This morning the mainstream media and blogsphere are alive with reports that Microsoft has dumped its Seinfeld and Gates series of ads. ValleyWag has an interesting take on that sad reality:
Microsoft's version of the story: Redmond had always planned to drop Seinfeld. The awkward reality: The ads only reminded us how out of touch with consumers Microsoft is.
What's next? New York Times is quoting some fluff from Microsoft on the subject:
“This is just the beginning, the first phase of the campaign,” said Mich Mathews, senior vice president for marketing at Microsoft. “We’re on a journey to reposition the PC.”
A journey? The first toll booth along the road cost $10-million for Seinfeld alone and now Redmond's planning to spend more of their $300-million marketing budget.
“Hello, I’m a PC and I’ve been made into a stereotype,” says a Microsoft engineer in one of the new ads yet to air. The engineer resembles John Hodgman (in an ugly sort of way) and he uses PC's opening line—Microsoft's going to reframe their message, take back their image.
Good luck with that.
According to UK's Times Online, other ads will feature Mr Gates, as well as celebrities like Desperate Housewives actress Eva Longoria, hip-hop star Pharrell Williams and the author Deepak Chopra.
So far this year, we've seen Microsoft's insulting Mojave Project and the just-concluded Seinfeld and Gates pairing. Third time's a charm?
Don't start holding your breath just yet...
What's your take?
Choose from over 4 Million songs!
- Dropbox adds iPhone 6/6+, Touch ID support
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
- T-Mobile CEO Legere on Bendgate
- Podcast: Verizon Plans, Windows 10, Apple QA, plus much more
- Apple Activation Lock Status website
- Vogue Profiles Ive
- Verizon promotion boosts shared data plans
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
- Podcast: Thoughts on iPhone 6/6+, Hot Thighs and Tights Pants, What's Wrong with iPhone Lines
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
- iPhone launch weekend sees 10 million sold
- Thoughts on iPhone sizes
Browse and search for more articles