Fortune reports on the "iPhone Five," sustainable agriculture activists that are members of a publicity-seeking green group, TheWhoFarm. Their mission is to persuade the 44th President of the US—whoever that turns out to be—to transform the White House’s 17-acre lawn into an organic farm.
“We’re here to restore the edible landscape,” says Daniel Bowman Simon, 28, the group’s organizer and spokesperson. “We want to bring seeds of change back to the White House.”
A laudable goal, assuming it doesn't involve depopulating the planet or counter-evolutionary claptrap (like veganism), and to help make their point the iPhone Five want to set a new Guinness Record for the “longest time waiting in line to buy something.”
Surely, some hapless Russian who waited to buy toilet during the Soviet era owns the record and just as surely TheWhoFarm doesn't really expect the President to convert the Rose Garden into an organic patch full of lentils and leafy greens.
[u] Engadget has posted a video with interviews of people online at the NYC Fifth Avenue store, ground zero for the 3G iPhone which launches next Friday. [u]
It's ostensibly a good cause and the iPhone Five appear to be just nutty enough to make it entertaining. But, now that the ice has been broken, look for the real nutters and their causes to show up.
Knowing Apple, they've got a handle on the circus. Then again, we are talking about New York City where it's often difficult to tell the difference between the crazies and the media...
What's your take?
- Report: The how, the where, and the when for the Apple Watch ordering
- Apple retail tracking site ifoapplestore calls it quits
- Session with Becoming Steve Jobs authors available on iTunes
- MacBook's USB-C Connector, Meerkat, Super Troopers, + More
- TED comes to Apple TV
- Agile Bits on passwords and security theater
- Fitbit to add multiple tracker support
- Report: Major Apple TV update, app store expected
- ABC News gets tour of Apple health and fitness lab
- Haptic touchpad on new MacBook Pro
- Tim Cook on internal collaboration and the customer experience
- Report: Apple TV subscription service expected this fall
- Want to live above an Apple Store?
- New movie: Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine
- Confusion over the MacBook's USB-C port
- Podcast: The Apple Watch
- Griffen WatchStand announced for Apple Watch
- Waterfield Designs Time Travel case for the Apple Watch
- The Apple Watch
- New MacBook comes in smaller, lighter than MacBook Air
- HBO Now official announced for Apple devices
- Reserve Strap battery backup for Apple Watch
- Podcast: Switching to iPhone 6 Plus, Apple Watch Role Playing, Over-Under + More
- New Steve Jobs book announced
- Apple promotes iPhone 6 photo gallery
Browse and search for more articles