Apple and Fox have inked a deal for a new video-on-demand (VOD) service, which is expected to be announced at Macworld San Francisco, according to a Financial Times (registration required) report.
“Fox and potentially other studios are coming around to the idea that there is nobody out there to challenge iTunes,” said Jonathan Weitz, IBB Consulting. “This deal is a sign that media mobility is coming to the mainstream.”
The agreement will allow consumers to rent the latest Fox DVD releases and download them via iTunes, according to an unnamed source. Titles will be playable for a limited time.
Further, a digital file protected by FairPlay, Apple's digital rights management scheme, will be included in new Fox DVD releases, enabling film content to be transferred or “ripped” from the disc to a computer and video-capable iPods.
Rumors of an Apple / Fox deal have circulated for months.
In related news, New York Times confirms the above and goes on to state that Disney will also allow movie rentals via the iTunes Store.
Editor's note: True file mobility would be great, but I doubt this is it.
The question is whether this Apple-Fox deal offers a workable mix of price and freedom. Only time will tell...
What's your take?
- Taking stock of Apple's own OS X apps
- Continuity Activation Tool now for USB dongles
- The backstory on iOS 8's wallpaper
- Twelve South announces BookBook for iPhone 6/6+
- Apple's new touching The Song ad
- Video: Post-It Note App for iOS captures your notes
- iDevices looks to jumpstart Homekit adoption
- Initial Apple-IBM enterprise solutions announced
- OWC announces SSD upgrade for new Mac Pros
- Apple TV gets YouTube update
- iTunes features best of 2014
- Link: Gift Guide for Bourbon Drinkers
- iPad 2 ad Change
- Jimmy Iovine interview on selling Beats to Apple
- Elgato ships Thunderbolt 2 Dock
- Quora: Should Apple recall the iPhone 6 Plus?
- Link - iCloud security tips
- Other World Computing Holiday Specials
- Trans Intl Holiday Deals
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
Browse and search for more articles