TimesOnline (UK) reports on Apple iPhone partner O2's international roaming data charges and it ain't pretty.
[T]he unlimited data and wi-fi allowances only apply in the UK. Once you start using the device abroad, charges shoot up to £3 ($5.88) for each megabyte (MB) of data downloaded in the EU and £6 elsewhere in the world.
Put into practical terms, that means watching the average BBC iPlayer program (300MB) would cost £900 ($1,765) an O2 subscriber on the loose in France and £1,800 ($3,529) running amok in the States.
Think that's bad? Well, you're right—it is bad. But there's worse!
O2's UK competitor T-Mobile charges £7.50 / MB. The extortionists at Orange get £8 / MB.
[u] In related news, AppleInsider reports that international pre-paid subscribers are expected to pay in excess of $600 upfront plus the cost of service for the iPhone. It's believed that 10% of Apple's touch-screen handset customers will use this method of purchase. [u]
Editor's note: Ouch, ouch, ouch and double ouch! Phone companies are just evil!
Be sure to disable roaming as soon as you get yours...
What's your take?
Order online and get free shipping. Exp 9/15
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
- Podcast: Looftlighter, Sapphire Glass, Robin Williams, Google Customer Service, plus more
- Apple mission statement on its culture of diversity
- A look at Apple University
- iPhone 6 prank
- Podcast: iPhone announcement date, traffic school, Apple-Samsung lawsuit, plus more
- iPhone event reportedly set for September 9th
- Apple, Samsung work towards burying the patent hatchet
- OWC adds software RAID option for ThunderBay external storage
- The Verge: Comcast’s internal customer retention guide
- Lightning dockStubz connector helps solve problem of docking with a case
- iPassword offering extension for third party iOS 8 apps
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
- FLIR One Thermal iPhone case goes on pre-order
Browse and search for more articles