Quoting an Opinion Research study, NJBiz reports that smart phone owners are returning the devices at high rates.
"Smartphones were the items consumers had the most difficulty with,” says Kevin Wood, senior technology analyst, Opinion Research. “Prior to the release of iPhone, smartphones were predominantly used by information technology pros, tech geeks and business decision makers.
“Smartphone manufacturers are still producing out-of-the-box instructions more in line with what a tech savvy IT pro might do,” says Wood.
The online poll of about 2,000 respondents who received any 16 different products revealed the following:
• 21 percent of smart phone owners returned them, because of difficulty using features
• 14.5 percent of BlackBerry owners surveyed returned the device
• 12 percent of iPhone owners surveyed returned the device
The survey considered smart phones, the BlackBerry and iPhone all to be separate categories.
This news contrasts with sales data collected by NPD that shows smartphone sales rising 163 percent in Q3 '07 over the same period in '06.
Editor's note: I don't know how returns are reckoned vis-a-vis inventory and sales, but 12 percent of 4 million is 480,000—perhaps a big chuck of Apple's "missing iPhones". Also, perhaps a major source of unlocked, gray-market handsets that are appearing worldwide...
What's your take?
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Making/Receiving Phone Calls
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Siri
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Maps/Navigation
- Apple Watch Review Diary - The Controls
- Apple Watch Review Diary - The Hardware
- Apple Watch Apps, shipping issues, pop culture reactions
- Some practically useful early Apple Watch apps
- Ars: Inside Apple's ResearchKit
- Apple VP Angela Ahrendts sends video message on Apple Watch to retail employees
- Keynote, PowerPoint apps add support for Apple Watch
- How Apple Watch measures your heart rate
- AnandTech review of new MacBook
- Podcast: Apple Watch try-on experience, new MacBook
- 1Password 5.4 for iOS brings Apple Watch support
- Reddit Infographic visually describe Apple Watch UI
- Andy Hertzfeld on latest Jobs biography
- OWC Envoy Pro mini brings up to 480GB on a USB 3.0 stick
- Apple sets June 8th for WWDC
- Apple releases ResearchKit medical research framework
- The Apple Watch store appointment experience
- Podcast: Picking an Apple Watch, 1Password OTP
- Apple Watch goes on pre-order Friday exclusively online
- Apple VP Ahrendts tells staff best way to buy Apple Watch
- 1Password for Mac 5.3 adds TOTP Password support
- Star Wars: The Digital Movie Collection comings to iTunes
Browse and search for more articles