Wall Street Journal claims that Microsoft has or will hire Jerry Seinfeld to act its spokesman for a new $300-million ad campaign that will launch on Sept 4. Further, the comedian will take home $10-million for his role and appear alongside former CEO Bill Gates.
"They are not seen as cool," says Robert Passikoff, president, Brand Keys, a New York branding firm. "Apple is cool. Can anyone even recall a Microsoft ad? No."
The software giant's new advertising campaign, devised by a newly hired ad agency, has been closely guarded, but will use some variation of the slogan "Windows, Not Walls" and stress breaking down barriers that prevent people and ideas from connecting.
The move comes in response to Apple's growing share of the computer market in recent years, creditable to a degree to the company's popular I'm a Mac series of ads featuring stodgy John Hodgman (PC) and hipster Justin Long (Mac).
Editor's note: Is Seinfeld still cool? Is his brand of snarky sarcasm what Microsoft needs to regain its footing?
Vista's poor quality and lack of meaningful features are the source Microsoft's problems, not the lack of slick pitch man.
I guess they're hoping the tail can wag the dog...
What's your take?
Choose from over 4-million songs!
Work on any MP3 player, including the iPod! Click Here
- Live @ 10 PN ET - Gift Ideas, XBox One, Phone Subsidies, Football and more
- Walmart to launch iPhone 5s, 5c Christmas sales
- Apple TV adds additional content from ABC, others
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas launches for iOS
- Angry Birds Go launches
- Straight Talk launches iPhone 5s, 5c sans contracts
- Wired looks at Square's card reader redesign
- Twitter for iOS gets update for DM photos
- Real world use of iBeacon in Apple stores
- 1Password for Mac 4.1 bring a number of improvements
- WSJ blasts ant-trust judge and prosecutor
- BassJump Subwoofer gets update for Mavericks
- Video: Shinola Premium Leather iPhone 5/5s case
- Honda announces further integration with iPhones
- Apple acquires Topsy Labs
- A look at some 4K monitor options
- Rockstar bringing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas to iOS
- GLIF iPhone mount get update to be adjustable
- Honda rolling out Siri Eye Free on selection 2014 vehicles
- ScreenFlow 4.5 now available with Mavericks support
- Apple announces Black Friday sales
- iPhone 5s now available unlocked from Apple
- Apple buys 3D sensor company
- Podcast: Power outage, bad phone carriers, PS4, CoD, plus more
- Fifty Three announces Pencil Stylus
Browse and search for more articles