TimesOnline (UK) reports on Apple iPhone partner O2's international roaming data charges and it ain't pretty.
[T]he unlimited data and wi-fi allowances only apply in the UK. Once you start using the device abroad, charges shoot up to £3 ($5.88) for each megabyte (MB) of data downloaded in the EU and £6 elsewhere in the world.
Put into practical terms, that means watching the average BBC iPlayer program (300MB) would cost £900 ($1,765) an O2 subscriber on the loose in France and £1,800 ($3,529) running amok in the States.
Think that's bad? Well, you're right—it is bad. But there's worse!
O2's UK competitor T-Mobile charges £7.50 / MB. The extortionists at Orange get £8 / MB.
[u] In related news, AppleInsider reports that international pre-paid subscribers are expected to pay in excess of $600 upfront plus the cost of service for the iPhone. It's believed that 10% of Apple's touch-screen handset customers will use this method of purchase. [u]
Editor's note: Ouch, ouch, ouch and double ouch! Phone companies are just evil!
Be sure to disable roaming as soon as you get yours...
What's your take?
Order online and get free shipping. Exp 9/15
- Walk through video on upgrading Mac Pro CPU
- Podcast: iPhone 6 rumors, CarPlay, Titanfall (#107)
- New app aims to get you out of awkward situations
- Hackintosh: Updating to OS X 10.9.2 + Tips (#21)
- Twelve South announces SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Apple-Tesla battery connection
- Report: Mobile Internet access passes desktop
- Random Steve Jobs stories
- Apple rebrands iOS in the Car as CarPlay
- Video: Kershaw Ken Onion Chive Pocket Knife
- Podcast: Apple's security issue, XBox One grievances + dashboard update
- David Fincher may direct Jobs movie
- FCC Launches iOS broadband survey tester/tool
- OS X security update now available
- Hackintosh Series: Haswell OS X Install and Config + Tips (#20)
- Tips for securing your Mac and data from theft
- Tainted Love backed up by floppy drives
- On the delay updating OS X on gotofail
- Apple’s gotofail security gap extends to OS X
- Trailer for Mike Judge’s Silicon Valley
- Video: Hackintosh Series: BIOS Setup (#19)
- Comcast and Netflix work out a deal
- Steve Jobs to be on postage stamp
- iTunes Festival at SXSW
- Element Case adds iPad Air Soft-Tec Folio case
Browse and search for more articles