Back on June 16, IGM reported that Portelligent generated a "bill of materials" (BOM) indicating the parts inside the 3G iPhone cost $100.
Today, quoting numbers generated by iSuppli, BusinessWeek reports that the 8GB 3G iPhone costs Apple about $173 each to make. The first version of the iPhone was initially said to cost $220 to make, though that figure has since been revised to $226.
"They have done a good job in using what worked well with the first one and making improvements where it mattered," says iSuppli analyst Jagdish Rebello, who also revealed that Apple pays about $45 in licensing fees per handset.
Apple's per-unit profit on an 8GB iPhone works out to about $281, or about 56%, which is inline with the company's margin on original versions of the handset.
It's widely believed that AT&T will subsidize a big chunk of the price of each phone—an estimated $499 for each device. AT&T hopes to make up for the expense through monthly service packages.
In the US, the 8GB 3G iPhone will set buyers back $199 initially and then $70 per month on a two-year contract.
Editor's note: Apple's cut the cost of the handset despite adding 3G and GPS.
Order online and get free shipping. Expires 9 / 15
- Speed tests on MacBook Pro SSD speeds
- Apple Watch OS 1.0.1 Released
- Apple TV set reported abandoned
- MacBook Pro gains Force Touch, iMac 5K gets new pricing
- Video: How to sign/encrypt email using OS X Mail and a secure certificate authority CA
- LifeProof ships water-proof battery backup case
- Apple Watch lacks anti-theft security
- iGrill thermometer comes to the Apple Watch
- Apple Pay chipping away at Walmart backed CurrentC
- Safari on the Apple Watch
- Vulnerability found with MacKeeper
- Mac App Store sales
- Reserve Strap and the secret Apple Watch plug
- Apple Watch Review Diary: UX, odds and ends
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Battery: First Full Week
- Podcast: Thoughts on the Apple Watch
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Notifications
- Apple's supply chain and the defective taptic engine part
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Fitness Features/Tracker
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Productivity Apps: OmniFocus, Trello, Evernote IFTTT
- Tattoos and Apple Watches may not mix
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Making/Receiving Phone Calls
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Siri
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Maps/Navigation
- Apple Watch Review Diary - The Controls
Browse and search for more articles