New York Times reports on the down-state, White Plains, NY misadventures of Edmon Shahikian, 23, and Ian Frias, 20, who stole a bunch of valuable stuff, including a Mac portable with Back to My Mac set up.
“When you take a picture with that computer, it shows a countdown, and when it does, this guy figures out what’s going on,” said Daniel Jackson, deputy commissioner, public safety, White Plains. “It all clicks for him, and he puts his hand up to cover the lens, but it was too late.”
The dopey thief caught on camera was Ian Frias. He stole the Mac from Kait Duplaga, an Apple Store employee, while attending a party at her house.
“It doesn’t get much better than their bringing us a picture of the guy actually using the stolen property,” said Jackson. “It certainly made our job easier. The fact that they knew who these guys were certainly added solvability.”
After Kait learned her Mac was being used online, she fired up Back to My Mac, popped the pic, figured out who Tweedle Dum was and then gave the pic to police. Tweedle dee was subsequently arrested, as well.
An open and shut case.
Editor's note: .Mac? $69 when you buy a new Mac. Snapping Ian's pic? Priceless...
- Trans Intl announce performance 2 TB Tiger SSD
- Ken Segall on Apple Watch's killer app
- Video: FLIR One thermal camera w/ Lightning Connector for iOS (Second Generation)
- Second gen FLIR One thermal cam with Lightning connector now available
- Report: How free apps are changing ad-supported content
- iOS 9 looks to free up space for OS upgrades
- CarPlay coming to select 2016 Buick and GMC vehicles
- Apple changes course on Radio payments during trial
- Taylor Swift sounds off on Apple Music free trial
- Apple patches some issues with XARA exploit
- On Apple's accessibility push with iOS
- Snowden on Apple privacy initiatives
- Nice overview of new OS X and iOS vulnerabilities
- OS X/iOS flaws may make passwords vunerable
- Dark Sky weather app gets major update
- Adobe announces updates to Creative Cloud
- Instacast podcast player is discontinued
- Apple Pay to deliver 71.5%+ split to music owners
- Ars Technical looks at El Capitan
- Podcast: iOS 9, El Capitan, Apple Watch + More
- Apple’s Schiller talks about 16 GB on entry level devices
- OWC USB-C Dock goes on pre-order
- Apple Watch watchOS 2 announced with native apps
- iOS 9 announced with refinements and iPad features
- OS X 10.11 El Capitan announced
Browse and search for more articles