Quoting a Vancouver Sun editorial, MacNN reports that Apple has diverted 3G iPhones destined for Canada to Europe in reaction to Rogers exorbitant rates plans.
Since the carrier announced what it intends to charge subscribers, more than 43,000 users have signed an online petition condemning Rogers for its parsimony and acquisitiveness.
"If you don't like the price of an iPhone, don't buy it. One side-effect of the year-long wait for iPhones in Canada is that other gadgets, such as the much-talked about Samsung Instinct, are providing new competition," opines the Vancouver Sun. "If Rogers finds it has priced itself out of the market, it won't take a petition to ring in lower prices."
Meanwhile, Smithereens (a blog by Dan Smith) claims to have confirmed some details of the Sun's story. Specifically, that 3G iPhones have been diverted to Europe and that temporary staff hired to handle July 11 launch-day rush have been sacked.
That said, each Rogers retail outlet will get only 10-20 units, which is due to Apple's ire over the carrier's published rate plans.
Lastly, Canada's only GSM network provider is softening its position, saying that it's tweaking plans and will allow iPhone buyers to purchase the company's existing plans, which may or may not be an improvement.
Editor's note: So, Apple re-evaluated the situation and is shifting 3G handsets to countries where they'll actually sell because carriers in those markets have rate plans aren't evil?
Although it's possible that Apple is diverting stock to other locations, I doubt that any such move was meant as "punishment." For all we know, Rogers may have suggested the adjustment.
Still, the spin this news is getting can't be doing any them any good...
What's your take?
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
- Podcast: Thoughts on iPhone 6/6+, Hot Thighs and Tights Pants, What's Wrong with iPhone Lines
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
- iPhone launch weekend sees 10 million sold
- Thoughts on iPhone sizes
- Apple TV and HomeKit
- iPhone lines and the black market
- Podcast - iPhone pre-orders, iOS 8, Tim Cook Interview + More
- 1Password 5 now available for iOS w/ extensions, touch ID support
- iCloud data gets 2-step verification, new app-specifc passwords
- Apple posts Android switcher guide
- Charlie Rose Tim Cook Interview
- 4 million iPhone orders in first day, up from 2 million for iPhone 5
- Podcast: iPhone 6, Watch, Apple Pay, etc, etc
- New iCloud storage plans rolling out
- Macworld Magazine ends, continues online
- Apple Watch
- The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- Apple Pay
- Podcast: iCloud security tips, TheFappening, Apple Event, plus more
- Wired on how iCloud accounts may have been hacked
- My iCloud security tips
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
Browse and search for more articles