PC EFI v8, the software used to load Leopard on PsyStar's OpenComputer, was created by Netkas and he says that the upstart Florida company causing all the ruckus is using his work without permission and against the terms of the app's license.
"That guy's said they sell computers with efi v8 emulator," says Netkas. "They forgot to mention [the] author of [the] emulator, so it looks like they made efi v8. So, this is violation of my authorship rights on pc efi v8."
Netkas quotes the PC EFI v8 license to further bolster his claim:
Redistribution and use in binary form for direct or indirect commercial purposes, with or without modification, is stricktly forbidden.
That's pretty clear—permission wasn't asked or given, proper attribution hasn't been given and the license bars commercial use.
However, given PsyStar's public contempt for Apple's Leopard EULA, which bars loadings the OS on third-party hardware, it seems rather unlikely that the Mac clone "maker" will respect Netkas' intentions or his license either.
Further, according to lawyers IGM quoted yesterday (Wired), legal avenues of recourse don't give Netkas, assuming he has the inclination and money to hire a lawyer, much power to stop Psystar.
...Ted Man, echos the point in saying, "Generally speaking, these user agreements are much weaker than other forms of litigation ... Companies make them as broad as possible, but there's no way to basically enforce them. It's a scare tactic, a way to say, hey, we're reserving all these rights."
So, is that it? Can PsyStar run roughshod over Apple and Netkas' rights with impunity?
As IGM reported yesterday, Apple could likely keep PsyStar tied up in court for years, which alone might prove fatal for the small company. Also, Apple likely has technical ways of blocking PsyStar at the OS level.
Given his (likely) lack of resources and the fundamental purpose of his software, perhaps Netkas' best and only recourse is stop making PC EFI...
What's your take?
- BassJump Subwoofer gets update for Mavericks
- Video: Shinola Premium Leather iPhone 5/5s case
- Honda announces further integration with iPhones
- Apple acquires Topsy Labs
- A look at some 4K monitor options
- Rockstar bringing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas to iOS
- GLIF iPhone mount get update to be adjustable
- Honda rolling out Siri Eye Free on selection 2014 vehicles
- ScreenFlow 4.5 now available with Mavericks support
- Apple announces Black Friday sales
- iPhone 5s now available unlocked from Apple
- Apple buys 3D sensor company
- Podcast: Power outage, bad phone carriers, PS4, CoD, plus more
- Fifty Three announces Pencil Stylus
- OWC adds USB 3.0 to Mercury Elite Pro Qx2 enclosures
- MOGA Ace Power iOS game controller
- Sprint offers free 12 month smartphone service for students
- Find My Friends app get iOS 7 treatment
- PBS, Yahoo Screen comes to Apple TV
- Podcast: Episode 100, iPad mini, iPhone case is crappy or not? Everpix, plus more
- My iPhone Home Page AppsVideo:
- Video: Apple Leather iPhone 5/5S Case (Product RED)
- Philips announces Hue BR30 bulbs recessed lighting
- Twelve South announces BookBook Travel Journal
- Everpix shuts down
Browse and search for more articles