November 15th 2017
By Mike Flaminio
9 to 5 Mac has a breakdown of whether AppleCare is worth it when buying an iPhone X.
AppleCare+ and non-AppleCare+ total cost comparisons specifically for iPhone X repairs in the US which covers up to two accidental damage repairs in two years versus zero without. Apple charges $29 for screen repairs in warranty, $99 for non-screen repairs in warranty, $279 for screen repairs out of warranty, and $549 for non-screen repairs out of warranty.
• $0: No AppleCare+ with no repairs
• $199: AppleCare+ with no accidental damage claims
• $228: AppleCare+ and one screen repair
• $257: AppleCare+ and two screen repair
• $279: No AppleCare+ and one screen repair
• $298: AppleCare+ and one non-screen repair
• $327: AppleCare+, one screen repair, and one non-screen repair
• $397: AppleCare+ and two non-screen repairs
• $549: No AppleCare+ and one non-screen repair
• $558: No AppleCare+ and two screen repairs
• $828: No AppleCare+, one screen repair, and one non-screen repair
• $1098: No AppleCare+ and two non-screen repairs
Essentially, if you break your screen, the difference between buying Apple Care and not buying AppleCare is $51. I made this point a few weeks ago when Apple posted new costs for iPhone X repairs and AppleCare coverage. I only bought AppleCare once for an iPhone when it was $99. Passing on AppleCare has worked out well for me and I don't plan on changing.