A new Apple' branded 30-pin to micro USB adapter popped up over on the Apple UK store. The adapter fits into the iPhone's dock, and allows users to sync and charge via a micro USB connector.
The £8.00 adapter makes good on Apple's promise to conform to EU regulations to phase out the need for a variety of cables to change mobile devices. The concept is basically consumers buy multiple devices over years, and each device comes with different types of cables. As the device becomes obsolete, that cable is waste. If devices had a single standard, fewer cables are needed and perhaps devices won't need to ship with new cables.
Granted, an adapter probably isn't quite in the spirit of that, but technically Apple is in compliance without redesigning the iPhone. The 30-pin dock connector is multi-functional and proprietary, and does more than just sync and charge.
The adapter will be available starting October 14th and it's compatible with the iPhone 3G/3GS and iPhone 4/4S.
Apple Store UK
- Trans Intl announce performance 2 TB Tiger SSD
- Ken Segall on Apple Watch's killer app
- Video: FLIR One thermal camera w/ Lightning Connector for iOS (Second Generation)
- Second gen FLIR One thermal cam with Lightning connector now available
- Report: How free apps are changing ad-supported content
- iOS 9 looks to free up space for OS upgrades
- CarPlay coming to select 2016 Buick and GMC vehicles
- Apple changes course on Radio payments during trial
- Taylor Swift sounds off on Apple Music free trial
- Apple patches some issues with XARA exploit
- On Apple's accessibility push with iOS
- Snowden on Apple privacy initiatives
- Nice overview of new OS X and iOS vulnerabilities
- OS X/iOS flaws may make passwords vunerable
- Dark Sky weather app gets major update
- Adobe announces updates to Creative Cloud
- Instacast podcast player is discontinued
- Apple Pay to deliver 71.5%+ split to music owners
- Ars Technical looks at El Capitan
- Podcast: iOS 9, El Capitan, Apple Watch + More
- Apple’s Schiller talks about 16 GB on entry level devices
- OWC USB-C Dock goes on pre-order
- Apple Watch watchOS 2 announced with native apps
- iOS 9 announced with refinements and iPad features
- OS X 10.11 El Capitan announced
Browse and search for more articles