple. The touch is available for pre-order on 9/14 and ships in October. Apple retains the previous generation iPod touch at lower price points. A 16 GB version runs $199 and 32 GB for $249.
- Apple retail tracking site ifoapplestore calls it quits
- Session with Becoming Steve Jobs authors available on iTunes
- MacBook's USB-C Connector, Meerkat, Super Troopers, + More
- TED comes to Apple TV
- Agile Bits on passwords and security theater
- Fitbit to add multiple tracker support
- Report: Major Apple TV update, app store expected
- ABC News gets tour of Apple health and fitness lab
- Haptic touchpad on new MacBook Pro
- Tim Cook on internal collaboration and the customer experience
- Report: Apple TV subscription service expected this fall
- Want to live above an Apple Store?
- New movie: Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine
- Confusion over the MacBook's USB-C port
- Podcast: The Apple Watch
- Griffen WatchStand announced for Apple Watch
- Waterfield Designs Time Travel case for the Apple Watch
- The Apple Watch
- New MacBook comes in smaller, lighter than MacBook Air
- HBO Now official announced for Apple devices
- Reserve Strap battery backup for Apple Watch
- Podcast: Switching to iPhone 6 Plus, Apple Watch Role Playing, Over-Under + More
- New Steve Jobs book announced
- Apple promotes iPhone 6 photo gallery
- Tim Cook talks up customer privacy
Browse and search for more articles