Back on June 16, IGM reported that Portelligent generated a "bill of materials" (BOM) indicating the parts inside the 3G iPhone cost $100.
Today, quoting numbers generated by iSuppli, BusinessWeek reports that the 8GB 3G iPhone costs Apple about $173 each to make. The first version of the iPhone was initially said to cost $220 to make, though that figure has since been revised to $226.
"They have done a good job in using what worked well with the first one and making improvements where it mattered," says iSuppli analyst Jagdish Rebello, who also revealed that Apple pays about $45 in licensing fees per handset.
Apple's per-unit profit on an 8GB iPhone works out to about $281, or about 56%, which is inline with the company's margin on original versions of the handset.
It's widely believed that AT&T will subsidize a big chunk of the price of each phone—an estimated $499 for each device. AT&T hopes to make up for the expense through monthly service packages.
In the US, the 8GB 3G iPhone will set buyers back $199 initially and then $70 per month on a two-year contract.
Editor's note: Apple's cut the cost of the handset despite adding 3G and GPS.
Order online and get free shipping. Expires 9 / 15
- My iCloud security tips
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
- Podcast: Looftlighter, Sapphire Glass, Robin Williams, Google Customer Service, plus more
- Apple mission statement on its culture of diversity
- A look at Apple University
- iPhone 6 prank
- Podcast: iPhone announcement date, traffic school, Apple-Samsung lawsuit, plus more
- iPhone event reportedly set for September 9th
- Apple, Samsung work towards burying the patent hatchet
- OWC adds software RAID option for ThunderBay external storage
- The Verge: Comcast’s internal customer retention guide
- Lightning dockStubz connector helps solve problem of docking with a case
- iPassword offering extension for third party iOS 8 apps
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
Browse and search for more articles