This morning the mainstream media and blogsphere are alive with reports that Microsoft has dumped its Seinfeld and Gates series of ads. ValleyWag has an interesting take on that sad reality:
Microsoft's version of the story: Redmond had always planned to drop Seinfeld. The awkward reality: The ads only reminded us how out of touch with consumers Microsoft is.
What's next? New York Times is quoting some fluff from Microsoft on the subject:
“This is just the beginning, the first phase of the campaign,” said Mich Mathews, senior vice president for marketing at Microsoft. “We’re on a journey to reposition the PC.”
A journey? The first toll booth along the road cost $10-million for Seinfeld alone and now Redmond's planning to spend more of their $300-million marketing budget.
“Hello, I’m a PC and I’ve been made into a stereotype,” says a Microsoft engineer in one of the new ads yet to air. The engineer resembles John Hodgman (in an ugly sort of way) and he uses PC's opening line—Microsoft's going to reframe their message, take back their image.
Good luck with that.
According to UK's Times Online, other ads will feature Mr Gates, as well as celebrities like Desperate Housewives actress Eva Longoria, hip-hop star Pharrell Williams and the author Deepak Chopra.
So far this year, we've seen Microsoft's insulting Mojave Project and the just-concluded Seinfeld and Gates pairing. Third time's a charm?
Don't start holding your breath just yet...
What's your take?
Choose from over 4 Million songs!
- Taking stock of Apple's own OS X apps
- Continuity Activation Tool now for USB dongles
- The backstory on iOS 8's wallpaper
- Twelve South announces BookBook for iPhone 6/6+
- Apple's new touching The Song ad
- Video: Post-It Note App for iOS captures your notes
- iDevices looks to jumpstart Homekit adoption
- Initial Apple-IBM enterprise solutions announced
- OWC announces SSD upgrade for new Mac Pros
- Apple TV gets YouTube update
- iTunes features best of 2014
- Link: Gift Guide for Bourbon Drinkers
- iPad 2 ad Change
- Jimmy Iovine interview on selling Beats to Apple
- Elgato ships Thunderbolt 2 Dock
- Quora: Should Apple recall the iPhone 6 Plus?
- Link - iCloud security tips
- Other World Computing Holiday Specials
- Trans Intl Holiday Deals
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
Browse and search for more articles