A new Apple' branded 30-pin to micro USB adapter popped up over on the Apple UK store. The adapter fits into the iPhone's dock, and allows users to sync and charge via a micro USB connector.
The £8.00 adapter makes good on Apple's promise to conform to EU regulations to phase out the need for a variety of cables to change mobile devices. The concept is basically consumers buy multiple devices over years, and each device comes with different types of cables. As the device becomes obsolete, that cable is waste. If devices had a single standard, fewer cables are needed and perhaps devices won't need to ship with new cables.
Granted, an adapter probably isn't quite in the spirit of that, but technically Apple is in compliance without redesigning the iPhone. The 30-pin dock connector is multi-functional and proprietary, and does more than just sync and charge.
The adapter will be available starting October 14th and it's compatible with the iPhone 3G/3GS and iPhone 4/4S.
Apple Store UK
- New Steve Jobs book announced
- Apple promotes iPhone 6 photo gallery
- Tim Cook talks up customer privacy
- iPhone design and battery life
- Apple event scheduled for March 9th
- Pebble announces follow-up Time watch
- Report: Apple retooling in-store genius bar appointments
- YouTube launches family-friendly app for kids
- Apple announces two new data centers in Europe
- New Apple ad features Martin Scorsese and iPads
- Podcast: Apple Car and iPhone 6 to 6+ upgrade?
- Office Suite for iOS adds iCloud storage
- Modern Family episode shot on iPhones, iPads, MacBook
- Dropbox adds new iOS 8 extension
- New Yorker profile highlights Ive's leadership
- Apple Car rumor hits the right checkboxes
- Two-factor verification now active on iMessage and FaceTime
- Gassée on Apple redefining what's possible
- Apple looks to power California footprint with 25-year solar deal
- Apple uses store shelves to control iPhone designs leaks
- Podcast: Super Bowl, Apple Photos, New Verizon Rates, Plane Crash App
- New Photos app available in pre-release of OS X 10.10.3
- Report: Apple pitching new plan to TV industry
- Latest Verizon promo trims pricing on some plans
- Report: Jobs bio movie expected October 9th
Browse and search for more articles