Quoting an Opinion Research study, NJBiz reports that smart phone owners are returning the devices at high rates.
"Smartphones were the items consumers had the most difficulty with,” says Kevin Wood, senior technology analyst, Opinion Research. “Prior to the release of iPhone, smartphones were predominantly used by information technology pros, tech geeks and business decision makers.
“Smartphone manufacturers are still producing out-of-the-box instructions more in line with what a tech savvy IT pro might do,” says Wood.
The online poll of about 2,000 respondents who received any 16 different products revealed the following:
• 21 percent of smart phone owners returned them, because of difficulty using features
• 14.5 percent of BlackBerry owners surveyed returned the device
• 12 percent of iPhone owners surveyed returned the device
The survey considered smart phones, the BlackBerry and iPhone all to be separate categories.
This news contrasts with sales data collected by NPD that shows smartphone sales rising 163 percent in Q3 '07 over the same period in '06.
Editor's note: I don't know how returns are reckoned vis-a-vis inventory and sales, but 12 percent of 4 million is 480,000—perhaps a big chuck of Apple's "missing iPhones". Also, perhaps a major source of unlocked, gray-market handsets that are appearing worldwide...
What's your take?
- Memory upgrades for new 5K iMac from Other World Computing
- Dropbox adds iPhone 6/6+, Touch ID support
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
- T-Mobile CEO Legere on Bendgate
- Podcast: Verizon Plans, Windows 10, Apple QA, plus much more
- Apple Activation Lock Status website
- Vogue Profiles Ive
- Verizon promotion boosts shared data plans
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
- Podcast: Thoughts on iPhone 6/6+, Hot Thighs and Tights Pants, What's Wrong with iPhone Lines
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
- iPhone launch weekend sees 10 million sold
Browse and search for more articles