Guardian is running an interesting take on the past and future of DRM'd music.
Therein, digital tunes will break down into three segments—low-quality, advertising-support services; mid-range offerings that bundle tunes with devices, like Nokia's "Comes with Music;" and the high-end, ie a la carte iTunes downloads with or without DRM.
Mark Mulligan, digital music analyst, Jupiter Research, says he expects that Apple will change its approach and embrace next-gen services.
Get 25 FREE iPod® compatible downloads from eMusic!Choose from over 2.8 Million songs!
"It's highly likely Apple will get into the next-generation service game," he says without elaborating on the all-important why. "That could be Apple selling iPods pre-installed with unlimited access to music, or with a bundle to a subscription offering."
It's worth noting that Apple likely doesn't need to do anything to maintain its dominance of digital music. It's also worth noting that Apple has a long history of breaking its own successful business models to obviate the competition.
Which will it be? Status quo or something new embodying "services" (ie pay forever music)?
I for one am not opposed to things staying just as they are...
What's your take?
- Walk through video on upgrading Mac Pro CPU
- Podcast: iPhone 6 rumors, CarPlay, Titanfall (#107)
- New app aims to get you out of awkward situations
- Hackintosh: Updating to OS X 10.9.2 + Tips (#21)
- Twelve South announces SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Apple-Tesla battery connection
- Report: Mobile Internet access passes desktop
- Random Steve Jobs stories
- Apple rebrands iOS in the Car as CarPlay
- Video: Kershaw Ken Onion Chive Pocket Knife
- Podcast: Apple's security issue, XBox One grievances + dashboard update
- David Fincher may direct Jobs movie
- FCC Launches iOS broadband survey tester/tool
- OS X security update now available
- Hackintosh Series: Haswell OS X Install and Config + Tips (#20)
- Tips for securing your Mac and data from theft
- Tainted Love backed up by floppy drives
- On the delay updating OS X on gotofail
- Apple’s gotofail security gap extends to OS X
- Trailer for Mike Judge’s Silicon Valley
- Video: Hackintosh Series: BIOS Setup (#19)
- Comcast and Netflix work out a deal
- Steve Jobs to be on postage stamp
- iTunes Festival at SXSW
- Element Case adds iPad Air Soft-Tec Folio case
Browse and search for more articles