ImportGenius, an import tracking and analysis firm, reports that Apple and its logistics partners have imported 188 ocean containers of a product type—"electric computers"—never before declared on its shipping manifests.
“They have never before reported this product on their customs declarations,” says Ryan Petersen, ImportGenius.com. “The fact that they are importing millions of units, combined with dwindling stocks of the first generation of iPhones, clearly supports the ... predictions.”
Specifically, Peterson's referring to CitiBank analyst predictions, but it's the collective wisdom of both the blogsphere and mainstream press (Barrons) that Apple will announce the 3G iPhone on June 9th at the Worldwide Developers Conference.
Other tantalizing details have also been uncovered by Import Genius:
• Apple's regular shipments (ie "desktop computers") haven't fallen off, indicating that these other 188 containers are likely something new
• Each container holds 40,000 units
• Quanta and Hon Hai, Apple's iPhone OEM partners, are the source of the containers
• Shipments of "electric computers" were received on March 19, 27; April 28 and May 6, 17
• A number of shipments went to Ingram Micro, Apple's biggest US distributor
• Another Apple distributor, Schenker AG, took delivery of 67 containers from Shanghai
• Containers containing electric computers were delivered to Vancouver, Canada
All of these delicious details and only one thread, the 3G iPhone, that ties them altogether? We'll simply have to wait for Steve to deliver...
What's your take?
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
- Podcast: Thoughts on iPhone 6/6+, Hot Thighs and Tights Pants, What's Wrong with iPhone Lines
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
- iPhone launch weekend sees 10 million sold
- Thoughts on iPhone sizes
- Apple TV and HomeKit
- iPhone lines and the black market
- Podcast - iPhone pre-orders, iOS 8, Tim Cook Interview + More
- 1Password 5 now available for iOS w/ extensions, touch ID support
- iCloud data gets 2-step verification, new app-specifc passwords
- Apple posts Android switcher guide
- Charlie Rose Tim Cook Interview
- 4 million iPhone orders in first day, up from 2 million for iPhone 5
- Podcast: iPhone 6, Watch, Apple Pay, etc, etc
- New iCloud storage plans rolling out
- Macworld Magazine ends, continues online
- Apple Watch
- The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- Apple Pay
- Podcast: iCloud security tips, TheFappening, Apple Event, plus more
- Wired on how iCloud accounts may have been hacked
- My iCloud security tips
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
Browse and search for more articles