TimesOnline (UK) reports on Apple iPhone partner O2's international roaming data charges and it ain't pretty.
[T]he unlimited data and wi-fi allowances only apply in the UK. Once you start using the device abroad, charges shoot up to £3 ($5.88) for each megabyte (MB) of data downloaded in the EU and £6 elsewhere in the world.
Put into practical terms, that means watching the average BBC iPlayer program (300MB) would cost £900 ($1,765) an O2 subscriber on the loose in France and £1,800 ($3,529) running amok in the States.
Think that's bad? Well, you're right—it is bad. But there's worse!
O2's UK competitor T-Mobile charges £7.50 / MB. The extortionists at Orange get £8 / MB.
[u] In related news, AppleInsider reports that international pre-paid subscribers are expected to pay in excess of $600 upfront plus the cost of service for the iPhone. It's believed that 10% of Apple's touch-screen handset customers will use this method of purchase. [u]
Editor's note: Ouch, ouch, ouch and double ouch! Phone companies are just evil!
Be sure to disable roaming as soon as you get yours...
What's your take?
Order online and get free shipping. Exp 9/15
- Ken Segall on Apple Watch's killer app
- Video: FLIR One thermal camera w/ Lightning Connector for iOS (Second Generation)
- Second gen FLIR One thermal cam with Lightning connector now available
- Report: How free apps are changing ad-supported content
- iOS 9 looks to free up space for OS upgrades
- CarPlay coming to select 2016 Buick and GMC vehicles
- Apple changes course on Radio payments during trial
- Taylor Swift sounds off on Apple Music free trial
- Apple patches some issues with XARA exploit
- On Apple's accessibility push with iOS
- Snowden on Apple privacy initiatives
- Nice overview of new OS X and iOS vulnerabilities
- OS X/iOS flaws may make passwords vunerable
- Dark Sky weather app gets major update
- Adobe announces updates to Creative Cloud
- Instacast podcast player is discontinued
- Apple Pay to deliver 71.5%+ split to music owners
- Ars Technical looks at El Capitan
- Podcast: iOS 9, El Capitan, Apple Watch + More
- Apple’s Schiller talks about 16 GB on entry level devices
- OWC USB-C Dock goes on pre-order
- Apple Watch watchOS 2 announced with native apps
- iOS 9 announced with refinements and iPad features
- OS X 10.11 El Capitan announced
- Apple Pay expands to support reward programs, store cards
Browse and search for more articles