A new Apple' branded 30-pin to micro USB adapter popped up over on the Apple UK store. The adapter fits into the iPhone's dock, and allows users to sync and charge via a micro USB connector.
The £8.00 adapter makes good on Apple's promise to conform to EU regulations to phase out the need for a variety of cables to change mobile devices. The concept is basically consumers buy multiple devices over years, and each device comes with different types of cables. As the device becomes obsolete, that cable is waste. If devices had a single standard, fewer cables are needed and perhaps devices won't need to ship with new cables.
Granted, an adapter probably isn't quite in the spirit of that, but technically Apple is in compliance without redesigning the iPhone. The 30-pin dock connector is multi-functional and proprietary, and does more than just sync and charge.
The adapter will be available starting October 14th and it's compatible with the iPhone 3G/3GS and iPhone 4/4S.
Apple Store UK
- Dropbox adds iPhone 6/6+, Touch ID support
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
- T-Mobile CEO Legere on Bendgate
- Podcast: Verizon Plans, Windows 10, Apple QA, plus much more
- Apple Activation Lock Status website
- Vogue Profiles Ive
- Verizon promotion boosts shared data plans
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
- Podcast: Thoughts on iPhone 6/6+, Hot Thighs and Tights Pants, What's Wrong with iPhone Lines
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
- iPhone launch weekend sees 10 million sold
- Thoughts on iPhone sizes
Browse and search for more articles