ifixit did their thing to the just now shipping MacBook Pro 17" Unibody laptop. As announced, the laptop's battery isn't removable. ifixit pulled all of its bits apart, and discovered the laptop battery is surprisingly accessible.
Apple announced that a battery replacement, if ever needed, must be done by Apple for a $180 charge. This news was a bit of a downer to some Mac aficionados. Apple promises better performance and lifespan on the design, a removable battery is still a nice comfort. Even if just as a backup battery if the new unit doesn't live up to average user's needs.
Fear not says ifixit. At least on the subject of a fading battery. Using some Operation skills, plus ifixit's guide, users have an option over Apple service. Certainly removing the battery will negatively affect the warranty, but if you really want to, there is a window for future upgrades. The big question is how much an after market battery cost? Likely it will be pricey, but probably not $180 pricey.
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
- Podcast: Thoughts on iPhone 6/6+, Hot Thighs and Tights Pants, What's Wrong with iPhone Lines
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
- iPhone launch weekend sees 10 million sold
- Thoughts on iPhone sizes
- Apple TV and HomeKit
- iPhone lines and the black market
- Podcast - iPhone pre-orders, iOS 8, Tim Cook Interview + More
- 1Password 5 now available for iOS w/ extensions, touch ID support
- iCloud data gets 2-step verification, new app-specifc passwords
- Apple posts Android switcher guide
- Charlie Rose Tim Cook Interview
- 4 million iPhone orders in first day, up from 2 million for iPhone 5
- Podcast: iPhone 6, Watch, Apple Pay, etc, etc
- New iCloud storage plans rolling out
- Macworld Magazine ends, continues online
- Apple Watch
- The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- Apple Pay
- Podcast: iCloud security tips, TheFappening, Apple Event, plus more
- Wired on how iCloud accounts may have been hacked
- My iCloud security tips
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
Browse and search for more articles