Apple and Fox have inked a deal for a new video-on-demand (VOD) service, which is expected to be announced at Macworld San Francisco, according to a Financial Times (registration required) report.
“Fox and potentially other studios are coming around to the idea that there is nobody out there to challenge iTunes,” said Jonathan Weitz, IBB Consulting. “This deal is a sign that media mobility is coming to the mainstream.”
The agreement will allow consumers to rent the latest Fox DVD releases and download them via iTunes, according to an unnamed source. Titles will be playable for a limited time.
Further, a digital file protected by FairPlay, Apple's digital rights management scheme, will be included in new Fox DVD releases, enabling film content to be transferred or “ripped” from the disc to a computer and video-capable iPods.
Rumors of an Apple / Fox deal have circulated for months.
In related news, New York Times confirms the above and goes on to state that Disney will also allow movie rentals via the iTunes Store.
Editor's note: True file mobility would be great, but I doubt this is it.
The question is whether this Apple-Fox deal offers a workable mix of price and freedom. Only time will tell...
What's your take?
- Evernote launches Pebble app
- Wello iPhone case delivers suite of biometric readings
- Walk through video on upgrading Mac Pro CPU
- Podcast: iPhone 6 rumors, CarPlay, Titanfall (#107)
- New app aims to get you out of awkward situations
- Hackintosh: Updating to OS X 10.9.2 + Tips (#21)
- Twelve South announces SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Apple-Tesla battery connection
- Report: Mobile Internet access passes desktop
- Random Steve Jobs stories
- Apple rebrands iOS in the Car as CarPlay
- Video: Kershaw Ken Onion Chive Pocket Knife
- Podcast: Apple's security issue, XBox One grievances + dashboard update
- David Fincher may direct Jobs movie
- FCC Launches iOS broadband survey tester/tool
- OS X security update now available
- Hackintosh Series: Haswell OS X Install and Config + Tips (#20)
- Tips for securing your Mac and data from theft
- Tainted Love backed up by floppy drives
- On the delay updating OS X on gotofail
- Apple’s gotofail security gap extends to OS X
- Trailer for Mike Judge’s Silicon Valley
- Video: Hackintosh Series: BIOS Setup (#19)
- Comcast and Netflix work out a deal
- Steve Jobs to be on postage stamp
Browse and search for more articles