New York Times reports on the down-state, White Plains, NY misadventures of Edmon Shahikian, 23, and Ian Frias, 20, who stole a bunch of valuable stuff, including a Mac portable with Back to My Mac set up.
“When you take a picture with that computer, it shows a countdown, and when it does, this guy figures out what’s going on,” said Daniel Jackson, deputy commissioner, public safety, White Plains. “It all clicks for him, and he puts his hand up to cover the lens, but it was too late.”
The dopey thief caught on camera was Ian Frias. He stole the Mac from Kait Duplaga, an Apple Store employee, while attending a party at her house.
“It doesn’t get much better than their bringing us a picture of the guy actually using the stolen property,” said Jackson. “It certainly made our job easier. The fact that they knew who these guys were certainly added solvability.”
After Kait learned her Mac was being used online, she fired up Back to My Mac, popped the pic, figured out who Tweedle Dum was and then gave the pic to police. Tweedle dee was subsequently arrested, as well.
An open and shut case.
Editor's note: .Mac? $69 when you buy a new Mac. Snapping Ian's pic? Priceless...
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
- Walgreens and Apple Pay
- Fitbit bring out three new fitness wristband
- Apple Pay sparks rift between merchants and credit cards
- Podcast: End of Macworld Expo? Mac Hack, Jobs movie + more
- Tool and guides emerge to upgrade older Macs for Yosemite Continuity/Handoff
- Google Inbox
- Memory upgrades for new 5K iMac from Other World Computing
- Dropbox adds iPhone 6/6+, Touch ID support
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
- T-Mobile CEO Legere on Bendgate
- Podcast: Verizon Plans, Windows 10, Apple QA, plus much more
- Apple Activation Lock Status website
Browse and search for more articles