The new iPod touch is the first major revision in two years to the iOS media player. The 5G touch has 4-inch Retina display measuring 1136 x 640 pixels at 326 ppi. The screen measurement is approximately 16:9 aspect ratio, compared to the 4:3 in previous models.
The new touch also contains a dual-core A5 CPU, 5 MP iSight camera capable of 1080p video. The touch is also slightly thinner and a bit lighter, even though it has a larger footprint and screen size.
A new addition to the touch is an attachable wrist strap, which matches the color of the device. Surely we will be seeing many accessories taking advantage of this strap system.
New features to the touch include AirPlay Mirroring, Siri, and Apple's new Lightning dock connector. The iPhone 5 and new iPods retire the venerable 30-pin connector for a new Lightning dock. It's an all-digital link that's 80-percent smaller. It's also reversible so it can go into the phone whether upside down or not. Apple also announced a pair of adapters linking to older 30-pin devices. The 30-pin to Lightning adapter sells for $39, and the Lightning to 30-pin adapter goes for $29. Apple is also selling a USB cable to Lightning port for $19.
The iPod touch also ships with Apple's new EarPods headphones. The EarPods replace Apple's iconic and to many infamous earbuds with an updated in-ear style. The EarPods have an on-cable volume and playback controls, plus microphone.
The iPod touch 5G is available in two sizes of 32 GB for $299 and 64 GB for $399. It comes in six colors, including a (Product) RED model directly from Apple. The touch is available for pre-order on 9/14 and ships in October. Apple retains the previous generation iPod touch at lower price points. A 16 GB version runs $199 and 32 GB for $249.
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
- New Twelve South adjustable HiRise Deluxe matches your device
- Apple’s Eddie Cue goes shopping with Apple Pay
- OWC announces ThunderBay 4 mini portable Thunderbolt 2 RAID
- Video: Did you know your Mac is tracking all your downloads? Here's how to fix that.
- Site tracks Apple Stores replacing bent iPhones
- OWC announces 1 TB upgrades for MacBook Air
- Apple website deregisters iMessage on devices
- Trolling AirDrop
- Microsoft rolls out new iPhone Offices, updates for iPad
- Twelve South releases SurfacePad for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Mac OS X Hints site future uncertain
- Jawbone UP3 adds on more sensors
- Macworld looks at Pioneer's CarPlay upgrade
- $99 iPhone 6 expected at Sam's Club
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
Browse and search for more articles