TimesOnline (UK) reports on Apple iPhone partner O2's international roaming data charges and it ain't pretty.
[T]he unlimited data and wi-fi allowances only apply in the UK. Once you start using the device abroad, charges shoot up to £3 ($5.88) for each megabyte (MB) of data downloaded in the EU and £6 elsewhere in the world.
Put into practical terms, that means watching the average BBC iPlayer program (300MB) would cost £900 ($1,765) an O2 subscriber on the loose in France and £1,800 ($3,529) running amok in the States.
Think that's bad? Well, you're right—it is bad. But there's worse!
O2's UK competitor T-Mobile charges £7.50 / MB. The extortionists at Orange get £8 / MB.
[u] In related news, AppleInsider reports that international pre-paid subscribers are expected to pay in excess of $600 upfront plus the cost of service for the iPhone. It's believed that 10% of Apple's touch-screen handset customers will use this method of purchase. [u]
Editor's note: Ouch, ouch, ouch and double ouch! Phone companies are just evil!
Be sure to disable roaming as soon as you get yours...
What's your take?
Order online and get free shipping. Exp 9/15
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
- New Twelve South adjustable HiRise Deluxe matches your device
- Apple’s Eddie Cue goes shopping with Apple Pay
- OWC announces ThunderBay 4 mini portable Thunderbolt 2 RAID
- Video: Did you know your Mac is tracking all your downloads? Here's how to fix that.
- Site tracks Apple Stores replacing bent iPhones
- OWC announces 1 TB upgrades for MacBook Air
- Apple website deregisters iMessage on devices
- Trolling AirDrop
- Microsoft rolls out new iPhone Offices, updates for iPad
- Twelve South releases SurfacePad for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Mac OS X Hints site future uncertain
- Jawbone UP3 adds on more sensors
- Macworld looks at Pioneer's CarPlay upgrade
- $99 iPhone 6 expected at Sam's Club
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
Browse and search for more articles