Adobe announced this week it will bring a full-featured Flash Player 10 to most of the major smartphone operating systems early next year. Most is code for all-but-the-iPhone.
The Flash player will have all the capabilities as the desktop version. Adobe currently has a Lite version of flash that is available for about 40% of all shipping phones. The Lite version, however, lacks the full features of the full desktop Flash.
The lack of iPhone support is sore thumb in the announcement, and Adobe acknowledges it. The company is quoted by CNET, "We would love to see it on the iPhone, too," said Anup Murarka, director of Technology Strategy and Partner Development for Adobe. "But it's Apple's decision on when and how they support any new technology. So we will continue to work on it."
Adobe and Apple have been collaborating on creating a Flash solution for the iPhone. Or likely more accurately, a version that will well represent the Web experience. Just this month, Adobe CEO discussed the challenges and persistence by both companies for a solution. There likely could be a second announcement prior to Flash Player 10 shipping next year. A full mobile version of Flash would appear to address Apple’s concerns, provided it can be integrated with the iPhone OS.
- Apple event scheduled for March 9th
- Pebble announces follow-up Time watch
- Report: Apple retooling in-store genius bar appointments
- YouTube launches family-friendly app for kids
- Apple announces two new data centers in Europe
- New Apple ad features Martin Scorsese and iPads
- Podcast: Apple Car and iPhone 6 to 6+ upgrade?
- Office Suite for iOS adds iCloud storage
- Modern Family episode shot on iPhones, iPads, MacBook
- Dropbox adds new iOS 8 extension
- New Yorker profile highlights Ive's leadership
- Apple Car rumor hits the right checkboxes
- Two-factor verification now active on iMessage and FaceTime
- Gassée on Apple redefining what's possible
- Apple looks to power California footprint with 25-year solar deal
- Apple uses store shelves to control iPhone designs leaks
- Podcast: Super Bowl, Apple Photos, New Verizon Rates, Plane Crash App
- New Photos app available in pre-release of OS X 10.10.3
- Report: Apple pitching new plan to TV industry
- Latest Verizon promo trims pricing on some plans
- Report: Jobs bio movie expected October 9th
- Apple Mystery Van spotted in Bay Area
- Apple to convert sapphire glass factory to data center command center
- Newer Tech replacement batteries for older unibody MacBooks
- McCracken on TUAW shutting down
Browse and search for more articles