Quoting a Vancouver Sun editorial, MacNN reports that Apple has diverted 3G iPhones destined for Canada to Europe in reaction to Rogers exorbitant rates plans.
Since the carrier announced what it intends to charge subscribers, more than 43,000 users have signed an online petition condemning Rogers for its parsimony and acquisitiveness.
"If you don't like the price of an iPhone, don't buy it. One side-effect of the year-long wait for iPhones in Canada is that other gadgets, such as the much-talked about Samsung Instinct, are providing new competition," opines the Vancouver Sun. "If Rogers finds it has priced itself out of the market, it won't take a petition to ring in lower prices."
Meanwhile, Smithereens (a blog by Dan Smith) claims to have confirmed some details of the Sun's story. Specifically, that 3G iPhones have been diverted to Europe and that temporary staff hired to handle July 11 launch-day rush have been sacked.
That said, each Rogers retail outlet will get only 10-20 units, which is due to Apple's ire over the carrier's published rate plans.
Lastly, Canada's only GSM network provider is softening its position, saying that it's tweaking plans and will allow iPhone buyers to purchase the company's existing plans, which may or may not be an improvement.
Editor's note: So, Apple re-evaluated the situation and is shifting 3G handsets to countries where they'll actually sell because carriers in those markets have rate plans aren't evil?
Although it's possible that Apple is diverting stock to other locations, I doubt that any such move was meant as "punishment." For all we know, Rogers may have suggested the adjustment.
Still, the spin this news is getting can't be doing any them any good...
What's your take?
- My iCloud security tips
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
- Podcast: Looftlighter, Sapphire Glass, Robin Williams, Google Customer Service, plus more
- Apple mission statement on its culture of diversity
- A look at Apple University
- iPhone 6 prank
- Podcast: iPhone announcement date, traffic school, Apple-Samsung lawsuit, plus more
- iPhone event reportedly set for September 9th
- Apple, Samsung work towards burying the patent hatchet
- OWC adds software RAID option for ThunderBay external storage
- The Verge: Comcast’s internal customer retention guide
- Lightning dockStubz connector helps solve problem of docking with a case
- iPassword offering extension for third party iOS 8 apps
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
Browse and search for more articles