ifixit did their thing to the just now shipping MacBook Pro 17" Unibody laptop. As announced, the laptop's battery isn't removable. ifixit pulled all of its bits apart, and discovered the laptop battery is surprisingly accessible.
Apple announced that a battery replacement, if ever needed, must be done by Apple for a $180 charge. This news was a bit of a downer to some Mac aficionados. Apple promises better performance and lifespan on the design, a removable battery is still a nice comfort. Even if just as a backup battery if the new unit doesn't live up to average user's needs.
Fear not says ifixit. At least on the subject of a fading battery. Using some Operation skills, plus ifixit's guide, users have an option over Apple service. Certainly removing the battery will negatively affect the warranty, but if you really want to, there is a window for future upgrades. The big question is how much an after market battery cost? Likely it will be pricey, but probably not $180 pricey.
- Taking stock of Apple's own OS X apps
- Continuity Activation Tool now for USB dongles
- The backstory on iOS 8's wallpaper
- Twelve South announces BookBook for iPhone 6/6+
- Apple's new touching The Song ad
- Video: Post-It Note App for iOS captures your notes
- iDevices looks to jumpstart Homekit adoption
- Initial Apple-IBM enterprise solutions announced
- OWC announces SSD upgrade for new Mac Pros
- Apple TV gets YouTube update
- iTunes features best of 2014
- Link: Gift Guide for Bourbon Drinkers
- iPad 2 ad Change
- Jimmy Iovine interview on selling Beats to Apple
- Elgato ships Thunderbolt 2 Dock
- Quora: Should Apple recall the iPhone 6 Plus?
- Link - iCloud security tips
- Other World Computing Holiday Specials
- Trans Intl Holiday Deals
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
Browse and search for more articles