Quoting a Vancouver Sun editorial, MacNN reports that Apple has diverted 3G iPhones destined for Canada to Europe in reaction to Rogers exorbitant rates plans.
Since the carrier announced what it intends to charge subscribers, more than 43,000 users have signed an online petition condemning Rogers for its parsimony and acquisitiveness.
"If you don't like the price of an iPhone, don't buy it. One side-effect of the year-long wait for iPhones in Canada is that other gadgets, such as the much-talked about Samsung Instinct, are providing new competition," opines the Vancouver Sun. "If Rogers finds it has priced itself out of the market, it won't take a petition to ring in lower prices."
Meanwhile, Smithereens (a blog by Dan Smith) claims to have confirmed some details of the Sun's story. Specifically, that 3G iPhones have been diverted to Europe and that temporary staff hired to handle July 11 launch-day rush have been sacked.
That said, each Rogers retail outlet will get only 10-20 units, which is due to Apple's ire over the carrier's published rate plans.
Lastly, Canada's only GSM network provider is softening its position, saying that it's tweaking plans and will allow iPhone buyers to purchase the company's existing plans, which may or may not be an improvement.
Editor's note: So, Apple re-evaluated the situation and is shifting 3G handsets to countries where they'll actually sell because carriers in those markets have rate plans aren't evil?
Although it's possible that Apple is diverting stock to other locations, I doubt that any such move was meant as "punishment." For all we know, Rogers may have suggested the adjustment.
Still, the spin this news is getting can't be doing any them any good...
What's your take?
- MacBook's USB-C Connector, Meerkat, Super Troopers, + More
- TED comes to Apple TV
- Agile Bits on passwords and security theater
- Fitbit to add multiple tracker support
- Report: Major Apple TV update, app store expected
- ABC News gets tour of Apple health and fitness lab
- Haptic touchpad on new MacBook Pro
- Tim Cook on internal collaboration and the customer experience
- Report: Apple TV subscription service expected this fall
- Want to live above an Apple Store?
- New movie: Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine
- Confusion over the MacBook's USB-C port
- Podcast: The Apple Watch
- Griffen WatchStand announced for Apple Watch
- Waterfield Designs Time Travel case for the Apple Watch
- The Apple Watch
- New MacBook comes in smaller, lighter than MacBook Air
- HBO Now official announced for Apple devices
- Reserve Strap battery backup for Apple Watch
- Podcast: Switching to iPhone 6 Plus, Apple Watch Role Playing, Over-Under + More
- New Steve Jobs book announced
- Apple promotes iPhone 6 photo gallery
- Tim Cook talks up customer privacy
- iPhone design and battery life
- Apple event scheduled for March 9th
Browse and search for more articles