Quoting a Vancouver Sun editorial, MacNN reports that Apple has diverted 3G iPhones destined for Canada to Europe in reaction to Rogers exorbitant rates plans.
Since the carrier announced what it intends to charge subscribers, more than 43,000 users have signed an online petition condemning Rogers for its parsimony and acquisitiveness.
"If you don't like the price of an iPhone, don't buy it. One side-effect of the year-long wait for iPhones in Canada is that other gadgets, such as the much-talked about Samsung Instinct, are providing new competition," opines the Vancouver Sun. "If Rogers finds it has priced itself out of the market, it won't take a petition to ring in lower prices."
Meanwhile, Smithereens (a blog by Dan Smith) claims to have confirmed some details of the Sun's story. Specifically, that 3G iPhones have been diverted to Europe and that temporary staff hired to handle July 11 launch-day rush have been sacked.
That said, each Rogers retail outlet will get only 10-20 units, which is due to Apple's ire over the carrier's published rate plans.
Lastly, Canada's only GSM network provider is softening its position, saying that it's tweaking plans and will allow iPhone buyers to purchase the company's existing plans, which may or may not be an improvement.
Editor's note: So, Apple re-evaluated the situation and is shifting 3G handsets to countries where they'll actually sell because carriers in those markets have rate plans aren't evil?
Although it's possible that Apple is diverting stock to other locations, I doubt that any such move was meant as "punishment." For all we know, Rogers may have suggested the adjustment.
Still, the spin this news is getting can't be doing any them any good...
What's your take?
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
- New Twelve South adjustable HiRise Deluxe matches your device
- Apple’s Eddie Cue goes shopping with Apple Pay
- OWC announces ThunderBay 4 mini portable Thunderbolt 2 RAID
- Video: Did you know your Mac is tracking all your downloads? Here's how to fix that.
- Site tracks Apple Stores replacing bent iPhones
- OWC announces 1 TB upgrades for MacBook Air
- Apple website deregisters iMessage on devices
- Trolling AirDrop
- Microsoft rolls out new iPhone Offices, updates for iPad
- Twelve South releases SurfacePad for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Mac OS X Hints site future uncertain
- Jawbone UP3 adds on more sensors
- Macworld looks at Pioneer's CarPlay upgrade
- $99 iPhone 6 expected at Sam's Club
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
- Walgreens and Apple Pay
- Fitbit bring out three new fitness wristband
- Apple Pay sparks rift between merchants and credit cards
- Podcast: End of Macworld Expo? Mac Hack, Jobs movie + more
- Tool and guides emerge to upgrade older Macs for Yosemite Continuity/Handoff
Browse and search for more articles