Wall Street Journal claims that Microsoft has or will hire Jerry Seinfeld to act its spokesman for a new $300-million ad campaign that will launch on Sept 4. Further, the comedian will take home $10-million for his role and appear alongside former CEO Bill Gates.
"They are not seen as cool," says Robert Passikoff, president, Brand Keys, a New York branding firm. "Apple is cool. Can anyone even recall a Microsoft ad? No."
The software giant's new advertising campaign, devised by a newly hired ad agency, has been closely guarded, but will use some variation of the slogan "Windows, Not Walls" and stress breaking down barriers that prevent people and ideas from connecting.
The move comes in response to Apple's growing share of the computer market in recent years, creditable to a degree to the company's popular I'm a Mac series of ads featuring stodgy John Hodgman (PC) and hipster Justin Long (Mac).
Editor's note: Is Seinfeld still cool? Is his brand of snarky sarcasm what Microsoft needs to regain its footing?
Vista's poor quality and lack of meaningful features are the source Microsoft's problems, not the lack of slick pitch man.
I guess they're hoping the tail can wag the dog...
What's your take?
Choose from over 4-million songs!
Work on any MP3 player, including the iPod! Click Here
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
- Podcast: Thoughts on iPhone 6/6+, Hot Thighs and Tights Pants, What's Wrong with iPhone Lines
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
- iPhone launch weekend sees 10 million sold
- Thoughts on iPhone sizes
- Apple TV and HomeKit
- iPhone lines and the black market
- Podcast - iPhone pre-orders, iOS 8, Tim Cook Interview + More
- 1Password 5 now available for iOS w/ extensions, touch ID support
- iCloud data gets 2-step verification, new app-specifc passwords
- Apple posts Android switcher guide
- Charlie Rose Tim Cook Interview
- 4 million iPhone orders in first day, up from 2 million for iPhone 5
- Podcast: iPhone 6, Watch, Apple Pay, etc, etc
- New iCloud storage plans rolling out
- Macworld Magazine ends, continues online
- Apple Watch
- The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- Apple Pay
- Podcast: iCloud security tips, TheFappening, Apple Event, plus more
- Wired on how iCloud accounts may have been hacked
- My iCloud security tips
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
Browse and search for more articles