Adobe announced this week it will bring a full-featured Flash Player 10 to most of the major smartphone operating systems early next year. Most is code for all-but-the-iPhone.
The Flash player will have all the capabilities as the desktop version. Adobe currently has a Lite version of flash that is available for about 40% of all shipping phones. The Lite version, however, lacks the full features of the full desktop Flash.
The lack of iPhone support is sore thumb in the announcement, and Adobe acknowledges it. The company is quoted by CNET, "We would love to see it on the iPhone, too," said Anup Murarka, director of Technology Strategy and Partner Development for Adobe. "But it's Apple's decision on when and how they support any new technology. So we will continue to work on it."
Adobe and Apple have been collaborating on creating a Flash solution for the iPhone. Or likely more accurately, a version that will well represent the Web experience. Just this month, Adobe CEO discussed the challenges and persistence by both companies for a solution. There likely could be a second announcement prior to Flash Player 10 shipping next year. A full mobile version of Flash would appear to address Apple’s concerns, provided it can be integrated with the iPhone OS.
- Rumors of Google Now like features in iOS 9
- Same day delivery option appears on Apple Store app
- Solving Apple Pre-Order Problems
- Ive named Chief Design Officer
- Gold plate your Apple Watch at home
- OWC announces Accelsior S PCIe mount for SSD drives
- Speed tests on MacBook Pro SSD speeds
- Apple Watch OS 1.0.1 Released
- Apple TV set reported abandoned
- MacBook Pro gains Force Touch, iMac 5K gets new pricing
- Video: How to sign/encrypt email using OS X Mail and a secure certificate authority CA
- LifeProof ships water-proof battery backup case
- Apple Watch lacks anti-theft security
- iGrill thermometer comes to the Apple Watch
- Apple Pay chipping away at Walmart backed CurrentC
- Safari on the Apple Watch
- Vulnerability found with MacKeeper
- Mac App Store sales
- Reserve Strap and the secret Apple Watch plug
- Apple Watch Review Diary: UX, odds and ends
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Battery: First Full Week
- Podcast: Thoughts on the Apple Watch
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Notifications
- Apple's supply chain and the defective taptic engine part
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Fitness Features/Tracker
Browse and search for more articles