A sudden, unexplained queue Thursday at New York City's swank Fifth Avenue Apple Store prompted many to wonder if Apple had launched the 3G iPhone or some previously unknown product.
More cynical observers, including Engadget, leapt to the conclusion that Improv Everywhere, a group of actors known for their Gotham publicity stunts, had staged the "event."
Improv Everywhere founder Charlie Todd, though glad for the attention, was quick to deny his group's involvement.
For the record, Improv Everywhere has nothing to do with this. Though I do love that we’re now the go-to guess for anything out of the ordinary!
So, why were 60 people queued up outside the Fifth Avenue store (ie the one with the glass cube), complete with barriers and Apple chaperones? AppleInsider discovered the reason to be something altogether more mundane:
Representatives from Apple provided the most logical explanation: the store is simply queuing up iPhone customers to manage the risk of overcrowding at the underground location. Despite its reputation, the Fifth Avenue store is not a large store and is known to be full-to-bursting even without additional factors at work, such as ongoing iPhone shortages and the looming Memorial Day weekend.
OK, everyone, back to your knitting...
- Apple Watch Review Diary - The Controls
- Apple Watch Review Diary - The Hardware
- Apple Watch Apps, shipping issues, pop culture reactions
- Some practically useful early Apple Watch apps
- Ars: Inside Apple's ResearchKit
- Apple VP Angela Ahrendts sends video message on Apple Watch to retail employees
- Keynote, PowerPoint apps add support for Apple Watch
- How Apple Watch measures your heart rate
- AnandTech review of new MacBook
- Podcast: Apple Watch try-on experience, new MacBook
- 1Password 5.4 for iOS brings Apple Watch support
- Reddit Infographic visually describe Apple Watch UI
- Andy Hertzfeld on latest Jobs biography
- OWC Envoy Pro mini brings up to 480GB on a USB 3.0 stick
- Apple sets June 8th for WWDC
- Apple releases ResearchKit medical research framework
- The Apple Watch store appointment experience
- Podcast: Picking an Apple Watch, 1Password OTP
- Apple Watch goes on pre-order Friday exclusively online
- Apple VP Ahrendts tells staff best way to buy Apple Watch
- 1Password for Mac 5.3 adds TOTP Password support
- Star Wars: The Digital Movie Collection comings to iTunes
- HBO Now launches for iOS
- Apple offering employees up to 50% discount on Apple Watch at launch
- Apple Watch Guided Tours
Browse and search for more articles