A new Apple' branded 30-pin to micro USB adapter popped up over on the Apple UK store. The adapter fits into the iPhone's dock, and allows users to sync and charge via a micro USB connector.
The £8.00 adapter makes good on Apple's promise to conform to EU regulations to phase out the need for a variety of cables to change mobile devices. The concept is basically consumers buy multiple devices over years, and each device comes with different types of cables. As the device becomes obsolete, that cable is waste. If devices had a single standard, fewer cables are needed and perhaps devices won't need to ship with new cables.
Granted, an adapter probably isn't quite in the spirit of that, but technically Apple is in compliance without redesigning the iPhone. The 30-pin dock connector is multi-functional and proprietary, and does more than just sync and charge.
The adapter will be available starting October 14th and it's compatible with the iPhone 3G/3GS and iPhone 4/4S.
Apple Store UK
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
- Podcast: Looftlighter, Sapphire Glass, Robin Williams, Google Customer Service, plus more
- Apple mission statement on its culture of diversity
- A look at Apple University
- iPhone 6 prank
- Podcast: iPhone announcement date, traffic school, Apple-Samsung lawsuit, plus more
- iPhone event reportedly set for September 9th
- Apple, Samsung work towards burying the patent hatchet
- OWC adds software RAID option for ThunderBay external storage
- The Verge: Comcast’s internal customer retention guide
- Lightning dockStubz connector helps solve problem of docking with a case
- iPassword offering extension for third party iOS 8 apps
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
- FLIR One Thermal iPhone case goes on pre-order
Browse and search for more articles