Back on June 16, IGM reported that Portelligent generated a "bill of materials" (BOM) indicating the parts inside the 3G iPhone cost $100.
Today, quoting numbers generated by iSuppli, BusinessWeek reports that the 8GB 3G iPhone costs Apple about $173 each to make. The first version of the iPhone was initially said to cost $220 to make, though that figure has since been revised to $226.
"They have done a good job in using what worked well with the first one and making improvements where it mattered," says iSuppli analyst Jagdish Rebello, who also revealed that Apple pays about $45 in licensing fees per handset.
Apple's per-unit profit on an 8GB iPhone works out to about $281, or about 56%, which is inline with the company's margin on original versions of the handset.
It's widely believed that AT&T will subsidize a big chunk of the price of each phone—an estimated $499 for each device. AT&T hopes to make up for the expense through monthly service packages.
In the US, the 8GB 3G iPhone will set buyers back $199 initially and then $70 per month on a two-year contract.
Editor's note: Apple's cut the cost of the handset despite adding 3G and GPS.
Order online and get free shipping. Expires 9 / 15
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
- New Twelve South adjustable HiRise Deluxe matches your device
- Apple’s Eddie Cue goes shopping with Apple Pay
- OWC announces ThunderBay 4 mini portable Thunderbolt 2 RAID
- Video: Did you know your Mac is tracking all your downloads? Here's how to fix that.
- Site tracks Apple Stores replacing bent iPhones
- OWC announces 1 TB upgrades for MacBook Air
- Apple website deregisters iMessage on devices
- Trolling AirDrop
- Microsoft rolls out new iPhone Offices, updates for iPad
- Twelve South releases SurfacePad for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Mac OS X Hints site future uncertain
- Jawbone UP3 adds on more sensors
- Macworld looks at Pioneer's CarPlay upgrade
- $99 iPhone 6 expected at Sam's Club
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
- Walgreens and Apple Pay
- Fitbit bring out three new fitness wristband
- Apple Pay sparks rift between merchants and credit cards
- Podcast: End of Macworld Expo? Mac Hack, Jobs movie + more
- Tool and guides emerge to upgrade older Macs for Yosemite Continuity/Handoff
Browse and search for more articles