TimesOnline (UK) reports on Apple iPhone partner O2's international roaming data charges and it ain't pretty.
[T]he unlimited data and wi-fi allowances only apply in the UK. Once you start using the device abroad, charges shoot up to £3 ($5.88) for each megabyte (MB) of data downloaded in the EU and £6 elsewhere in the world.
Put into practical terms, that means watching the average BBC iPlayer program (300MB) would cost £900 ($1,765) an O2 subscriber on the loose in France and £1,800 ($3,529) running amok in the States.
Think that's bad? Well, you're right—it is bad. But there's worse!
O2's UK competitor T-Mobile charges £7.50 / MB. The extortionists at Orange get £8 / MB.
[u] In related news, AppleInsider reports that international pre-paid subscribers are expected to pay in excess of $600 upfront plus the cost of service for the iPhone. It's believed that 10% of Apple's touch-screen handset customers will use this method of purchase. [u]
Editor's note: Ouch, ouch, ouch and double ouch! Phone companies are just evil!
Be sure to disable roaming as soon as you get yours...
What's your take?
Order online and get free shipping. Exp 9/15
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
- FLIR One Thermal iPhone case goes on pre-order
- New MacBook Air stickers ad
- A detailed look at Yosemite and iOS 8 Continuity features
- Maroon 5, Pharrel Williams, Beck headline iTunes Festival
- Comcast vs Ryan Block
- Apple launches Swift developer blog
- LEGO Fusion looks pretty neat
- Tim Cook’s leadership and innovation
- Detailed look at iOS 8 Privacy
- IBM's Watson in the kitchen
- Apple rolls out Back to School Promo
- Apple may be rolling out two-factor verification for iCloud
- Apple revamps iTunes U for better iPad integration
- Apple ends Aperture
- New Parenthood iPhone 5s ad features apps with kids
- Apple updates lowest end iPod touch, trims prices
- Apple’s focus on the customer
- Dropbox app looks to streamline desktop setup
- Apple TV adds on ABC News, PBS Kids, AOL On
- A look inside Dropbox's new HQ
- Apple TV and HomeKit possibilities
- T-Mobile offers unlimited iTunes Radio streaming
- Podcast: Low end iMac, Podcast App, Amazon Phone + More
Browse and search for more articles