Back on June 16, IGM reported that Portelligent generated a "bill of materials" (BOM) indicating the parts inside the 3G iPhone cost $100.
Today, quoting numbers generated by iSuppli, BusinessWeek reports that the 8GB 3G iPhone costs Apple about $173 each to make. The first version of the iPhone was initially said to cost $220 to make, though that figure has since been revised to $226.
"They have done a good job in using what worked well with the first one and making improvements where it mattered," says iSuppli analyst Jagdish Rebello, who also revealed that Apple pays about $45 in licensing fees per handset.
Apple's per-unit profit on an 8GB iPhone works out to about $281, or about 56%, which is inline with the company's margin on original versions of the handset.
It's widely believed that AT&T will subsidize a big chunk of the price of each phone—an estimated $499 for each device. AT&T hopes to make up for the expense through monthly service packages.
In the US, the 8GB 3G iPhone will set buyers back $199 initially and then $70 per month on a two-year contract.
Editor's note: Apple's cut the cost of the handset despite adding 3G and GPS.
Order online and get free shipping. Expires 9 / 15
- BassJump Subwoofer gets update for Mavericks
- Video: Shinola Premium Leather iPhone 5/5s case
- Honda announces further integration with iPhones
- Apple acquires Topsy Labs
- A look at some 4K monitor options
- Rockstar bringing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas to iOS
- GLIF iPhone mount get update to be adjustable
- Honda rolling out Siri Eye Free on selection 2014 vehicles
- ScreenFlow 4.5 now available with Mavericks support
- Apple announces Black Friday sales
- iPhone 5s now available unlocked from Apple
- Apple buys 3D sensor company
- Podcast: Power outage, bad phone carriers, PS4, CoD, plus more
- Fifty Three announces Pencil Stylus
- OWC adds USB 3.0 to Mercury Elite Pro Qx2 enclosures
- MOGA Ace Power iOS game controller
- Sprint offers free 12 month smartphone service for students
- Find My Friends app get iOS 7 treatment
- PBS, Yahoo Screen comes to Apple TV
- Podcast: Episode 100, iPad mini, iPhone case is crappy or not? Everpix, plus more
- My iPhone Home Page AppsVideo:
- Video: Apple Leather iPhone 5/5S Case (Product RED)
- Philips announces Hue BR30 bulbs recessed lighting
- Twelve South announces BookBook Travel Journal
- Everpix shuts down
Browse and search for more articles