AT&T is now advising customers that if they place their phone after Friday 6/12, they will not get it on the 19th. Instead, they can expect to receive their iPhone 7-14 days after the order is placed, and orders will be shipped first-come, first-serviced.
On AT&T's Website, shoppers ordering an iPhone 3G S of any kind get the following prompt:
"Pre-orders for iPhone 3G S will ship 7 to 14 days after your order is placed. Orders will be shipped on a first-come, first-served basis.
"The actual shipment date and receipt of your order is not guaranteed and may be subject to delays for reasons that include, but are not limited to, product availability, inventory, credit issues, number porting or carrier delays, and completion of other required AT&T business processes."
The Boy Genius Report has an email screen shot of what seems to be verbiage sent to stores. It states AT&T store orders should also expect the same shipping time table.
All systems still seem go on Apple's online store. Apple's online store is still promising delivery on 6/19.
AT&T's in-store pre-order offered the most flexible way to get a new iPhone on Friday. You could get a jump on other iPhone customers by lining up at 7 AM, presumably getting in and out before anyone else have an opportunity to buy. Or just walk in when convenient for you, thus no waiting around for FedEx or camping out. Perhaps many took advantage, or perhaps AT&T had limited inventory for direct fulfillment. For what it's worth, on Monday we heard a store manager relay that AT&T anticipated enough inventory to fill pre-orders made through last Wednesday.
Didnít pre-order an iPhone 3G S? You might have to wait about two weeks
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
- Podcast: Looftlighter, Sapphire Glass, Robin Williams, Google Customer Service, plus more
- Apple mission statement on its culture of diversity
- A look at Apple University
- iPhone 6 prank
- Podcast: iPhone announcement date, traffic school, Apple-Samsung lawsuit, plus more
- iPhone event reportedly set for September 9th
- Apple, Samsung work towards burying the patent hatchet
- OWC adds software RAID option for ThunderBay external storage
- The Verge: Comcastís internal customer retention guide
- Lightning dockStubz connector helps solve problem of docking with a case
- iPassword offering extension for third party iOS 8 apps
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
- FLIR One Thermal iPhone case goes on pre-order
- New MacBook Air stickers ad
- A detailed look at Yosemite and iOS 8 Continuity features
- Maroon 5, Pharrel Williams, Beck headline iTunes Festival
- Comcast vs Ryan Block
Browse and search for more articles