Apple and Fox have inked a deal for a new video-on-demand (VOD) service, which is expected to be announced at Macworld San Francisco, according to a Financial Times (registration required) report.
“Fox and potentially other studios are coming around to the idea that there is nobody out there to challenge iTunes,” said Jonathan Weitz, IBB Consulting. “This deal is a sign that media mobility is coming to the mainstream.”
The agreement will allow consumers to rent the latest Fox DVD releases and download them via iTunes, according to an unnamed source. Titles will be playable for a limited time.
Further, a digital file protected by FairPlay, Apple's digital rights management scheme, will be included in new Fox DVD releases, enabling film content to be transferred or “ripped” from the disc to a computer and video-capable iPods.
Rumors of an Apple / Fox deal have circulated for months.
In related news, New York Times confirms the above and goes on to state that Disney will also allow movie rentals via the iTunes Store.
Editor's note: True file mobility would be great, but I doubt this is it.
The question is whether this Apple-Fox deal offers a workable mix of price and freedom. Only time will tell...
What's your take?
- My iCloud security tips
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
- Podcast: Looftlighter, Sapphire Glass, Robin Williams, Google Customer Service, plus more
- Apple mission statement on its culture of diversity
- A look at Apple University
- iPhone 6 prank
- Podcast: iPhone announcement date, traffic school, Apple-Samsung lawsuit, plus more
- iPhone event reportedly set for September 9th
- Apple, Samsung work towards burying the patent hatchet
- OWC adds software RAID option for ThunderBay external storage
- The Verge: Comcast’s internal customer retention guide
- Lightning dockStubz connector helps solve problem of docking with a case
- iPassword offering extension for third party iOS 8 apps
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
Browse and search for more articles