Apple has a new technical document addressing the Flashback malware. The Java exploit has been patched by Apple with a software update last week. Apple encourages users to utilize the latest Java release by updating via the Software Update tool. Apple also said it's developing a tool to remove any rogue installation.
Flashback utilized an exploit in Apple's Java implementation. The trojan horse functions as a botnet on a users computer and get infected when they're redirected to a malicious website.
While Apple is working on its own tool, users have a couple options to both check for an infection and removal. F-Secure has instructions on how to do both from the Terminal, and a new FlashbackChecker app is available that will check your system with a click of a button.
For this reason and many others, buying a copy of Little Snitch is a great idea. The software monitors and allows users to control their network activity, so if some rogue software tries to communicate with the outside, the user will be alerted.
Apple: About Flashback malware
- Podcast: TV/Movie Reboots, Apple makes some money, IBM, CoD
- Microsoft rolls out new Outlook app for iOS
- Otterbox ships Resurgence battery backup case for iPhone 6
- Tim Cook: Apple Watch in April
- Apple’s Q1 Earnings
- 1Password gets update on Mac, iOS
- Cringely on IBM's massive restructuring
- Report: Apple Watch battery life may be around 19 hours
- Twitter launches recap feature
- Rogue Amoeba Audio Hijack get major overhaul
- Khan Academy brings lessons to iPad
- Evernote Scannable App
- Podcast: CES wrap-up of gadgets, ho or no adventures and more
- Looking at Flickr camera ownership for 2014
- iOS 8 beta previews Apple Watch companion app
- Lifeproof LiveActiv Battery Backup Case and Smart Mounting System - CES 2015
- USB 3.1 storage from Other World Computing - CES 2015
- ScanSnap ix100 portable/mobile scanner - CES 2015
- WEMO Zigbee products for doors, windows, smoke detectors, keychains, and more - CES 2015
- FLIR One thermal camera for iOS w/ Lightning Connector- CES 2015
- iDevices Switch offers iOS 8 HomeKit compatibility - CES 2015
- Upcoming Transwarp from OWC brings better than Fusion Drive to older Macs0 CES 2015
- Anova Bluetooth Sous Vide Cooker - CES 2015
- Mountie from Ten 1 Design mounts your tablet to your display - CES 2015
- iPin Laser pointer and iPin BTtogo presentation gadgets for iPhone - CES 2015
Browse and search for more articles