Businessweek asks whether Apple has quietly licensed its Fairplay DRM to Fox. Based on the late 2007 announcement that Fox DVDs would use Fairplay, this would be a reasonable assumption.
Fox's movies should then be capable of being ripped to iTunes, without having to resort to third-party tools. But Fairplay is one of Apple's 'crown jewels', and it hasn't let anyone else get their hands on it. But even if it is being licensed to the studios for DVD, this isn't the start of a wide-ranging strategy to make Fairplay a standard form of DRM (although, by default, it would become one, if it were included on the major studios' DVDs).
WMV and its associated DRM is the standard for HD-DVD, but Fox will, at this point simply have a .wmv encoded copy, as well as an H.264 version, of the movies on DVDs. Of course, this doesn't work with anything that comes out of Cupertino, be it iPod, iPhone or iTunes.
Regardless, Apple's movie and video strategy is going to be much clearer come next week. The DRM probably won't bother average consumers (as Fairplay on iTS tracks hasn't). It'll be the price that counts.
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
- Podcast: Looftlighter, Sapphire Glass, Robin Williams, Google Customer Service, plus more
- Apple mission statement on its culture of diversity
- A look at Apple University
- iPhone 6 prank
- Podcast: iPhone announcement date, traffic school, Apple-Samsung lawsuit, plus more
- iPhone event reportedly set for September 9th
- Apple, Samsung work towards burying the patent hatchet
- OWC adds software RAID option for ThunderBay external storage
- The Verge: Comcast’s internal customer retention guide
- Lightning dockStubz connector helps solve problem of docking with a case
- iPassword offering extension for third party iOS 8 apps
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
- FLIR One Thermal iPhone case goes on pre-order
Browse and search for more articles