Adobe announced this week it will bring a full-featured Flash Player 10 to most of the major smartphone operating systems early next year. Most is code for all-but-the-iPhone.
The Flash player will have all the capabilities as the desktop version. Adobe currently has a Lite version of flash that is available for about 40% of all shipping phones. The Lite version, however, lacks the full features of the full desktop Flash.
The lack of iPhone support is sore thumb in the announcement, and Adobe acknowledges it. The company is quoted by CNET, "We would love to see it on the iPhone, too," said Anup Murarka, director of Technology Strategy and Partner Development for Adobe. "But it's Apple's decision on when and how they support any new technology. So we will continue to work on it."
Adobe and Apple have been collaborating on creating a Flash solution for the iPhone. Or likely more accurately, a version that will well represent the Web experience. Just this month, Adobe CEO discussed the challenges and persistence by both companies for a solution. There likely could be a second announcement prior to Flash Player 10 shipping next year. A full mobile version of Flash would appear to address Apple’s concerns, provided it can be integrated with the iPhone OS.
- Podcast: End of Macworld Expo? Mac Hack, Jobs movie + more
- Tool and guides emerge to upgrade older Macs for Yosemite Continuity/Handoff
- Google Inbox
- Memory upgrades for new 5K iMac from Other World Computing
- Dropbox adds iPhone 6/6+, Touch ID support
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
- T-Mobile CEO Legere on Bendgate
- Podcast: Verizon Plans, Windows 10, Apple QA, plus much more
- Apple Activation Lock Status website
- Vogue Profiles Ive
- Verizon promotion boosts shared data plans
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
Browse and search for more articles