Businessweek asks whether Apple has quietly licensed its Fairplay DRM to Fox. Based on the late 2007 announcement that Fox DVDs would use Fairplay, this would be a reasonable assumption.
Fox's movies should then be capable of being ripped to iTunes, without having to resort to third-party tools. But Fairplay is one of Apple's 'crown jewels', and it hasn't let anyone else get their hands on it. But even if it is being licensed to the studios for DVD, this isn't the start of a wide-ranging strategy to make Fairplay a standard form of DRM (although, by default, it would become one, if it were included on the major studios' DVDs).
WMV and its associated DRM is the standard for HD-DVD, but Fox will, at this point simply have a .wmv encoded copy, as well as an H.264 version, of the movies on DVDs. Of course, this doesn't work with anything that comes out of Cupertino, be it iPod, iPhone or iTunes.
Regardless, Apple's movie and video strategy is going to be much clearer come next week. The DRM probably won't bother average consumers (as Fairplay on iTS tracks hasn't). It'll be the price that counts.
- Dropbox adds iPhone 6/6+, Touch ID support
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
- T-Mobile CEO Legere on Bendgate
- Podcast: Verizon Plans, Windows 10, Apple QA, plus much more
- Apple Activation Lock Status website
- Vogue Profiles Ive
- Verizon promotion boosts shared data plans
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
- Podcast: Thoughts on iPhone 6/6+, Hot Thighs and Tights Pants, What's Wrong with iPhone Lines
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
- iPhone launch weekend sees 10 million sold
- Thoughts on iPhone sizes
Browse and search for more articles