Guardian is running an interesting take on the past and future of DRM'd music.
Therein, digital tunes will break down into three segments—low-quality, advertising-support services; mid-range offerings that bundle tunes with devices, like Nokia's "Comes with Music;" and the high-end, ie a la carte iTunes downloads with or without DRM.
Mark Mulligan, digital music analyst, Jupiter Research, says he expects that Apple will change its approach and embrace next-gen services.
Get 25 FREE iPod® compatible downloads from eMusic!Choose from over 2.8 Million songs!
"It's highly likely Apple will get into the next-generation service game," he says without elaborating on the all-important why. "That could be Apple selling iPods pre-installed with unlimited access to music, or with a bundle to a subscription offering."
It's worth noting that Apple likely doesn't need to do anything to maintain its dominance of digital music. It's also worth noting that Apple has a long history of breaking its own successful business models to obviate the competition.
Which will it be? Status quo or something new embodying "services" (ie pay forever music)?
I for one am not opposed to things staying just as they are...
What's your take?
- Live @ 9:30 PM ET - MacBook's USB-C Connector, Meerkat, Super Troopers, + More
- TED comes to Apple TV
- Agile Bits on passwords and security theater
- Fitbit to add multiple tracker support
- Report: Major Apple TV update, app store expected
- ABC News gets tour of Apple health and fitness lab
- Haptic touchpad on new MacBook Pro
- Tim Cook on internal collaboration and the customer experience
- Report: Apple TV subscription service expected this fall
- Want to live above an Apple Store?
- New movie: Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine
- Confusion over the MacBook's USB-C port
- Podcast: The Apple Watch
- Griffen WatchStand announced for Apple Watch
- Waterfield Designs Time Travel case for the Apple Watch
- The Apple Watch
- New MacBook comes in smaller, lighter than MacBook Air
- HBO Now official announced for Apple devices
- Reserve Strap battery backup for Apple Watch
- Podcast: Switching to iPhone 6 Plus, Apple Watch Role Playing, Over-Under + More
- New Steve Jobs book announced
- Apple promotes iPhone 6 photo gallery
- Tim Cook talks up customer privacy
- iPhone design and battery life
- Apple event scheduled for March 9th
Browse and search for more articles