Businessweek asks whether Apple has quietly licensed its Fairplay DRM to Fox. Based on the late 2007 announcement that Fox DVDs would use Fairplay, this would be a reasonable assumption.
Fox's movies should then be capable of being ripped to iTunes, without having to resort to third-party tools. But Fairplay is one of Apple's 'crown jewels', and it hasn't let anyone else get their hands on it. But even if it is being licensed to the studios for DVD, this isn't the start of a wide-ranging strategy to make Fairplay a standard form of DRM (although, by default, it would become one, if it were included on the major studios' DVDs).
WMV and its associated DRM is the standard for HD-DVD, but Fox will, at this point simply have a .wmv encoded copy, as well as an H.264 version, of the movies on DVDs. Of course, this doesn't work with anything that comes out of Cupertino, be it iPod, iPhone or iTunes.
Regardless, Apple's movie and video strategy is going to be much clearer come next week. The DRM probably won't bother average consumers (as Fairplay on iTS tracks hasn't). It'll be the price that counts.
- Podcast: iOS 7, Mavericks, Mac Pro, iTunes Radio + More
- Microsoft Office now on iPhone, but only for 365 subscribers
- iOS 7's new look
- Video - Breaking down the new Apple Mac Pro
- Video - Breaking down the 2013 MacBook Air
- OS X Mavericks' power saving magic
- New MacBook Air benchmarks prove it's all about the battery
- Apple posts two new ads shown at WWDC
- 2013 WWDC keynote video now posted
- iOS 7 gets major UX overhaul
- Apple previews next Mac Pro, but who will buy?
- iTunes Radio brings free streaming music to iOS/iTunes
- OS X 10.9 Mavericks announced
- Apple updates MacBook Air with new battery, GPU performance
- AT&T to enforce full two-year upgrade cycle
- WWDC keynote to be streamed
- Adobe Lightroom 5 now available via Creative Cloud, stand-alone
- Apple rumored to be close to Internet radio service
- VacMaster VP215 Chamber Vacuum Sealer (Video)
- Eye-Fi Mobi transmits camera pics to iOS
- AirDrop coming to iOS 7?
- Apple may be planning an ad exchange system
- Podcast: Tim Cook, Retro Gaming, WWDC, Arrested Development
- Cheaper 5G iPod tough springs up for $229 sans iSight
- August Smart Lock makes your deadbolt lock smart
Browse and search for more articles