Apple and Fox have inked a deal for a new video-on-demand (VOD) service, which is expected to be announced at Macworld San Francisco, according to a Financial Times (registration required) report.
“Fox and potentially other studios are coming around to the idea that there is nobody out there to challenge iTunes,” said Jonathan Weitz, IBB Consulting. “This deal is a sign that media mobility is coming to the mainstream.”
The agreement will allow consumers to rent the latest Fox DVD releases and download them via iTunes, according to an unnamed source. Titles will be playable for a limited time.
Further, a digital file protected by FairPlay, Apple's digital rights management scheme, will be included in new Fox DVD releases, enabling film content to be transferred or “ripped” from the disc to a computer and video-capable iPods.
Rumors of an Apple / Fox deal have circulated for months.
In related news, New York Times confirms the above and goes on to state that Disney will also allow movie rentals via the iTunes Store.
Editor's note: True file mobility would be great, but I doubt this is it.
The question is whether this Apple-Fox deal offers a workable mix of price and freedom. Only time will tell...
What's your take?
- Google Inbox
- Memory upgrades for new 5K iMac from Other World Computing
- Dropbox adds iPhone 6/6+, Touch ID support
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
- T-Mobile CEO Legere on Bendgate
- Podcast: Verizon Plans, Windows 10, Apple QA, plus much more
- Apple Activation Lock Status website
- Vogue Profiles Ive
- Verizon promotion boosts shared data plans
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
- Podcast: Thoughts on iPhone 6/6+, Hot Thighs and Tights Pants, What's Wrong with iPhone Lines
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
Browse and search for more articles