Wired has published their annual listing of Top Technology Breakthroughs for this year. Some are surprising—like Michael Phelps Speed LZR bathing suit—and others have simply been a long-time coming (ie GPS).
Without further ado, here's their Top 10 for 2008:
10. Flexible displays
09. Edible chips
08. Speedo LZR
07. Flash memory
05. The Memristor
04. Video-capable SLRs
03. USB 3.0
01. Apple's AppStore
Until this year, mobile app developers lacked an easy way to get their software into the hands of consumers, forcing them to make deals with finicky and power-hungry carriers if they wanted to get any distribution at all. Apple's App Store changed all that. It made creating and distributing mobile applications for cellphone users easy—jumpstarting the mobile-app development market and creating clones such as the Android Market. It even forced Research in Motion to offer a BlackBerry Application Storefront. For thousands of programmers, the cellphone is the new PC.
[u] In related news, tech maven Maggie Shiels The BBC adds her voice to the chorus proclaiming the AppStore the year's top innovation:
To my mind Apple's App Store has been one of the big technology hits of the year. And the numbers certainly seem to bear that out with more than 300 million downloads since July. [u]
Yup, the AppStore's changed the world, but will Apple extend the revolution to the Mac, obviating boxed software? That's a (scary) thought worth considering...
Choose from over 4.5 Million songs!
- Taking stock of Apple's own OS X apps
- Continuity Activation Tool now for USB dongles
- The backstory on iOS 8's wallpaper
- Twelve South announces BookBook for iPhone 6/6+
- Apple's new touching The Song ad
- Video: Post-It Note App for iOS captures your notes
- iDevices looks to jumpstart Homekit adoption
- Initial Apple-IBM enterprise solutions announced
- OWC announces SSD upgrade for new Mac Pros
- Apple TV gets YouTube update
- iTunes features best of 2014
- Link: Gift Guide for Bourbon Drinkers
- iPad 2 ad Change
- Jimmy Iovine interview on selling Beats to Apple
- Elgato ships Thunderbolt 2 Dock
- Quora: Should Apple recall the iPhone 6 Plus?
- Link - iCloud security tips
- Other World Computing Holiday Specials
- Trans Intl Holiday Deals
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
Browse and search for more articles