The new iPod touch is the first major revision in two years to the iOS media player. The 5G touch has 4-inch Retina display measuring 1136 x 640 pixels at 326 ppi. The screen measurement is approximately 16:9 aspect ratio, compared to the 4:3 in previous models.
The new touch also contains a dual-core A5 CPU, 5 MP iSight camera capable of 1080p video. The touch is also slightly thinner and a bit lighter, even though it has a larger footprint and screen size.
A new addition to the touch is an attachable wrist strap, which matches the color of the device. Surely we will be seeing many accessories taking advantage of this strap system.
New features to the touch include AirPlay Mirroring, Siri, and Apple's new Lightning dock connector. The iPhone 5 and new iPods retire the venerable 30-pin connector for a new Lightning dock. It's an all-digital link that's 80-percent smaller. It's also reversible so it can go into the phone whether upside down or not. Apple also announced a pair of adapters linking to older 30-pin devices. The 30-pin to Lightning adapter sells for $39, and the Lightning to 30-pin adapter goes for $29. Apple is also selling a USB cable to Lightning port for $19.
The iPod touch also ships with Apple's new EarPods headphones. The EarPods replace Apple's iconic and to many infamous earbuds with an updated in-ear style. The EarPods have an on-cable volume and playback controls, plus microphone.
The iPod touch 5G is available in two sizes of 32 GB for $299 and 64 GB for $399. It comes in six colors, including a (Product) RED model directly from Apple. The touch is available for pre-order on 9/14 and ships in October. Apple retains the previous generation iPod touch at lower price points. A 16 GB version runs $199 and 32 GB for $249.
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
- Podcast: Looftlighter, Sapphire Glass, Robin Williams, Google Customer Service, plus more
- Apple mission statement on its culture of diversity
- A look at Apple University
- iPhone 6 prank
- Podcast: iPhone announcement date, traffic school, Apple-Samsung lawsuit, plus more
- iPhone event reportedly set for September 9th
- Apple, Samsung work towards burying the patent hatchet
- OWC adds software RAID option for ThunderBay external storage
- The Verge: Comcast’s internal customer retention guide
- Lightning dockStubz connector helps solve problem of docking with a case
- iPassword offering extension for third party iOS 8 apps
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
- FLIR One Thermal iPhone case goes on pre-order
Browse and search for more articles