A sudden, unexplained queue Thursday at New York City's swank Fifth Avenue Apple Store prompted many to wonder if Apple had launched the 3G iPhone or some previously unknown product.
More cynical observers, including Engadget, leapt to the conclusion that Improv Everywhere, a group of actors known for their Gotham publicity stunts, had staged the "event."
Improv Everywhere founder Charlie Todd, though glad for the attention, was quick to deny his group's involvement.
For the record, Improv Everywhere has nothing to do with this. Though I do love that we’re now the go-to guess for anything out of the ordinary!
So, why were 60 people queued up outside the Fifth Avenue store (ie the one with the glass cube), complete with barriers and Apple chaperones? AppleInsider discovered the reason to be something altogether more mundane:
Representatives from Apple provided the most logical explanation: the store is simply queuing up iPhone customers to manage the risk of overcrowding at the underground location. Despite its reputation, the Fifth Avenue store is not a large store and is known to be full-to-bursting even without additional factors at work, such as ongoing iPhone shortages and the looming Memorial Day weekend.
OK, everyone, back to your knitting...
- Taking stock of Apple's own OS X apps
- Continuity Activation Tool now for USB dongles
- The backstory on iOS 8's wallpaper
- Twelve South announces BookBook for iPhone 6/6+
- Apple's new touching The Song ad
- Video: Post-It Note App for iOS captures your notes
- iDevices looks to jumpstart Homekit adoption
- Initial Apple-IBM enterprise solutions announced
- OWC announces SSD upgrade for new Mac Pros
- Apple TV gets YouTube update
- iTunes features best of 2014
- Link: Gift Guide for Bourbon Drinkers
- iPad 2 ad Change
- Jimmy Iovine interview on selling Beats to Apple
- Elgato ships Thunderbolt 2 Dock
- Quora: Should Apple recall the iPhone 6 Plus?
- Link - iCloud security tips
- Other World Computing Holiday Specials
- Trans Intl Holiday Deals
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
Browse and search for more articles