A sudden, unexplained queue Thursday at New York City's swank Fifth Avenue Apple Store prompted many to wonder if Apple had launched the 3G iPhone or some previously unknown product.
More cynical observers, including Engadget, leapt to the conclusion that Improv Everywhere, a group of actors known for their Gotham publicity stunts, had staged the "event."
Improv Everywhere founder Charlie Todd, though glad for the attention, was quick to deny his group's involvement.
For the record, Improv Everywhere has nothing to do with this. Though I do love that we’re now the go-to guess for anything out of the ordinary!
So, why were 60 people queued up outside the Fifth Avenue store (ie the one with the glass cube), complete with barriers and Apple chaperones? AppleInsider discovered the reason to be something altogether more mundane:
Representatives from Apple provided the most logical explanation: the store is simply queuing up iPhone customers to manage the risk of overcrowding at the underground location. Despite its reputation, the Fifth Avenue store is not a large store and is known to be full-to-bursting even without additional factors at work, such as ongoing iPhone shortages and the looming Memorial Day weekend.
OK, everyone, back to your knitting...
- Podcast: End of Macworld Expo? Mac Hack, Jobs movie + more
- Tool and guides emerge to upgrade older Macs for Yosemite Continuity/Handoff
- Google Inbox
- Memory upgrades for new 5K iMac from Other World Computing
- Dropbox adds iPhone 6/6+, Touch ID support
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
- T-Mobile CEO Legere on Bendgate
- Podcast: Verizon Plans, Windows 10, Apple QA, plus much more
- Apple Activation Lock Status website
- Vogue Profiles Ive
- Verizon promotion boosts shared data plans
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
Browse and search for more articles