Wall Street Journal claims that Microsoft has or will hire Jerry Seinfeld to act its spokesman for a new $300-million ad campaign that will launch on Sept 4. Further, the comedian will take home $10-million for his role and appear alongside former CEO Bill Gates.
"They are not seen as cool," says Robert Passikoff, president, Brand Keys, a New York branding firm. "Apple is cool. Can anyone even recall a Microsoft ad? No."
The software giant's new advertising campaign, devised by a newly hired ad agency, has been closely guarded, but will use some variation of the slogan "Windows, Not Walls" and stress breaking down barriers that prevent people and ideas from connecting.
The move comes in response to Apple's growing share of the computer market in recent years, creditable to a degree to the company's popular I'm a Mac series of ads featuring stodgy John Hodgman (PC) and hipster Justin Long (Mac).
Editor's note: Is Seinfeld still cool? Is his brand of snarky sarcasm what Microsoft needs to regain its footing?
Vista's poor quality and lack of meaningful features are the source Microsoft's problems, not the lack of slick pitch man.
I guess they're hoping the tail can wag the dog...
What's your take?
Choose from over 4-million songs!
Work on any MP3 player, including the iPod! Click Here
- Taking stock of Apple's own OS X apps
- Continuity Activation Tool now for USB dongles
- The backstory on iOS 8's wallpaper
- Twelve South announces BookBook for iPhone 6/6+
- Apple's new touching The Song ad
- Video: Post-It Note App for iOS captures your notes
- iDevices looks to jumpstart Homekit adoption
- Initial Apple-IBM enterprise solutions announced
- OWC announces SSD upgrade for new Mac Pros
- Apple TV gets YouTube update
- iTunes features best of 2014
- Link: Gift Guide for Bourbon Drinkers
- iPad 2 ad Change
- Jimmy Iovine interview on selling Beats to Apple
- Elgato ships Thunderbolt 2 Dock
- Quora: Should Apple recall the iPhone 6 Plus?
- Link - iCloud security tips
- Other World Computing Holiday Specials
- Trans Intl Holiday Deals
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
Browse and search for more articles