Adobe announced this week it will bring a full-featured Flash Player 10 to most of the major smartphone operating systems early next year. Most is code for all-but-the-iPhone.
The Flash player will have all the capabilities as the desktop version. Adobe currently has a Lite version of flash that is available for about 40% of all shipping phones. The Lite version, however, lacks the full features of the full desktop Flash.
The lack of iPhone support is sore thumb in the announcement, and Adobe acknowledges it. The company is quoted by CNET, "We would love to see it on the iPhone, too," said Anup Murarka, director of Technology Strategy and Partner Development for Adobe. "But it's Apple's decision on when and how they support any new technology. So we will continue to work on it."
Adobe and Apple have been collaborating on creating a Flash solution for the iPhone. Or likely more accurately, a version that will well represent the Web experience. Just this month, Adobe CEO discussed the challenges and persistence by both companies for a solution. There likely could be a second announcement prior to Flash Player 10 shipping next year. A full mobile version of Flash would appear to address Apple’s concerns, provided it can be integrated with the iPhone OS.
- Apple retail tracking site ifoapplestore calls it quits
- Session with Becoming Steve Jobs authors available on iTunes
- MacBook's USB-C Connector, Meerkat, Super Troopers, + More
- TED comes to Apple TV
- Agile Bits on passwords and security theater
- Fitbit to add multiple tracker support
- Report: Major Apple TV update, app store expected
- ABC News gets tour of Apple health and fitness lab
- Haptic touchpad on new MacBook Pro
- Tim Cook on internal collaboration and the customer experience
- Report: Apple TV subscription service expected this fall
- Want to live above an Apple Store?
- New movie: Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine
- Confusion over the MacBook's USB-C port
- Podcast: The Apple Watch
- Griffen WatchStand announced for Apple Watch
- Waterfield Designs Time Travel case for the Apple Watch
- The Apple Watch
- New MacBook comes in smaller, lighter than MacBook Air
- HBO Now official announced for Apple devices
- Reserve Strap battery backup for Apple Watch
- Podcast: Switching to iPhone 6 Plus, Apple Watch Role Playing, Over-Under + More
- New Steve Jobs book announced
- Apple promotes iPhone 6 photo gallery
- Tim Cook talks up customer privacy
Browse and search for more articles