Wall Street Journal claims that Microsoft has or will hire Jerry Seinfeld to act its spokesman for a new $300-million ad campaign that will launch on Sept 4. Further, the comedian will take home $10-million for his role and appear alongside former CEO Bill Gates.
"They are not seen as cool," says Robert Passikoff, president, Brand Keys, a New York branding firm. "Apple is cool. Can anyone even recall a Microsoft ad? No."
The software giant's new advertising campaign, devised by a newly hired ad agency, has been closely guarded, but will use some variation of the slogan "Windows, Not Walls" and stress breaking down barriers that prevent people and ideas from connecting.
The move comes in response to Apple's growing share of the computer market in recent years, creditable to a degree to the company's popular I'm a Mac series of ads featuring stodgy John Hodgman (PC) and hipster Justin Long (Mac).
Editor's note: Is Seinfeld still cool? Is his brand of snarky sarcasm what Microsoft needs to regain its footing?
Vista's poor quality and lack of meaningful features are the source Microsoft's problems, not the lack of slick pitch man.
I guess they're hoping the tail can wag the dog...
What's your take?
Choose from over 4-million songs!
Work on any MP3 player, including the iPod! Click Here
- Trans Intl announce performance 2 TB Tiger SSD
- Ken Segall on Apple Watch's killer app
- Video: FLIR One thermal camera w/ Lightning Connector for iOS (Second Generation)
- Second gen FLIR One thermal cam with Lightning connector now available
- Report: How free apps are changing ad-supported content
- iOS 9 looks to free up space for OS upgrades
- CarPlay coming to select 2016 Buick and GMC vehicles
- Apple changes course on Radio payments during trial
- Taylor Swift sounds off on Apple Music free trial
- Apple patches some issues with XARA exploit
- On Apple's accessibility push with iOS
- Snowden on Apple privacy initiatives
- Nice overview of new OS X and iOS vulnerabilities
- OS X/iOS flaws may make passwords vunerable
- Dark Sky weather app gets major update
- Adobe announces updates to Creative Cloud
- Instacast podcast player is discontinued
- Apple Pay to deliver 71.5%+ split to music owners
- Ars Technical looks at El Capitan
- Podcast: iOS 9, El Capitan, Apple Watch + More
- Apple’s Schiller talks about 16 GB on entry level devices
- OWC USB-C Dock goes on pre-order
- Apple Watch watchOS 2 announced with native apps
- iOS 9 announced with refinements and iPad features
- OS X 10.11 El Capitan announced
Browse and search for more articles