Fortune reports on the "iPhone Five," sustainable agriculture activists that are members of a publicity-seeking green group, TheWhoFarm. Their mission is to persuade the 44th President of the US—whoever that turns out to be—to transform the White House’s 17-acre lawn into an organic farm.
“We’re here to restore the edible landscape,” says Daniel Bowman Simon, 28, the group’s organizer and spokesperson. “We want to bring seeds of change back to the White House.”
A laudable goal, assuming it doesn't involve depopulating the planet or counter-evolutionary claptrap (like veganism), and to help make their point the iPhone Five want to set a new Guinness Record for the “longest time waiting in line to buy something.”
Surely, some hapless Russian who waited to buy toilet during the Soviet era owns the record and just as surely TheWhoFarm doesn't really expect the President to convert the Rose Garden into an organic patch full of lentils and leafy greens.
[u] Engadget has posted a video with interviews of people online at the NYC Fifth Avenue store, ground zero for the 3G iPhone which launches next Friday. [u]
It's ostensibly a good cause and the iPhone Five appear to be just nutty enough to make it entertaining. But, now that the ice has been broken, look for the real nutters and their causes to show up.
Knowing Apple, they've got a handle on the circus. Then again, we are talking about New York City where it's often difficult to tell the difference between the crazies and the media...
What's your take?
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
- Podcast: Looftlighter, Sapphire Glass, Robin Williams, Google Customer Service, plus more
- Apple mission statement on its culture of diversity
- A look at Apple University
- iPhone 6 prank
- Podcast: iPhone announcement date, traffic school, Apple-Samsung lawsuit, plus more
- iPhone event reportedly set for September 9th
- Apple, Samsung work towards burying the patent hatchet
- OWC adds software RAID option for ThunderBay external storage
- The Verge: Comcast’s internal customer retention guide
- Lightning dockStubz connector helps solve problem of docking with a case
- iPassword offering extension for third party iOS 8 apps
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
- FLIR One Thermal iPhone case goes on pre-order
- New MacBook Air stickers ad
- A detailed look at Yosemite and iOS 8 Continuity features
- Maroon 5, Pharrel Williams, Beck headline iTunes Festival
- Comcast vs Ryan Block
Browse and search for more articles