Guardian is running an interesting take on the past and future of DRM'd music.
Therein, digital tunes will break down into three segments—low-quality, advertising-support services; mid-range offerings that bundle tunes with devices, like Nokia's "Comes with Music;" and the high-end, ie a la carte iTunes downloads with or without DRM.
Mark Mulligan, digital music analyst, Jupiter Research, says he expects that Apple will change its approach and embrace next-gen services.
Get 25 FREE iPod® compatible downloads from eMusic!Choose from over 2.8 Million songs!
"It's highly likely Apple will get into the next-generation service game," he says without elaborating on the all-important why. "That could be Apple selling iPods pre-installed with unlimited access to music, or with a bundle to a subscription offering."
It's worth noting that Apple likely doesn't need to do anything to maintain its dominance of digital music. It's also worth noting that Apple has a long history of breaking its own successful business models to obviate the competition.
Which will it be? Status quo or something new embodying "services" (ie pay forever music)?
I for one am not opposed to things staying just as they are...
What's your take?
- Memory upgrades for new 5K iMac from Other World Computing
- Dropbox adds iPhone 6/6+, Touch ID support
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
- T-Mobile CEO Legere on Bendgate
- Podcast: Verizon Plans, Windows 10, Apple QA, plus much more
- Apple Activation Lock Status website
- Vogue Profiles Ive
- Verizon promotion boosts shared data plans
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
- Podcast: Thoughts on iPhone 6/6+, Hot Thighs and Tights Pants, What's Wrong with iPhone Lines
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
- iPhone launch weekend sees 10 million sold
Browse and search for more articles