Quoting a Vancouver Sun editorial, MacNN reports that Apple has diverted 3G iPhones destined for Canada to Europe in reaction to Rogers exorbitant rates plans.
Since the carrier announced what it intends to charge subscribers, more than 43,000 users have signed an online petition condemning Rogers for its parsimony and acquisitiveness.
"If you don't like the price of an iPhone, don't buy it. One side-effect of the year-long wait for iPhones in Canada is that other gadgets, such as the much-talked about Samsung Instinct, are providing new competition," opines the Vancouver Sun. "If Rogers finds it has priced itself out of the market, it won't take a petition to ring in lower prices."
Meanwhile, Smithereens (a blog by Dan Smith) claims to have confirmed some details of the Sun's story. Specifically, that 3G iPhones have been diverted to Europe and that temporary staff hired to handle July 11 launch-day rush have been sacked.
That said, each Rogers retail outlet will get only 10-20 units, which is due to Apple's ire over the carrier's published rate plans.
Lastly, Canada's only GSM network provider is softening its position, saying that it's tweaking plans and will allow iPhone buyers to purchase the company's existing plans, which may or may not be an improvement.
Editor's note: So, Apple re-evaluated the situation and is shifting 3G handsets to countries where they'll actually sell because carriers in those markets have rate plans aren't evil?
Although it's possible that Apple is diverting stock to other locations, I doubt that any such move was meant as "punishment." For all we know, Rogers may have suggested the adjustment.
Still, the spin this news is getting can't be doing any them any good...
What's your take?
- Walk through video on upgrading Mac Pro CPU
- Podcast: iPhone 6 rumors, CarPlay, Titanfall (#107)
- New app aims to get you out of awkward situations
- Hackintosh: Updating to OS X 10.9.2 + Tips (#21)
- Twelve South announces SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Apple-Tesla battery connection
- Report: Mobile Internet access passes desktop
- Random Steve Jobs stories
- Apple rebrands iOS in the Car as CarPlay
- Video: Kershaw Ken Onion Chive Pocket Knife
- Podcast: Apple's security issue, XBox One grievances + dashboard update
- David Fincher may direct Jobs movie
- FCC Launches iOS broadband survey tester/tool
- OS X security update now available
- Hackintosh Series: Haswell OS X Install and Config + Tips (#20)
- Tips for securing your Mac and data from theft
- Tainted Love backed up by floppy drives
- On the delay updating OS X on gotofail
- Apple’s gotofail security gap extends to OS X
- Trailer for Mike Judge’s Silicon Valley
- Video: Hackintosh Series: BIOS Setup (#19)
- Comcast and Netflix work out a deal
- Steve Jobs to be on postage stamp
- iTunes Festival at SXSW
- Element Case adds iPad Air Soft-Tec Folio case
Browse and search for more articles